Card Ideas

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by timeracers, Jan 2, 2015.

1. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Hamstring
    Melee attack
    Damage 5 range 1
    Attach to target. At the beginning of the round target does not draw their racial move card. Duration 1.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  2. Goodwin

Goodwin Ogre

inspired by Battlecon...

Clockwork Armor
    Heavy Armor
    Armor 3, Encumber 3
    Frenzy 3. Discard this armor when you are hit.

Geomantic
    Boost Attack
    Choose one: Add 3 power to target's next attack this turn, OR give attack one extra range, OR cantrip on next attack, OR armor 3 against the next attack this turn

Spellforge Armor
    Heavy Armor
    When you are hit, you take no damage instead, and the opponent's attack returns to their hand. They cannot play it again this turn. Discard this armor afterwards.

Dodge
    Move 3, Cantrip. If you end up behind the opponent, they cannot hit you this turn, but you cannot play any more attacks this turn.

Void Terrain
    Magic. terrain
    Range 4. Target space becomes "void terrain". No character may move or be moved onto that terrain.
    (there is no such thing in battlecon, but many things prevent character movement)

Suppression
    Attack
    Range 1, Damage 5.
    When an opponent plays a move card while in your field of vision, reveal this. So long as this is in your hand, they cannot move outside of your field of vision. Whenever you are hit, move up to 1.

Transcendent
    Passive Magic boost
    When you would take damage, that amount of damage minus two is added to your next attack, then discard this card.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  3. doublequartz

doublequartz Lizardman Priest

My first card Idea:D
    Actually I thought of Scavenger and Frostbite previously but both were posted already:eek:

Inferno Spray
    Magic Fire
    Damage 3 Range 2
    Cone. Attach a Ember Spray Card, a Fire Spray Card and a Magma Spray Card to each target.

4. Frostguard

Frostguard Thaumaturge

Oops, accidentally wrote Zombie Form in Squirrel Form's text. Corrected.

Inferno Spray is interesting. I wonder what its power level could possibly be, as its short range is rather limiting, but this would be bonkers with Firestarter. Even though it's much more vulnerable to being knocked off by other attachments, and of course armor, we're still talking 12 burning damage from one card if Firestarter is attached.

Hamstring is pretty interesting; I never thought of it, although it seems so simple, and very thematic.

Good points, @ParodyKnaveBob! It covering Laser Block is also pretty important and I forgot about it. Admittedly, one of the biggest uses for the card (I believe) would be hedging against Drained Battery; I always find myself reluctant to stock up on laser attacks because a stray Drained Battery (which is bound to happen eventually, and always just when you have two more Laser Thrusts) will invariably ruin your day. But I thought that it'd be fun to add some card selection to laser in general while keeping things random.

And now for some more ideas:

Limited Warranty
    Boost
    Whenever you roll a malfunction on a Laser attack, put it back into your hand. Keep.
    Whenever you roll one on an erratic damage roll, discard Limited Warranty.
    "Our warranty does not cover property damage caused by ooze slime, overload by sparklers, holding the instrument at the wrong end, and similar misuse."
    Note: Credit to @SceoMyntan for the discard clause. At first I wanted to word it as "Keep unless 1" which is doubtlessly more concise, templated after Altruism, but since Limited Warranty is not the card responsible for the dice roll, I decided to type it out in the end. Probably not important since these are not getting implemented, but still. The original concept was named Lifetime Warranty and did not include the discard clause, which I think would've been pretty broken even though a Drained Battery still messes you up. Also, as of now this doesn't include Rocket Dash, but it would be thematic.

Overcharged Laser
    Attack, Melee Laser, Damage 3, Range 1
    Major Erratic Damage, Major Erratic Damage.
    "It is recommended to briefly disconnect the instrument from the power pack every two hours. We do not accept any responsibility for unintended personal and/or property damage resulting from failure to do so."
    Note: I was just wondering if erratic damage could stack. I personally don't see why not, logically speaking, although I have no idea how the game engine handles this stuff.

Which in turn led to...

Supercharged Laser
    Attack, Melee Laser, Damage 2, Range 1
    When you play this attack, roll a six-sided die. This attack gains Major Erratic Damage a number of times equal to the result of that roll.
    "I'll just... refrain from commenting, I believe."

Plasma Strike
    Attack, Magic Fire, Damage 9, Range 1
    Major Erratic Damage. Burning 2, Duration 2.
    "Lasers? That's so last century."

Sadly, the way I understand it, the burning damage would not get erratic damage rolls, but that's from the way the card and the keywords are worded, not from any knowledge of the game code. However, it's also confirmed by the fact that the erratic damage roll happens before the card deals damage (happens even if the card is blocked). Still, I'd be interested in seeing how this plays out...

But who said only laser can be supercharged?

Supercharged Spark
    Attack, Magic Electrical, Damage 8, Range 6
    Supercharged Spark deals 3 Magic Electrical damage to every character within two squares of the target.
    "Have you ever electrified someone so much that..."

5. Goodwin

Goodwin Ogre

Foresight
    Gold quality magic boost
    Target you or an ally: They view the top 3 cards of their deck and rearrange them any order they wish. (If they have less than 3, they view as much as possible)

6. OneAlmond

OneAlmond Kobold

Stunning Ghost
    Utility
    Magic Sonic
    Silver
    When an enemy card kills you, attacker gets Stun. Duration 1. Unblockable. Free Card.

WexMajor, ParodyKnaveBob and tolkien like this.
  7. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Common Cold
    Hybrid boost-handicap
    Trait. Attach to yourself. Whenever you target a character with a melee attack card create a copy of this card and attach it to target. Take 1 point of psychic (or cold) damage at the start of the round. Duration 2.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  8. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

Magic Vice
    Magic Psychic
    Range 6 Damage 2
    Duration 4
    At the end of the round take 1 psychic damage for every card less than 2 you have in hand.

9. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

I think you mean vise, unless of course you are British in which case you've spelled it correctly.

10. Goodwin

Goodwin Ogre

Snare Trap
    Magic terrain, range 6, Duration 2.
    Enemies must stop. When an enemy steps onto this, they take 5 damage, then, the terrain is removed.

Holoprojection
    Magic terrain, range 5, Duration 2.
    When you play a move card, you may instead immediately move to this terrain before applying the move. If you do, remove this terrain after the move is finished.

11. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

I am in fact italian, and I always did a lot of confusion about british and american english.
    I still write honour, for instance. And I have no idea about who says flat and who says apartment.
    That's the curse of learning a language by yourself.

12. doublequartz

doublequartz Lizardman Priest

Demonic Distribution
    Magic Unholy
    Range 6
    Target an ally and an enemy. Create a Demonic Power card in each target's hand.

Disable Weapon
    Melee Slashing
    Damage 8 Range 1
    Target discards a random Melee Attack card from their hand and all cards in the same item from their hand and deck.

Stick Weapon
    Armor 4+
    When you are affected by a Melee attack from front of you, the attacker discards all cards in the same item from their hand and deck.

13. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Empathy
    Tar Quality. Drawback.
    Trait. Attach to yourself. Whenever an ally takes damage you take 1 point of unpreventable psychic damage. (Divine item. Divine weapon. Divine armor. Divine skill.)

14. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Now's the time for that extremely seldom used CH term, destroy.

Amethyst quality? $:^ }
    Rare I expect.

Really neat concept either way. $:^ ]

doublequartz likes this.
  15. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Soporific Song
    (Monster only)
    Attack Sonic
    Mandatory Action. All characters discard all move cards.

I'm trying to suggest monster cards that would make cardhunter harder for future levels (fingers crossed.) I would pair this with Volcano.

16. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

I am seeing something Jiggling and Puffing here :)

17. Frostguard

Frostguard Thaumaturge

Some interesting and fun ideas.

Demonic Distribution looks a bit underpowered. It's net card disadvantage, and if I think about it, you'd probably intend it to be used on an enemy with three or less health, so using the card would kill them, turning it into card advantage. But even that seems dubious - even if you discount how rare it'll be that you draw it at the right time, at best it'll save you one card, especially because the enemy might just pop the Demonic if you have them cornered, in which case you spent a card to save the lethal attack for later, which is zero card advantage. It might work if they also have no allies in range.

Long story short, I really like the idea but in practice I think this would only actually do something useful every leap year. What if it created a Demonic Power in the ally's hand and a Demonic Feedback in the enemy's hand?

I don't think we've had item-specific mechanisms in the game, so that's interesting. I like the idea, although destroying all cards from a specific item sounds really annoying - do it three times on weapons and your opponent has a character who pretty much can't attack at all (and even just doing it once would gut a character's offensive output). I'd prefer if it was temporary in a way, like just discarding, but then that'd be extremely limited and luck-based.

But who says we can only have this sort of thing? How about...

Tricks of the Trade
    Assist
    Discard a card, then draw a card. Discard that card unless it's from the same item as the first card you discarded to Tricks of the Trade. Repeat until you have drawn a card from the same item.
    "Yes, you could do that with that sword... But do you know what else it's good for?" - Captain Cedric Cleavehorn

I imagine you could make fun characters with really uneven, top-heavy items and then use this in hopes of upgrading those bad tar and paper cards to the gold and green ones... Perhaps. You could make it a trait (at the start of each round) or make it party-wide. I don't know. It also probably should be free draw, but Elven Maneuvers isn't (for some reason).

I like Empathy. It's a really cool concept, clean and easy to understand. I wonder if a card named Empathy should make the character feel good if they're doing something good to another ally. I thought of something like healing one or two when a card you play causes an ally to heal, but I guess we already have Altruism for that sort of thing. Either way, well done.

Soporific Song sounds as fun as Wail.

In turn, reading this made me think of a few things.

Infernal Mark
    Drawback, Magic Unholy
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. You may not gain life. Duration 3.
    "We made a deal. Your soul is mine when you die. No cheating."

Demonic Corruption
    Drawback, Magic Unholy
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. Holy cards have no effect on you. Duration 3.
    "In his presence, plants withered, potions boiled, and our holy symbols grew tarnished and useless."

Infernal Corruption
    Drawback, Magic Unholy
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. Whenever a character within three squares plays a Holy card, you take one point of unpreventable Unholy damage. Duration 3.
    "When you make a deal with a demon, be careful where you put the receipt."

Of course all three of these are in a similar vein, even though I think we'd need unholy boosts and holy drawbacks, not these, but alas. This is what I had ideas for.

Though now that I think about it...

Crisis of Faith
    Drawback
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. Whenever an enemy plays a Holy card, discard your oldest Holy card. Duration 3.
    "But if the gods are on our side... why are they helping them?"

Moment of Doubt
    Drawback
    Trait. Discard all Holy cards in your hand.
    "I just don't know whom I should believe anymore."

Revoked Favor
    Drawback
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. Whenever you play a Holy card, cancel that card. Saving Roll 4+. Keep unless 6. Duration 3.
    "I called for their aid - and nothing happened! I figured they didn't hear me, so I tried again and still nothing! Why have they abandoned me?" - Journal of Obros Skullhome, Day one

Blind Faith
    Drawback
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. Whenever you target an ally with a Holy card, that ally discards their oldest armor or block card. Duration 3.
    "You won't need that! Any of that! The gods will protect you!" - Nianne of Burntree Vale

This latter one especially could use a saving roll, perhaps Keep Unless 6 or something. These are just raw concepts.

Editing in some more ideas.

Firebrand
    Boost, 3+
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. Whenever a Melee attack you play deals damage to a target, create and attach a copy of Burning (Burning 2, duration 1) to them. If they already have one attached, instead trigger all burning cards you control that are attached to them. Duration 3.
    "So about that fire-kabob..."

It's no secret that I like fire cards and would find it fun if a melee burning character build turned out to be viable.

Giga Laser
    Attack, Magic Laser, Damage 7, Range 6
    Minor Erratic Damage. Linear.
    "Not just a MEGA laser..."

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Maniafig, doublequartz and WexMajor like this.
  18. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Nice work as always Frostguard. You are hereby nominated to be on the standing committee for all future flavor texts. Very good. My favorite of the above are: infernal corruption and infernal mark. I say that because it's very easy to avoid putting holy cards in a priest build. The only way those drawbacks would indeed drawback would be if those traits were itemized on a weapon with great holy cards.

19. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Mass Pacify
    Assist, magic Holy, silver Quality
    Attach to all allies (including yourself) Armor 2 Keep. Duration 2.

Moment of Conscience
    Drawback. Tar quality+
    Trait. Attach to yourself. All your assists gain Mandatory Action. Duration 2.

Regret
    Drawback. Paper.
    Trait. Attach to yourself. All your attacks gain Heal 4. (Damage is applied before healing.)

Martyr
    Boost. Silver. (Stays in hand)
    When you die, all allies draw a card and heal 4.

Heresy
    Drawback. Tar.
    Trait. Attach to yourself. Whenever you play an unholy card or an attack card each ally discards their last card. Duration 2.

Cabal
    Amethyst. Assist.
    All priests draw a card. Discard that card unless it is an unholy card. Repeat until you have drawn 2 unholy cards or drawn 5 cards.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  20. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

My opinions: Mass Pacify could use a different name since the name sounds more like something that would hinder outgoing instead of incoming; Moment of Conscience would be a terrible card to exist because, if nothing else, Radiation, but maybe if it were a monster Attack instead...; the others are great as-is. $:^ J (As-are?)