The Daily Deal

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Fry_The_Guy, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Gingrich Yurr

Gingrich Yurr Thaumaturge

Snarlcub Hide
    Many people consider this the best tokenless heavy armor in the game and I see people using it all the time, and it's easy to see why. It's the only tokenless source of Monstrous Hide. Guaranteed Armor 3 apart from Silver is pretty big. Just one armor point more than Reliable Mail may not seem like much but just look at the difference between Reliable Mail and Reliable Hide Armor. Silver does appear in the metagame but it's not a big problem. However, is it truly better than Perilous Ringmail? Or even Spiked Tlahuiztli? I've used Snarlcub Hide a lot and every time I draw a Toughened Hide Strips or Officer's Harness I wonder if I wouldn't rather have a Traveling Curse instead to cycle more quickly to my good cards. It feels bad every time I draw those cards. I've since switched to Perilous Ringmails. I'm glad this item came up in the Daily Deal because I've wanted to discuss it for a long time. What are your thoughts? Which is better and why? Or do each have their own uses? As for the verdict, I'll have a confirmed one if this item comes up again but for now I'll just say if you play warriors a lot or have a sizeable amount of money you might want to pick this up. Despite what I said earlier, I still bought a third because it is definitely a good item regardless.

Epics:
    Cohr's Black Scepter
    A mish-mash of random cards. Would rather have more focused items.

Oakenheart Shield
    A downgrade from Steel-Rimmed Buckler.

Trickster's Blade
    You can trick all you want but you'll still be doing pitiful damage.

Notable Rares:
    Buckler Of Protection
    Fine minor token Defender's Block shield.

Draining Console
    Decent vamp item. Healing Beacon isn't great though.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Sir Veza, Maniafig and mckeen like this.
  2. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

@Gingrich Yurr
    I would tend to agree with you on this. Snarlcub is one of those that looks good on paper, but doesn't quite live up to the billing. Monstrous Hide is obviously great, but I have recently taken against Officer's Harness in a big way: it is only armor 1, at 50%, and the free card is never made up for over the course of a normal match, and it actually hurts in many cases, as Punishing Bolt is still very popular. It is such a wasted draw when it comes up.... Toughened Hide Strips is ok though, and the healing on discard means it is never a dead card.

The problem is that alternatives all have their drawbacks too... The Ouch! on Spiked Tlahuiztli has the potential to be very bad, and Mail is terrible, so I would never use this. Like you, Perilous Ringmail is probably my favorite tokenless for most situations, the Travelling Curse can often end up hurting your opponent as much as you, the damage is blocked by armor, and I tend to bring a fair amount of healing in most of my builds. Thickened Mail is problematic for me, but at least if it fires, it really does something.

However, the armor slot is one of the places that I am most likely to spend a token, with Bronzebottom Cuirass, Cuirass Of Froth, Werewolf Hide, and Galvanized Zombie Plates all being high on my list

I would also add Buckler Of Protection as a notable rare. Defender's Block on a minor; three block anything cards, two of which come with a card draw (albeit with conditions). It is good on a support priest build where you major tokens are in high demand and may have gone to things like: Evensong, Stargod's Raiments, St. Ulrich's Bones, or Venerable Positioning. I would probably go for Yvette's Buckler these days for the extra move, but that is a legendary and I used this in ranked for a while before I got it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Sir Veza, Maniafig and Gingrich Yurr like this.
  3. CT5

CT5 Guild Leader

I think Snarlcub makes sense if you're using Leadership to get rid of Hide Strips and Officer's Harness, but even then you're hoping to have drawn both Leadership and at least one of those armors =/. It's also equally likely to draw into the Officer's Harness from Leadership.

Perilous Ringmail good. :p

Sir Veza and Gingrich Yurr like this.
  4. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

The trouble with leadership into officer's harness is (1) the complexity of the strategy - everyone has to draw officer's, then you have to draw leadership (2) you really need multiple characters with advanced flexibility to guarantee its draw, and especially to mitigate the multiple slowed cards in that technique (plus you're only at +3 cards from a leadership, with no guarantee to draw what you need at that moment) and (3) that humans have such great options at each level of the racial slot: subtle positioning at tokenless, alpha positioning at blue (but will you draw the one leadership in your deck during a game?) and venerable positioning at gold (and we all know how everyone feels about delegate).

There seems to be many more reliable ways to ensure card draw to get to your good cards.

Gingrich Yurr and mckeen like this.
  5. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

^ this.... I was going to try to express this, but @Happenstance did it far better and more eloquently than I could!

Happenstance likes this.
  6. Gingrich Yurr

Juniper's Boots
    This has a good concept. Flanking Move into a perfect position to Brutal Charge. The problem is, with just 1 Brutal Charge, you'll be hard pressed to pull off this combo. And even if you do pull it off, the most you get from it is 10 damage, and you've spent 2 cards to do it. If you really like this combo, it would be more fruitful to equip Boots Of Etzicatl with Evasion. Or just use Rocket Charge boots, those are so much easier to pull off. Would not purchase.

Epics:
    Raxcotl's Hammer
    Pretty low damage, and with just one block it's not good enough to justify as a tech option.

Rod Of Palver Pree
    Substitute for Asmod's Telekinetic Chain. Although the chain is obviously far better, the rod is no pushover.

St. Bethan's Charm
    Fine item if you want some heals to go along with your Mass Frenzy. Also a good way to trigger Altruism without needing to be in range or having line of sight.

Notable Rares:
    Automatic Shield
    Good for some campaign missions, like the Astral ones.

Focused Electromancy
    Good for all kinds of wizards, including Deadly, Deadly Staff wizards and control wizards.

Vampire's Blade
    Good tokenless vampire weapon, though vamps don't usually have problems budgeting tokens.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Maniafig and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  7. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

A notable aspect of St. Bethan's Charm is that all the cards have unlimited range, and none require line of sight.

8. Gingrich Yurr

Bloodchopper
    I mentioned this item in my Mazzaram's Mighty Mattock and Axe Of The Titans reviews, and here it is. The premier chopping weapon. What makes it the best chopping weapon is the high density of Obliterating Chops. 4 out of 5 cards are Obliterating Chops, with the last card being a cycling trait. Obliterating Chops are pretty much the only chops worth playing in mulitplayer as it is decent enough as a standalone attack on one target. Of course, if you're playing a chop build you better make sure you get the chop off on two targets. Bloodchopper is the best at what it does, but what it does isn't very nice. And by that I mean it isn't too useful. Characters likely wouldn't be staying next to you in multiples after realising you have chops, especially with the Ouch having the possibility of revealing your chops. You'll have to do some controlling to get people next to you, and you go to all that effort for what? Just to get a bit more damage. Spreading out damage across characters isn't even that good, it's better to focus on one character to kill them. I would only recommend this item if you are a chopping enthusiast.

Epics:
    Pol's Prayer Beads
    Strategies involving terrain typically do not need Frenzy.

Risky Trickery
    Pretty risky like its name suggests as Vulnerable is especially bad on low health elves but if you have a way to get rid of it or mitigate it you get two excellent move cards for tokenless.

Uplifting Faith
    Only source of Wings of Faith and Hover on a divine skill. Wings of Faith is great in leagues where Flying shines.

Notable Rares:
    Ancient Linestaff
    Pretty strong cards all round for a major minor staff, and a decent addition to an acid mage.

Perilous Ringmail
    One of the best tokenless armors. One great armor, one tolerable armor, and one cycling trait that eventually evens out its damage to you and your opponent.

Shielding Warp Boots
    Only way to get Force Field on boots, and only way to get Force Field for a minor token. I used to think these were the greatest boots ever as Force Field is a very powerful card, but eventually I realised movement cards on boots are pretty important. Still, these are some strong defensive boots when you've got mobility covered.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    Maniafig and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  9. Gingrich Yurr

Quellic's Boots
    These are the best armored boots for a minor token. In multiplayer, you'll rarely want armor over movement on boots because movement is just too important. In the event that you need it though, these are the ones to turn to. This item comes in more useful in the campaign where movement is unimportant and armor is, especially when Firestorming. Just a single Reliable Mail prevents 4 of the 6 total damage from a Firestorm. With 2 you'll be immune to Firestorms. However, in campaign, the Flanking Move is unimportant, and you may as well use Kerrick's Steel Boots instead for a much cheaper price. There's no doubt this is a good item, but I would not purchase unless you have a lot of money.

Epics:
    Atchocl's Spear
    Blackeye Hammer with a little bit more movement and way less damage. Not that good of a trade-off.

Sharp Flames
    Hot Flames is bad. Against most armors, Firestarter will allow you to deal the same amount of damage, and against unarmored foes Firestarter is miles better.

Spiked Platemail
    Horned Plates is the bad version of Frenzy Aura. Gauntlets Of The Giant is pretty much an upgrade over this item.

Rares:
    Club Of Devastation
    Best Devastating Blow item, if you can find a way around Vulnerable. Arrogant Armor, Gene Therapy and the like, perhaps?

Maniafig likes this.
  10. Gingrich Yurr

Painful Flashstaff
    A very high damage double minor staff. This is the only way to get Obliterating Spark with only minor tokens, and Punishing Bolts have the highest damage potential of any wizard attack, as well as countering builds that rely on drawing a lot of cards such as through Martyr Blessing. The problem is Flash of Agony constitutes half of the item. You'll likely be hitting more of your own characters than enemies, and the damage to self is particularly bad for a low health wizard, so most of the time it will sit in your hand and be nothing more than a dead card. If you can find a use for the Flash of Agonies though, or if you can cycle quickly through your deck with card draw or something like Leadership, it can be a fine item if you need a lot of damage while only spending minor tokens.

Epics:
    Angry Jack's Helmet
    Only way to get Blind Rage on a helmet. The other two cards are great too.

Giant's Battleaxe
    For two minor tokens, all you get are two big attacks and everything else is useless. The big attacks aren't even that great.

McKay's Energy Cube
    Radiation Bomb is inconsistent but can be a game changer. Unholy Energy is a fine draw card. Healing Blessing is what really kills this item.

Notable Rares:
    Focused Silversmith
    Good for silver focused elves.

Frenzied Lycanthropy
    If you think being a werewolf isn't deadly enough, you can get a Frenzy Aura along with it.

Sir Veza, Maniafig and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  11. compasses

compasses Kobold

12. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

@compasses, of those two, I would say Salazar's Sandals since Rhood's are a lot more fragile in terms of card advantage and retaining one's high speed.

Gingrich Yurr, Sir Veza and compasses like this.
  13. Gingrich Yurr

Wym's Fiery Pin
    Fire wizards don't want Firestorm. Firestorm wizards don't want another copy of Glob of Flame over a Firestorm from Azgul's Orb. As it is, this item is awkwardly stuck in the middle and nobody wants it.

Epics:
    Booming Ring
    Path of Knives isn't too great nowadays with Martyr Blessings and Vengeance in the meta.

Hylithia's Wand
    Decent double Cone of Cold item but most of the time you would want Lich's Locket instead.

Sturdy Armor
    The best of the minor token double Reliable Mail armors.

Notable Rares:
    Ancient Heirloom Shield
    It's a niche shield, but sometimes you just want those Lucky Charms, for situations such as your character starting far away from the action, on a support character, or maybe even to Leadership.

Shielding Token
    Best way to get Impenetrable Nimbus. A must for 1 hp quests.

Maniafig, Sir Veza and compasses like this.
  14. Gingrich Yurr

Leomunk's Kickin' Boots
    If you are looking to boost movement, Energizing Move cannot be beaten. On the first turn that you draw it, it potentially allows you move 6 additional steps on top of your racial move distance (+2 on your move and 4 for the card itself) That is basically a Sprint with the additional flexibility of being able to get +2 as long as you keep it. This is huge when looking to unexpectedly chase down wizards or fleeing enemies. It also allows your own wizards/priests to relocate completely out of range of a pursuer if the map allows. Needless to say this is far superior to Quickness Aura and Rushing Aura as it can’t be removed with armor and you have an additional move. For open maps, or a wizard heavy meta, this is a solid card to work into your build. It is also particularly useful in campaign versus fast opponents with ranged attacks, but also great for a quick close and kill on large maps. However, revealing itself is quite a big detriment. One of the things that makes movement good is that it is hidden so you can trick enemies into overextending themselves then rush in with your hidden move card. If you telegraph to everyone that you have a move in your hand, you won't be catching anyone off-guard. If you do want Energizing Move, this is one if the two better ones for a minor token, along with Pwindle's Boots.

Epics:
    Eric's Elemental Confusotron
    I am confused why anyone would use this item.

Hasek's Icy Ring
    Big Zap is one of the worst accompanying cards for these double Cone of Cold items.

Vampire's Teeth
    Vampire's Kiss is bad, that's all there is to it.

Notable Rares:
    Galvanized Zombie Helm
    Decent tokenless helmet. Mostly harmless cycling trait and a good controlling attack. The armor is pretty subpar though. I would only use this helmet if you want a cycling trait and the extra attack.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    compasses likes this.
  15. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I consider Energizing Move to be mostly a campaign thing. Particularly useful versus fast opponents with ranged attacks, but also great for a quick close and kill on large maps.

16. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

I respectfully dissent on Energizing Move ;-p
    I view it as a great card, in PvP and campaign. Leomunk's Kickin' Boots are probably the ones you want for a warrior if you choose this strategy and want to increase attack density. As stated above Pwindle's Boots are probably the better choice for wizard or possibly priest.
    If you are looking to boost movement, Energizing Move cannot be beaten. On the first turn that you draw it, it potentially allows you move 6 additional steps on top of your racial move distance (+2 on your move and 4 for the card itself) That is basically a Sprint with the additional flexibility of being able to get +2 as long as you keep it. This is huge when looking to unexpectedly chase down wizards or fleeing enemies. It also allows your own wizards/priests to relocate completely out of range of a pursuer if the map allows. Needless to say this is far superior to Quickness Aura and Rushing Aura as it can’t be removed with armor and you have an additional move.
    For open maps, or a wizard heavy meta, this is a solid card to work into your build.

17. Gingrich Yurr

Thanks to those who replied about Energizing Move, I've s̶t̶o̶l̶e̶n̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶̶̶w̶r̶o̶t̶e̶ edited my review accordingly. I've just never liked Energizing Move much so it's great to hear about it from different perspectives.

Garalem's Boots
    Flanking Move is great, be it for wizards to fire off a spell before an enemy can take cover, for stab or step warriors to attack someone before they run away, or simply on a support priest to get priority for the next round. Double Flanking Move for no tokens is excellent. There are a couple of boots that fit the bill though, with Mouse Boots being the most popular and safer choice, Lt. Buckwell's Boots for something janky, Red Jon's Boots which is the only truly bad one, and Garalem's Boots. If you have a specific reason for wanting Wild Run then they are of course the best choice but in general Mouse Boots are just as good or better. Is the Wild Run 2000 gold better than Cautious Sneak? Also consider that if you don't urgently need it, you have a chance to buy it during the Halloween celebrations in the form of Werewolf Boots.

Epics:
    Incense Of The Caged Demon
    Good item for card draw. Most people turn to Martyr Blessings for minor token card draw but Unholy Energy is more consistent, albeit more painful.

Toughness
    Don't be fooled by the name, you won't be finding any Toughness on this item. Shrug it Off is a Purge that can only target yourself and costs more. Not something I would like to play.

Vial Of Spite
    Viable Ancient Grudge item with two accompanying control cards.

Notable Rares:
    Club Of Devastation
    Best Devastating Blow item, if you can find a way around Vulnerable. Arrogant Armor, Gene Therapy and the like, perhaps?

Rust Creature Gland
    Competes with Armorbane Pendant for tokenless armor removal. Both have a mostly harmless cycling handicap and an armor removal that removes their oldest armor card. You have to decide if you want Acid Blast or Memory Loss.

Spellstripper Relic
    Best purging item.

18. Gingrich Yurr

Fulg's Cleansing Pot
    This a strong niche item for when you need cleansing effects. The draw on Cleansing Ray makes it very strong for a Bronze card in the right deck, like a Volcano deck for instance. However, in such decks, for the same token you can get St. Pascal's Torch which gets you an Inspiring Presence instead which is great to fetch the attacks on your wizards. Still, if you anticipate needing every last bit of cleansing for your deck, Fulg's is the best choice. If you simply want something to get through the Geomancer adventures easier there are plenty of epic substitutes for it. Would only purchase if you need maximum Cleansing Rays in a deck.

Epics:
    Perfect Rapidity
    You can get more focused skills for these cards.

Ring Of Appropriation
    Best minor token control item, along with Luke's Iron Hand. Highly recommend purchasing.

Tainted Vampirism
    Best minor token Vampiric Form item by virtue of being the only one with 2 Vampiric Forms. Vampiric Form is pretty hit and miss though, and people would rather have Talented Healer for vamps.

Notable Rares:
    Auric Charm
    One of the three best minor token Inspiring Presence items, together with Xlaka's Sacred Bundle and St. Pascal's Torch. It being a rare means you can try out whether you like Inspiring Presence before splurging on the legendaries as Inspiring Presence is not for everyone.

Bronzebottom Cuirass
    Two powerful buffing cards on one armor. For those that want offense at the expense of defense.

Lantern Helm
    Best minor token Sprint Team helm, courtesy of the cycling trait. Fire wizards are very rare nowadays, to the point that you should worry more about Fiery Stabs.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  19. Gingrich Yurr

Advanced Ethereality
    Ethereal Form is terrible. I dare say Ethereal Form is worse than Zombie Form, because Zombie Form is still dangerous as they can bust out an Infected Bite or Brains! on you, while Spirit Form pretty much offers no threat at all. Doom is useless, Boo! is nearly impossible to fire off and can easily backfire with a simple Purge, Beam Of Hate is pitiful, and Ancient Grudge is pretty useless when you're in Ethereal Form since your deck shrinks. The only truly great cards are Acid Jet and Unholy Curse. This item throws on a Hex of Dissolution with Ethereal Forms which makes no sense at all. If you're playing an acid wizard you don't want Ethereal Forms, you want Acid Leaks instead. And if you're playing an Ethereal Form wizard, you don't want Hex of Dissolution, you want to change your wizard instead. Would not purchase.

Epics:
    Banik's Bubbling Bauble
    There are more focused items for both control and Firestorm.

Dawn Lance
    Not that much better than Blazing Shortsword. Warding Dervish is more consistent for Warding Lances.

Emperor's Plate
    For a major token you have access to Bern's Untouchable Mail.

Notable Rares:
    None

Maniafig and compasses like this.
  20. Gingrich Yurr

Brightblood Glaive
    This is a pretty strange item. You might use it for support priests but you're paying a high cost for attacks like Polearm Slash and Sundering Strike. And yet, there's not enough attacks to support a priest that can spar in melees as Consuming Spears aren't great. When it comes to the spells, Inspiring Presence once again encourages a priest which hangs back which conflicts with all those high-quality attacks. Consecrate Ground is alright but you'll rarely get full value off of it as you'll likely be forced off the square or have to move off it yourself for other reasons. All in all, Brightblood Glaive just doesn't lend itself well to any particular role. One last thing I haven't touched on is a vampire priest and with a Sundering Strike and two Consuming Spears it may seem to fit. I guess it could work and although Inspiring Presence can be tough to use when in the thick of battle, you can still use it before you engage with your vampire. Still, St. Xarol's Mace does nearly the same thing for vamps and it is a lot cheaper in terms of tokens.

Epics:
    Ambush Captain's Casque
    The Lunging Bash synergises with Ready to Strike as it triggers when you bash someone against a wall but for a major token you probably want Impeccability instead.

Manifold Medic
    Healing Spirit is bad, Triple Heals is not something I actively seek out.

Torching Staff
    Not a bad tokenless staff, but it doesn't have the premium staff-exclusive cards that fire wizards want, Instant Burn and Ember Burst.

Notable Rares:
    Ritual Straps
    Great tokenless divine armor. Purging Burst is very useful, Lifesaving Block can be clutch and Toughened Hide Strips is acceptable.

Twirling Dervish
    Decent way to add Violent Spin to your warrior.

Sir Veza, ParodyKnaveBob and Maniafig like this.