Walpurgis Night at the Museum

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by Maniafig, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Story:
    It has been a perilous quest, but your hunt for the Mirror of Death is near its end. You have determined it is held in the depths of Cardhuntria's most well-guarded museum. Infiltrating the building and taking it for yourself should be a trifle matter for a royal Creature as the Night such as yourself.

Alas, you underestimated their defenses. As soon as you enter the museum an arcane Scrying Eye spots you and puts you in an impenetrable Celestial Stasis. You're trapped and there's nothing you can do! Unless... Yes, the exhibits and the Scrying Eye will make for fine minions, they can deal with the guards so you can undo the Celestial Stasis.

Screenshot:
    [​IMG]

Epilogue:

You undo the Celestial Stasis and quickly suck the fresh corpses dry. Orc blood has always had a peculiar aftertaste, you're not sure if it's truffles or mud and aren't too keen to find out. Now that they have been dealt with, surely nothing stands between you and the Mirror of Death...

EDIT: Altered the map so there's a direct path to the Security Camera to prevent figures being stranded when they fly over there.

EDIT2: Moved the Security Camera slightly so it's outside of the Orc's initial running range.

EDIT3: Shrunk the map, now the Phylacteries need less moves to join the action.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Sir Veza and Pawndawan like this.
  2. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

The map and writing are beautiful. I really like the shadow gradient you've applied to the Celestial Stasis.

I played this once and it took me 5 rounds to win it. I was pleasantly surprised how fun this was to play, since my usual knee-jerk reaction to Walpurgis Night is dislike. Turning Phylacteries into creature of the night minions is a clever idea!

One of my Phylacteries didn't draw any movement and was left stranded into the corner. Maybe the map could be a bit smaller and/or starting distances a little shorter, so even zombie form have a chance to get into the action?

Even in its current state, I'll happily play this again if it makes into the MM! :)

Maniafig likes this.
  3. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

I'm glad the Celestial Stasis effect came across well! Keeping Jovana out of the match required some trickery with the map design, so I'm glad the solution came across properly.

The idea of relying solely on Walpurgis to turn non-combatant mobs into threats was a fun idea I've wanted to implement ever since Jovana was released, initially I wanted to sneak in a Reinforced Door somewhere as well but the Phylacteries fit the museum theme better. :p

You're right that the map is too large for its own good, I tend to give the player a ton of room so they can escape enemy zone of controls and there's more choices to consider when positioning, but that design philosophy obviously doesn't work as well when your characters draw no movement. I'll shrink the hallways down so the player needs less movement cards to get into the action.

Pawndawan likes this.
  4. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

You could put her on a separate board... you can't teleport over board edges.

5. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

I hadn't realized that, I assumed it was still possible to teleport through boards. I like the Celestial Stasis though, but an Extradimensional Cage would've worked too.

6. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Kalin, you're usually my go-to when it comes to map building, so I question my questioning of you, but... I think you can teleport over board edges.

7. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

teleport.png

Sir Veza, Maniafig and Scarponi like this.
  8. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Huh! I wonder why Stexe gapped the Monster Hunt boards so far apart then. Welp, good to know.

9. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Stexe did that because Mind Middle and Maze of the Mind do trigger across the boards and he didn't want the two boards to affect each other like that.

Sir Veza and Scarponi like this.
  10. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Oh, of course! I knew there was some reason.

11. AngelinaOt

AngelinaOt Kobold

Я извиняюсь, но, по-моему, Вы не правы. Я уверен. Могу это доказать. Пишите мне в PM.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2019
  12. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

I am very grateful for the feedback. Unfortunately I don't think this map would be improved by downloading Fifa 15.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  13. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

AWESOME FUN! Needs a hard mode with like 10 orcs. Managed to take them out pretty easily, you do get a wide variety of good quality cards from the walpurgii.