Aloyzo's Arsenal Official SUBMISSION Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

The question isn't how to program it, it's "How do you use existing CH code to ignore encumber?"

There is built in support for ignoring encumber if you're moving other chars causing other players to move their chars (Elvish Scamper) or moving at the beginning of the turn (Slippery). Other movement situations may be supported, but we can't be sure. Or you could take the easy way out and just discard the encumber attachments first (Pathfinding).

PS. The devs explicitly do not read this thread.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  2. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

I like it a lot. I got those nuances.
    I wouldn't call it overly complicated, but I do have thoughts on minorly improving the wording:

original:
    Target an ally (including yourself) and another character. The ally selects any number of cards; randomly remove the same number of cards from the second target's hand and place in the ally's hand. Place the selected cards in the second target's hand. Range 6.

mine:
    Target an ally (including yourself) and another character. The ally selects any number of cards. Remove the same number of random cards from the second target's hand and place in the ally's hand. Place the ally's selected cards in the second target's hand. Range 6.

I don't recall ever seeing a semicolon in CH's cards, despite my liking semicolons myself, heheheh.

If you want to ask Blue Manchu, then like Kalin said, maybe ask in another thread. If you're just asking in general here, then I'd say one way to do it could be something like this:
    1. Have a card set a status for Encumber to be ignored on such-and-such character(s) for the duration of this card's action.
    2. Have reacting cards always check to see if their effects should be ignored (such as Encumber cards checking such), which during the above card's action is indeed the case. (One way to do this is to check for an explicit flag. Another way is to poll for all current stati which may or may not affect their effects.)
    3. Finish the acting card's action and remove the ignoring (whether setting the flag back, or deleting the reactions queue/stack/array, or however it was programmed in the first place) since it's no longer needed.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  3. Urgash

Urgash Kobold

They put Encumber 1, Encumber 2, Encumber 3 in a same package then they use an instruction with "or".

4. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Thanks for the thoughts!

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  5. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

If my card gets printed, I still have the flavor text:
    "With the right magic, you can dodge a blow by being there... later."

6. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

@WexMajor You might want to reword your card effect so it uses the Immunity keyword, Giant Boulder is a good comparison for what text to use. The flavour of Time Slip is interesting, it sends the blocker to the next turn so they can't really play any cards or take damage, right? Have you considered a "You may not be targeted." effect like in Invisibility or would that limit counterplay too much?

WexMajor likes this.
  7. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Bad news: neither Taunt nor Invisibility have any parameters to modify; you get the whole effect or nothing.

I'm Here About The Job says nothing about allies or enemies, it's just Invisibility plus a partial Stun. "You can't be targeted" means by anyone, including yourself.

ParodyKnaveBob, Sir Veza and Maniafig like this.
  8. orian34

orian34 Orc Soldier

Urgh, I see. It's a bit risky then I guess, too bad, I wanted to submit a handicap card... I guess I can probably just use my secret plan, Hidden Ace! Heh.

Sir Veza likes this.
  9. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

Yes, I want a purge to be able to remove it; you are no more immune, but you are back in the normal stream of time too, so you are no longer halted, or stunned.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  10. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Not to be confused with:
    Brazen Slut
    Move
    Silver
    Rare
    Move 2. For each enemy adjacent to you at the end of this move you may discard an armor card. Then stun as many adjacent opponents as cards you discarded.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Sir Veza and SceoMyntan like this.
  11. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I'm considering this one, but don't know if caltrops can pass for auto-deploying beacons. Thoughts?
    1. Sir Veza
    2. Autobeacons
    [​IMG]
    4. Attack
    5. Gold+
    6. Rare
    7. All squares occupied by characters become Laser Beacon terrain (difficult terrain; at the start of each round, deal 4 Laser damage to each enemy within 1 square).
    Duration 2

12. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

It really doesn't look beacony enough for my tastes. The caltrops look like generic iron, they lack the technological look of Laser cards.

Gold+ also seems way too low of a value when you compare it to Dual Laser Beacon which requires LoS and only summons two beacons and Volcano which is actually harmful to the player. I would absolutely love to play this in PvE, though it would probably be Amethyst.

ParodyKnaveBob, Sir Veza and Kalin like this.
  13. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I agree with everything Maniafig said. I don't see the devs approving any Volcano-effect using player-aware terrain.

My idea for that image was "Line of Caltrops" (basically Wall of Stone Spikes for warriors). I'm also considering using the mushroom cloud for Volcano using Irradiated terrain.

What do people think wizards need in the meta? Area effect purge? Card draw? A magic bash? I'm trying to think of something to counter Vengeance, but that's hard to do in a balanced fashion.

seth arue, SceoMyntan and Sir Veza like this.
  14. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

My original thought was Emerald+, but it would probably still be OP. I thought it could work as a counter to Bless/Blesscano in PvP, but don't know if that's needed anymore. Another thought for volcano effect was to remove all attachments from occupied squares, but I cant shoehorn a picture to fit the concept.
    Guess I'll go with a card trick.

15. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

Mine was meant to achieve something like that... I tried not to make it overpowered by making it single use

A wizard version of entangling roots might be good. Something with Halt? You could tweak the range, make it a cone maybe?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  16. Founder

Founder Hydra

Halt doesn’t help very much, as it triggers after Vengeance moves. Wizards also already have access to lots of encumber effects at low cost.

17. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

How about a card that can discard Boost cards? There's currently no counterplay to them, and I assume it would be possible to implement with currently existing code.

Sir Veza and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  18. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

That's very easy to do (you could even make terrain that does it), but it'll be useless most of the time. The problem is the amount of Vengeance you can put in a deck.

It doesn't look like you can discard using Blight or Holy Presence features, and Pickpocket/Steal is always random.

19. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Sir Veza and Maniafig like this.
  20. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

I do question how useful it would be as a feature on a card, kinda like how Inq. Bolt reveals a hand alongside doing some ranged Silver damage.

Currently every card has some form of counterplay except for Boosts, which might be an intentional design choice, but Boosts have turned out to be a lot more powerful than they might have ever intended to be.

Finally, the counterplay to Uncanny Dodge we've all been craving for! :p

Sir Veza and ParodyKnaveBob like this.