Cardotron Woes

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by Ser Skizzworth IV, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Twice now in the past week I've had streaks ended by being completely blitzed by Cardotron. Does anybody have any tips for exploiting it's stupid AI brain? His cards are absolutely grotesque and besides each of his heroes having max health, I also feel like RNGesus walks beside him when it comes to dice rolls. I don't want to specially tailor each deck with the fear of running into him in mind.

gurel2 likes this.
  2. Gingrich Yurr

Gingrich Yurr Thaumaturge

Turn off the button, "Allow GM opponents", or something along those lines.

ParodyKnaveBob and Sir Veza like this.
  3. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Cardo tips:
    1. Kill wiz first
    2. Only approach war/priest with parries in hand.
    3. Never attack war from front.
    4. AI doesn't like to ever be down on occupied victory squares. You can use this to "hold" AI characters in place by strategically occupying VPs yourself. <- IMO this is the biggest AI exploit.

4. Goodwin

Goodwin Ogre

well, 3 could work if you run war cry

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  5. DARK MAGIC

DARK MAGIC War Monkey

Nimbus

6. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Parrying Buckler is your friend. His huge attacks don't do damage if blocked (unlike ours). So block with impunity. Another answer is to run cushioning armor. Notice that cardo has no silver attacks so monstrous hide is your friend here as well.
    Welcome to the community, btw.
    Think about posting a card idea, an item to the smithy, a scenario, a monster idea, a league idea etc.

7. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

When thinking about the AI it's probably worth keeping in mind that it was written for the campaign and then reused in ranked matches, rather than the other way around. This means it was designed to exhibit behaviours of various monsters, and not necessarily to win matches. This might help understand what it's doing and why.

EDIT: That said, once we started using it in ranked matches we realised we needed at least some level of overall strategic behaviour. Originally the AI never, ever passed unless it was out of options, which made it incredibly predictable and easy to exploit.

8. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Great to see a post from you, @Farbs ! It's been too long.

9. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

<3

I'm handling support for the next few days, and I'm spending about an hour a night smooshing the Card Hunter codebase into a new prototype. Still miles from anything to show or even any idea if it'll grow into a real project, but it's fun to dig around in there again. So yeah, I'm around :)