Walpurgis - How to use this incredibly fun card properly?

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Proud Peasant, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Proud Peasant

Proud Peasant Kobold

Human Priest 1
    Level 6 Human Priest

Human Priest 2
    Level 1 Human Priest

Human Priest 3
    Level 1 Human Priest

The above deck is totally untested. Any ideas/suggestions how to improve it?

Walpurgis is the main focus of this deck.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  2. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I'd start by loading up on Arrogant Armor. As I've learned from playing with Jovana in custom maps, the worst thing for a Walpurgis Night deck is for the source of WN to get transformed.

3. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

I've tried and failed, not saying that I'm an expert, but here's my take.

The party has to be: 1 x walpurgis/purging priest plus 2 x wars with stolen torches/arrogant. Your triple walpurgis priest build is cute, but it's got a low chance to draw walpurgis in the first two rounds (43% on first priest, much less on the others), no arrogant, not a lot of purges to un-walpurgis you, and not a lot of damage. If the opponent gets wolves or vamps, it's gg for you - how will you kill them?

A walpurgis priest with say 7 x walpurgis is basically a dead character - sure, he'll have some useful cards, but not that many, and not focused at all. All he does is walpurgis the enemy: awesome if they get zombies or ghosties (50% chance) but dangerous otherwise.

In an ideal world, you draw arrogant on both your wars (not easy), WP the enemy into zombies and ghosts (50/50), then hook in with flaring torches. See how it's already getting too complicated? Half the time, you'll have a priest that WPs themselves and their team mates into the bad forms, and you'll be facing wolf/vamp wars who have already drawn a good couple of cards before they transform and draw swarms, invigs, monster hides etc.

4. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

I agree, that there is probably a really fun and successful build out there using Walpurgis, but I haven't really had time to get beyond throwing a few decks together and never trying them out in ranked. Biggest thing to optimize is how much Walpurgis is needed, and that will only really come with practice. Too much and you end up being a dead character while the mandatory action plays out, too little and you don't get to take advantage of what your build is focused towards.
    I landed on two priests and one warrior, mainly because there is no Arrogant Armor for a wiz. It is a shame to miss out on the bonus to Inquisition Bolt but there is no way around getting your priest stuck with form cards other than carrying a lot of purge that can overbalance your deck.
    If you pack Arrogant Armor on all characters, I could see Daylight work really well in a deck like this, for the double effect of healing your own and damaging your opponent. Also Spark Of Undeath could be good here, either to screw up your opponent further or give your own arrogant armored guy a pseudo Demonic Power without the drawback. Someone got me on Chess like that recently!
    This is my take, I may give this a go if I find the time (hahah 2 x kids under 3). I would probably tweak if I had more of the legendaries, but it may give you some ideas!
    Also props to @havet for Dusk And Dawn

Precious Thimble
    Level 1 Dwarf Warrior

Astrid
    Level 10 Dwarf Priest

Blend
    Level 19 Dwarf Priest

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  5. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

If a viable Walpurgis Night build is ever introduced to PvP it will be met with outrage and immediate demands for a nerf.
    Good luck! It should be fun to watch.

6. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

Hahaha! ain't that the truth!

7. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

My best Walpurgis build if I remember correctly could float around low 1600s, (and fwiw, it went against some of the opinions already expressed in this thread). The hardest part about a Walpurgis deck is that you can go feast or famine on the Walp draws. Too many is a waste, too few, and your whole strategy is nullified. The strongest part about it is that it nullifies your opponent strategy, while you've come prepared for Walp. (In short, matches tend to go really well, or really poorly for you, not many in between.)

8. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

Care to elaborate? always interested in alternate opinions etc... I understand if not tho!

9. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

@mckeen Are you asking that I introduce a viable Walpurgis Night build to the PvP community? :p

ParodyKnaveBob, mckeen and Sir Veza like this.
  10. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

Like i said, I understand if not ;)

11. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Since I don't play PvP, I will offer a guess:
    Arrogant Armor is good if it shows up in time, but you can stack a lot more Howls in your deck. If you have a couple in hand when the change comes, you might be able to change from zombie or spirit into a form that is actually useful. Still not great odds, though.

12. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

My "qualifications": I'm not the best player by any means, but it seems I'm not terrible at least. I've briefly hit 1700s thrice, and I've had some stints where I maintained 1600s pretty well. Hard to know where I am these days since I came back from a multi-month hiatus, and we've been in Plarena II maps followed by Acquisitions, Inc., maps, but 1500s seems to be my going rate with a decent enough deck right now. That said, I have some Walpurgis Night experience which turned out pretty viable for me. For almost different reasons from what @Scarponi and @Sir Veza mentioned (define "viable"? heh - but also, I mainly do as well as I do because I manage to keep at least some surprises during matches), I won't spell out everything, but I will give some ideas/insights just because I do think it's a fun card / concept and would like to see some more variety in ranked. (And leagues! Someone brought Walpurgis into Death March! It was a hoot! I beat 'im, but, y'know, it was fun! heheheh)

Last year, I started with two Arrogant priests and an elf wizard loaded up with Inquisition Bolts. I might try this again, but I'd say I had too much WN at the time. I also had to carry a boatload of purging to keep the Inq Bolts coming. However, enemy purges not only stops WN disruption, but also decreases Bolt damage by 5 y'know...

Last month, I mixed up some Arrogant priest and warrior action, and this was before I even owned Dusk And Dawn (which I did add to my build on the last day of the month when I played the Mauve Manticore and got it). This was the build that would break the 1600ers and 1700ers -- and lose to the 1300ers. $E^ D Like Scarp parenthetically said,
    Ironically, when the monsters come out to play, Spirit tends to feel much more dangerous than Werewolf: Werewolf (and Vampire) can pull 1 of 10 in-hand cards to remove your Armor; Spirit can pull 3, and by the time Night falls and your characters show they're Arrogant, your non-GM opponent knows to remove it ASAP.

A scary thing to remember when playing WN, especially with multiple WN char sources, is that it not only gives your opponent initiative advantage, but card advantage. For each unmitigated WN you play, you lose a card. In my first outings last year (too much WN), my chars sometimes went into a round with half the hand-sizes of my opponents' chars! $E^ b

Ahhhh, my extra warm, fuzzy feeling when Castle Mitternacht began spreading its PvP blight and World Chat filled daily with earnest "nerf elf wizards!" LOL!! $X^ D

Sir Veza likes this.