My Five Most Dreaded Quests

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by Susurrus in Gloaming, Jun 9, 2020.

1. So I told myself if I ever got around to clearing out these last five nasty quests I would write them up, because I really did not want to do them, and maybe it will help some others clear up their bucket lists.

Part 1 - Black Plume 1hp - This one was actually not too bad!

Here's the crew:

Buffy
    Level 24 Human Priest

Staabien
    Level 24 Elf Warrior

Barda
    Level 20 Human Priest

I tried a Fulg's Cleansing Pot on each of the priests for part one and that worked well, but then on parts 2 & 3 I switched to extra nimbuses from a third Shielding Token. Otherwise that build worked the whole way through. Leadership is key to setting up warrior with nimbus and killing combo of cards to move in and make good use of nimbus. Obv, priests are filtering for more lifesaving blocks and nimbus, and of course Negative Energy Being. Be careful not to vamp or cleanse on yourself while you have NEB!

Blizkenripper took a few tries, and even with lucky draws his breath attack can just wipe away your whole game plan. Try to keep only the elf warrior in range of him and he seems not to want to use the breath weapon on just one character. Slippery was great here.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  2. Part 2 - Troll Tryant 1hp

Three men (gurjani, Temaukel, myself) set out on a dangerous mission to tussle with the tyrannical troll while we ourselves were on the very precipice of death already . Before we could even pass the first part, Temaukel was consumed by one of the nastiest of all monsters in Cardhuntria - a bad internet connection. gurjani and I wept many tears at Temaukel's passing, but then we kicked him from the team and restarted. Now here's where you might get mad - I forgot to record our decklists. We changed a bit in between modules anyway, so you'll have to settle for a summary of our strategems.

I played an elf wizard while gurjani kept us alive with a human priest chock full of Livesaving Block and Impenetrable Nimbus.

1st Map - I added some Smoke Bomb to my build for this part, just to keep the flame sprites from pushing nimbus off with their multiple flame attachments. We were able to back into a corner in the southern end of this map and while the priest hid around a corner and applied liberal applications of Impenetrable Nimbus, the elf wizard blasted with various flame attacks and Instant Burn. Also played some Flood here. Thank goodness for free restarts on first parts of modules, cause this one was hard.

2nd Map - Flood dominated this level for us, allowing us to burn enemies with impunity, breezing through on first try.

3rd Map - Flood dominated this level for us (see a trend?). We went to the west and then south to hold a corner where I could surround us both with water terrain completely (Sorry, Temaukel! Only room for two in here!). Took a few tries, but ultimately we were able to maintain flood wall for several rounds while I would Scatter Laser those nasty storges right in their annoying proboscises. gurjani still had to liberally apply Impenetrable Nimbus as laser insurance, but eventually we managed to kill the storges and move on.

4th Map - BRUTAL. We begrudgingly had to stop leaning on Flood here. I swapped it out for more Telekinesis and Gusts Of War which just barely kept the storges off our backs. We really just danced around and applied stabs from priest and Scatter Laser and flame attacks and got very very lucky.

Last thing! I did not mention in any level breakdowns the deadly combo that I kept all the way through and was fantastic throughout: Ancient Grudge / Pathfinding. The nature of 1hp quests is that you are slowly and methodically chewing through the monsters. You have to sacrifice offensive power a bit, but that plays into the slow-roll Pathfinding/Grudge combo. It doesn't cost much in terms of tokens and guess what? Bimson's Death Moat tidily combines two Floods with an Ancient Grudge for a blue token. Elf wizard also wore a Poltergeist's Cape. Two or three grudges is enough in a setup like this where you want to have one show up eventually and have a few turns to chug through anyway. I found that even without the Pathfinding bump, my discard pile was getting into teens and allowing me to get big hits. Of course, nothing beats doing a huge chunk of damage to a troll that finishes him with no chance to regenerate!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  3. The last 3 Quests on my list were the trio 1hp quests for the Mitternacht Adventures. For these there is already an excellent resource by Scarponi: http://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/cm-1hp-quests.10906/

For Spreading Blight and Svitlana's Inquisition, I followed Scarponi's prescription and got through without too much trouble, although the final battle of Svitlana's Inquisition was one of the worst I have faced. I have to remind myself that that one was difficult, because it would be dwarfed by the mission that follows.

Assault on Castle Mitternacht 1hp was the ultimate quest challenge, one that I had to bail on on and return to several times in order to do Loot Fairy, etc. Part one is easy enough to redo, so restarting was no big deal. Part two is the savagely brutal one, in my opinion the single worst RNG cluster%&# of all of the 1hp Quests where you have to rely on everything going perfectly and then some miracles on top of that. After hours of failure yesterday, I restarted the quest this morning, on what was to be my lucky day. Part 1 I breezed through on 1st try. Part 2...I got through on 2nd try! Let's be honest, it was probably my 102nd try, but it was my 2nd try today!

What went so right (miracle #1) was that the Shade did not draw Negative Energy Being on turn 1. Miracle #2 was that he stepped next to my brave priest who stood there with her Catch Arrow, Lifesaving Block, Mighty Bludgeon. Shade took 13 to the face, failing his block roll on Absorbing Block (miracle #3). Miracle #4 was that the Shade also did not draw Hover that turn, while my wizard had Volcano ready. I managed to pass all around and get initiative for turn 2, when I snatched the Shade's last few hit points away with a vamp attack before he could play his traits. Now with the Shade dead so early I had a real shot. For one thing, I don't think he sent any Traveling Curses into the mix before he departed (miracle #5!). Secondly, I no longer had to worry about always having to position for his approach and of course having all my plans ruined when he Wails. From then on I was careful how I managed the Skeletons and Ghosts, the former of which was damaged by Volcano already. From then my wizard was able to burn them a bit more before dying tragically. The remaining two priests managed to protect one another and finish the job both still alive!

I cruised through part 3 on the first attempt, getting into the box on turn 1 with a naturally drawn Swarm Of Bats and a couple of Fly's from ghost form. I managed to draw into Reliable Mail, then survive until werewolf form came along and netted me a couple of Monstrous Hides. Traveling Curses did their work while my wizard napped in his hideout until turn 54 and it was over!

Once again, I highly recommend Scarponi's fantastic resources on 1hp 1quests and thanks a million for all the help! The only changes I made to any of Scarponi's builds for these quests was for Castle Mitternacht. In order to have a better chance to take Traveling Curses that come before you can use Impenetrable Nimbus, I swapped in Unholy Conduit on both priests, which necessitated dropping the Corrupted Shroud for Rusted Angel Mail (Otherwise the Sacred Shroud on either priest can trigger and heal for instadeath! On the wizard I swapped out all 4 Reflex Stones for an equal number of Chiro's Cursed Amulets, figuring the Swarm Of Bats would provide the teleportation I needed and also maybe save elf wizard's life. Glob Of Flame would give me an extra little something to tag those Ice Skeletons with. Ancient Grudge is a longshot, but potential to 1shot kill later is always nice.

All in all, I am so relieved to be done with all the quests! Good luck to anyone else who is walking this path, and may the RNG smile upon you!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020