Ancient Grudge

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Founder, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Founder

Founder Hydra

I've recently started messing about with an Ancient Grudge team. I've had a lot of luck with it, and it's currently on a 10-win streak since I started playing it yesterday.

The team was just thrown together and hasn't been omptimised - so I'm sure someone can take it and do something even better with it.

The trick is to keep the wizard out of play and shielded (and healed if necessary) by the priests. A decent amount of card draw and card cycling really helps burn through the wizard's deck to build power in the ancient grudges. With a reasonable amount of luck it's very possible to have enough ancient grudges and enough cards in discard to destroy an entire team by turn 2.

Gnorcelu
    Elf Wizard

Lezilnom
    Human Priest

Galdenclout
    Human Priest

2. Founder

Founder Hydra

Streak ended by vampire priests. I made a silly move which got the wizard killed, and it's game over from there.

3. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

I was just thinking about building an ancient grudge elf wizard, human priest full of inspiration, and human all out attack warrior.

4. SpringHeel

SpringHeel War Monkey

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  5. SpringHeel

SpringHeel War Monkey

6. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

Tried it. It can be a lot of fun, but with the priest lacking heals you need to be extremely careful most rounds. Which often means teams with tonnes of greater heals can just camp the VP and laugh as you frantically try to draw your lethal combo :D

I also tried a build called Combo All Stars, which was Inspiration priest and human AoA warr, plus Dwarf vampire with double darkforce nunchaku. The dwarf vamp had two or three Swarm of Bats. So the idea is that once human warr draws Advanced Battlefield Training and AoA, dwarf vamp who has talented healer active, uses a tonne of spears of darkness to burn through blocks, then, Aoa is transferred to the dwarf vamp who has blind rage, who finishes off with a double damage blind rage laser whip!!

Super satisfying to pull off, but the rest of the time the build just stalls.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  7. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

My playstyle prefers incremental moves, damage, and heals. I dont have the patience for waiting to draw the combo. Meanwhile, as you said, any of the three characters is a sitting duck.

8. Founder

Founder Hydra

This thread seems to have s bit more interest now. The team got up to 1650 on the last rotation. It’s worse on this rotation, for whatever reason and I’m stuck at 1500 - 1550 (ouch) People seem to have also cottoned on and started wearing cushioning armour, which is an easy counter to this build.

9. Oh wow I never thought of using Spell Skill as well as Pathfinding, that's extremely clever! I approve!

10. TheIvyX

TheIvyX Orc Soldier

The first match that I tried this build out lasted around 5-7 rounds (wasn't keeping track). I was against someone who had at least 2 Smoke Pins to counter my wizard, but not only that, I had probably the worst luck ever in that game:

- I didn't draw a single Accelerated Thought, Altruism, Leadership, Pathfinding, or Spell Skill card.

- I drew 1 (or 2) Ancient Grudges and 1 Demonic Power.

I couldn't combo with the smoke terrain in the way and even if it wasn't I wouldn't have had enough damage to kill any of their characters anyways. Oh well.

The second game was up against Inkfingers. I did manage to beat him after 8 rounds.

[​IMG]
    Moments after I used 3 Ancient Grudges to kill one of his warriors

[​IMG]

GG

I'm not familiar with this build so I was just doing some matches to try it out. My positioning probably could've been better in those games.

11. squirrat

squirrat Orc Soldier

Have you tried this in Death March? The build I've used is a different style than yours, but it's an Ancient Grudge build. In Death March I had reasonable success. I used two elf wizards and a human draw priest, they can hide in the back until they draw their Pathfinding, then power up the line for the instant kill(s). Usually I hold two grudges with max damage output and a couple move cards when one elf is ready to run in. If that elf doesn't succeed in making the opponent resign, then the second elf is standing by ready next turn or two. It is a fun build but I've never gotten 10 in a row with it, it's not that reliable..

Your build has Leadership, more grudges, and better card cycling than the one I used in Death March, so I think it might even be better. But the one I use in Death March also has Illusion Barriers, Flash Floods, and the priest is cleansing, so it's a bit different.