Scarponi's Old Builds

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Scarponi, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

So I'm out of save slots in MP, so I thought I'd start clearing out some of my oldest builds, but why not share them before they go? Feel free to comment or discuss! Fair warning, any number of these were pre-balance changes.

Starting off with the first build of mine to crack 1600 when I was a new player and almost reached 1700. Last iteration saved: June 28, 2014:

St Denis of Paris
    Level 24 Human Priest

DPr 20.1
    Level 24 Dwarf Priest

St Drogo
    Level 24 Dwarf Warrior

2. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Last saved 26 Sep 2014 an even more vampey version. Do you think my support priest had enough Mass Frenzy!? I did not like being frenziless!

St Denis of Paris
    Level 24 Human Priest

DPr 20.1
    Level 24 Dwarf Priest

St Drogo
    Level 24 Dwarf Warrior

3. Sasoo8

Sasoo8 Guild Leader

This is a great idea! I had a period last year where i made about 10 builds a week, so I quickly crowded out my MP slots. Posting old builds would make a ton of sense and maybe help out new players

ParodyKnaveBob and Sir Veza like this.
  4. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Maybe some historic context wouldnt hurt, since time has changed the face of many cards. As far as I recall, mass frenzy used to be immensly powerful with +3 dmg per character.

5. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

Thanks for sharing Scarponi, i'd love to hear about some of the subtle ways and interactions you play in this build, if it suits.

6. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

also with your first build on your warrior, only BJSS uses gold tokens, i'm guessing he has two? (one instead of lochaber)

7. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Nope, it was actually 2 Lochaber's, but as @Robauke noted, historic context is key. Back then Nimble Strike was step 4 and damage 6! And vicious thrust was step 2, damage [?]. At that time, the king build was 2 warriors 1 wizard, all dwarf (when was the last time you saw that combo?), the warriors geared out with Vibrant Pain, and the wizard packed with Whirlwind/Whirlwind Enemies - which at the time moved characters to a random square anywhere on the board. Strategy: disrupt and isolate with WW/WWE, converge and kill with NS.

Interestingly enough, when NS got nerfed, nobody ran it for 2-3 months (maybe more), because they were so used to its immense overpoweredness that the reduced version felt weak. People would actually recommend to new players not to buy Vibrant Pain, because it was "worthless" now. It took @Flaxative coming up with a build that ran to the (near?) top of the standings focused around NS for people to realize it was still a really good card.

I would try to provide more historic context, but frankly I've forgotten too much of it. I didn't remember until Robauke mentioned it that MF was damage 3, but that also helped me remember, I think it was duration 3 as well.
    Team Walk was Team Run
    Hard To Pin Down worked like Surging Shield Block
    Vulnerable wasn't as vulnerable.
    And a slew of other changes that I don't remember.

A little history of the balance changes can be found at the follow blog pages, but even those don't iterate in detail all of them:
    http://www.cardhunter.com/2014/07/
    http://www.cardhunter.com/2014/08/
    http://www.cardhunter.com/2014/11/
    http://www.cardhunter.com/2014/12/

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  8. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

26 Oct 2014 - The strategy is pretty obvious, one warrior to tank, the others to save up for Quick Run and big damage. I don't remember playing it all that much, so it probably wasn't that good. But good enough to save!

Heraclius the Martyr
    Level 24 Elf Warrior

Xystus the Wise
    Level 24 Elf Warrior

EWr 20.3
    Level 24 Elf Warrior

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  9. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

27 Oct 2014 - This is the only build I ever retired simply because of how much opponents hated playing against it. It was right after I discovered the power of Instant Burn on a fire wizard (at the time IB was fairly new still iirc). The concept was simple, bait them in with the wiz, Nimbus, and then spam draw, then burn everyone in sight. Could also play inspiration on nimbus priest if I needed more nimbus. It actually didn't win that many games, but it did create a great overabundance of saltiness because of how frustrating it was to play against, so I just stopped playing it. But here it is for some nostalgia!

St Gertrude of Nivelles
    Level 24 Dwarf Wizard

St Denis of Paris
    Level 24 Human Priest

.Gary
    Level 24 Human Priest

10. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

You've always been a class act, Scarp. :cool:

ParodyKnaveBob and Scarponi like this.
  11. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

21 Nov 2014 - The plan was to take the VP, obscure LoS, and then bash away whoever stepped up to the plate. If I recall, it didn't work very well! :p Look at all that lack of movement!

St Fermin of Amiens
    Level 24 Human Warrior

HWz 20.1
    Level 24 Human Wizard

HWr 20.3
    Level 24 Human Warrior

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  12. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

29 Nov 2014 - I remember reading about peasant builds on the forums (probably from a @Flaxative post), and decided to make one of my own. This is what I created:

St Fermin of Amiens
    Level 24 Human Warrior

St Denis of Paris
    Level 24 Human Priest

Takayama Justo
    Level 24 Human Warrior

ParodyKnaveBob and Flaxative like this.
  13. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

1 Dec 2014 - A second peasant build based on control more than damage:

***DWz 4.1
    Level 4 Dwarf Wizard

*DWz 21.1
    Level 24 Dwarf Wizard

St Denis of Paris
    Level 24 Human Priest

14. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

1 Dec 2014 - And as long as I'm working on control, why don't I try to send people all the way across the board!? Another "great idea" that really didn't work out that well. Though quite a while after that Sarigo's Rod builds became popular. They were a bit of the same concept with a better design. They could be quite effective, though I remember going up against one with a dwarf warrior who drew both Mimetic Crown and Sparkling Cloth Armor, that did not go well for the opponent's Path Of Knives strategy! In the end something in this vein can be entirely viable, but never top shelf dominant.

St Gertrude of Nivelles
    Level 24 Dwarf Wizard

***DWz 4.1
    Level 4 Dwarf Wizard

*DWz 21.1
    Level 24 Dwarf Wizard

15. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

There are a few youtube videos covering the peasant tournaments, dating back to 2015 and posted by "TheCT5Holy". Just in case someone wants to see what this community and more importantly the cards used to be like before things went... different directions.

Sir Veza likes this.