Cardhunter Survival

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Sir Veza, Oct 14, 2019.

1. stupid531

stupid531 Lizardman Priest

I believe that the most beautiful thing about life is the pure creativity.
    Card Hunter was a brilliant demonstration.
    Even for some reason it might not be able to keep shining as mush as we love it,
    me and many many people will forever remember all those amazing moments in this game.

Thank you again!

2. fatcat__25

fatcat__25 Orc Soldier

I have messed around with Game Maker Studio some (enough to understand what it can do, but not to actually make anything useful), and it seems like one possible method of moving Card Hunter off of flash. It can export to Windows, Linux, Mac, or in a way usable for web browsers. I don't know if the devs are interested in keeping the game going, even if someone else did all the work for them, but we can at least say we did what any community can do, and tried to help.

3. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

If you're a small team, it's very hard to develop, support and make money from a persistent free-to-play online game!

Not complaining, but you can probably read something from the fact that our followup game was none of those things.

ParodyKnaveBob and Sir Veza like this.
  4. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

It seems to be less of a revenue stream and more of a public service. That's why I was suggesting strategies from the non-profit world. Even then, training us fans and users could be a time investment.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  5. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Howdy, fatcat; are you on the GameMaker Community forum, too? $:^ ] I've been a user since about Game Maker 5, well over 15 years ago. (After Game Maker 8.1, the next iteration was GameMaker: HTML5, then GameMaker: Studio, and now GameMaker Studio 2.) It is entirely capable of reproducing CH, no doubts at all, including tools for Steam integration, Kongregate integration, and the current monetization model. (Ever heard of a little game called Undertale? Yep, GM even exports to consoles now.) The only real issues likely would be porting it from the source code and BM's understandable waning interest; I expect all CH's art assets are raster, thus that shouldn't give any Flash-porting difficulty.

Regards,

fatcat__25 likes this.
  6. fatcat__25

fatcat__25 Orc Soldier

I am not currently on the GameMaker forum. If the community can make a non-Flash Card Hunter, they can rebuild the player base, or even make new features, if BM wanted. I would not mind helping, but I am always working on various projects, and need to finish some of them sometime.

Sir Veza likes this.
  7. snickersimba

snickersimba Goblin Champion

I really want cardhunter to stay around! I even talked about buying it from the devs if it came to that! I truly love cardhunter, if I didn't I wouldn't complain nearly as much! I just wish I had a better relationship with the playerbase!

ParodyKnaveBob and fatcat__25 like this.
  8. fatcat__25

fatcat__25 Orc Soldier

It all depends on how you state your opinions. If said correctly, they would lead to debate that, if lively, would at least be friendly, instead of grumpy arguments.

Sir Veza and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  9. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

You could post some of your opinions and proposals in the forum. The ones who read them in chat are primarily waiting for a game or just hanging around in chat. The forums often reach more people.

10. Blizzrd33

Blizzrd33 Orc Soldier

Will the Halloween event be continuing through Christmas?

11. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

I've swapped in the xmas boards but the item specials will hang around until I deploy a new build (in the next few weeks).

12. doublequartz

doublequartz Lizardman Priest

As some of you may have noticed I haven't played the game for few months due to technical reasons.
    While I'm getting a new PC that I might be able to use to play the game within several weeks, I also wish the game can take itself off of a sinking ship which is Flash.

fatcat__25 likes this.
  13. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Isn't the fact that Cardhunter is on Steam a redundancy that renders it immune if flash crashes?
    -naive

14. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

No, the Steam version also uses Flash.

15. fatcat__25

fatcat__25 Orc Soldier

Another random idea I had was that if all else failed, some people from the community could try to create something like a sequel to CH. That would at the least involve new adventures and tweaks to the gameplay, and probably a number of other changes as well. I guess I'm just giving whatever options I think of.

ParodyKnaveBob and Sir Veza like this.
  16. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Github project. Would still need permission from Jon unless we changed it tons.

17. fatcat__25

fatcat__25 Orc Soldier

Of course. And who knows if it would even happen, but at least the idea is out there.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  18. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

When i go on kongregate they recommend adding the supernova swf chrome app to be able to continue playing.
    I'm hoping that if/when chrome shuts down use of flash in jan. 2020 we could at least have an announcement on the frontpage of what browser to use or chrome plugin in order to play, for new users. Us addicts will find a way to play until Blu Manchu closes the curtains forever.

Sir Veza and fatcat__25 like this.
  19. Abysscrane

Abysscrane Guild Leader

A suggestion is for devs to release mod support for the game if they suggest to close down servers or not (we can host our own local servers).

In this way the community can keep the game alive for years to come (an example of this is Battle Brothers) with its excellent mod support.

20. snickersimba

snickersimba Goblin Champion

Last I checked, flash dies in december 2020, but the real thing I think we need is more mods; theres a lot of people who have usernames and character names that are against the ToS and it really is dragging cardhunter down

fatcat__25 likes this.