I could use some help getting back on track

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Doctor Jack, May 6, 2018.

1. Doctor Jack

Doctor Jack Mushroom Warrior

As the title said I didn't play this game properly since 2013/2014 and now that I have decided to come back I'm feeling a bit lost.
    I'm going to start from the very beginning so these are my questions:

1) Could you give me some advice about the best team composition to beat the SP campaign (treasure hunts included) without getting stuck midway? Anything from races/classes to item builds will be very useful.

2) Is there a walkthrough of all the released modules or at least a guide for the most difficult ones? I wasn't that good in tuning up my team setup between maps.

3) Is there a tier list of items or perhaps a quick review of them so I can see what to look for and what I can safely sell?

4) Are there important changes I should know of? Other than the Co-Op mode everything else seems the same to me but I could be wrong.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    ParodyKnaveBob and Sir Veza like this.
  2. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Welcome back to Card Hunter! :)

Generally, dwarf wizard, human priest and elf warrior is considered to be one of the easiest and most versatile teams for SP. You don't need that much movement/reach for wizard, so the only drawback for dwarves is cancelled for SP. Humans have the best support skills and you should have the easiest time chasing down ranged monsters with elves.

There isn't any comprehensive walkthrough for all modules, but you should browse Adventure Discussion and Strategy subforum.

Timeracer's Penniless Peasant Builds lists a cheap framework for all modules to base your team setup. Also, Help - Slub Gut's Sanctum thread lists some general tips for SP, even though you might not struggle with that particular module. PKB's Campaign is Not Grindy has some thoughts about items in SP.

New players: fastest way to good loot has some good common items you should look for.

Peon's 400th Review Razzmatazz doesn't cover any newer legendary items, but reading those older reviews help you to evaluate other items as well. Rate my Randimar's Rarities is another thread to ask about good epic and legendary items.

Not really. Some cards (and items) were changed some time ago, but that was mainly for PvP.

ParodyKnaveBob, Prennick, CT5 and 2 others like this.
  3. Doctor Jack

Thanks a lot, playing an elf scares me a little bit since I remember some heavy hitters but I'll try anyway :D

4. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

Elves have definitely fallen out of favour in MP since elven manoeuvres was nerfed and humans gained vanguard. Howl is universally loved because the werewolf form card pool is OP, it heals you, forces your opponent to move or pass, and there's enough moves in it to get dwarf wars quite mobile: out of 10 non-trait cards, there are two step attacks, prowl (effectively a scuttle + unholy frenzy) and the occasionally terrifying mighty charge.

In SP the relative weakness of elf wars doesn't matter, because you can spam nimbus on most of the later campaign levels, and having dash as a default move is very handy.

5. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

Also worth noting that there is not a single team composition (of items) that is best for SP. For the higher level adventures you need to have a dedicated team for each adventure - sometimes for each individual level in an adventure. Trying to come up with a perfect generic team for all the adventures is a path to failure. Use the save/load function to store your teams.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  6. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Good to see you back, @Doctor Jack ! The Mitternacht expansion brought some serious power creep, so keep an eye out for those items. @Happenstance already mentioned Howl. The tokenless Galvanized Zombie Boots and Galvanized Zombie Helm (both Rare) have Creature Of The Night, a handicap that usually isn't at lower levels. Subterranean Ferocity is a tokenless common with Dwarven Battle Cry - really helpful it you run a dwarf firestorm team. Outcast's Relic is a tokenless non-suicidal source of Unholy Wellspring.
    Now that I've started, I realize there's too much to cover without checking the whole list from AotA onward. :oops:
    There is a lot less on the forum now than back when the game was young and we were all noobs. Updated threads of peasant (and farming) builds for each adventure are probably overdue.
    Again, Welcome Back, and Good Hunting!

7. Doctor Jack

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!
    I read that discussion thoroughly but honestly I'd prefer a list of budget BiS rather than forcing myself into using just common items, since I still don't know what to look for I'm always afraid to lose really good equipment when the store refreshes.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  8. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

That completely depends on your style of play.

Best thing to do is not get too hung up about what's available in the stores. Save max useable of everything (3 x boots, 9 x weapons etc.), then come back and prune what you're certain you won't use at some point. But you won't know that until you've played for a few months - I've never used anything with surestrike on it, then got whacked with a pulverising hack / all out attack combo with surestrike, one shot kill.

Chances are that if you keep playing, you get drops of pretty much everything. I'm only buying legendary CM items now and many of those are just out of curiosity, like building a vamp team packing a lot of swarm of bats.

Keep an eye out for CM items, Veza is 100% correct on the power creep - it's not heavy, but it's there. Howling Pain is very good, as is Cedric's Vow, Snitrick's Last Stand, Talissa's Trident and even Final Sword - I think I went 22-2 with a team of dwarf wars packing a Final Sword each on the last Musical Chairs rotation. Inquisitor's strike is a brutal silver card, too, can easily do 17 damage to someone with nightling attached.

9. Sasoo8

Sasoo8 Guild Leader

Also, this doesn't get mentioned enough, but if you're having trouble deciding if the items in your shop is considered good, top-tiered, or something you shouldn't buy, then poll the world chat for some opinions!

There's usually a few helpful veterans who are willing to explain to you whether an item is good or not, without having to wait for the forums. Other questions, such as regarding multiplayer deck building or help on a specific adventure, are usually answered quickly as well.

10. Doctor Jack

They're too many to do that :D
    Unfortunately I tend to be one of those compulsive min-maxers who loves reading guides and walkthroughs for hours so I'm a little sad that after so many years this game didn't get that kind of love.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  11. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

I just played a few matches to learn how the meta has shifted and what is currently strong and stuff. Seems like a lot of it has stayed pretty much the same just shifted (no pun intended) into forms.

12. Sasoo8

Sasoo8 Guild Leader

Nothing wrong with that! I'm that kind of min-maxer for most of the games I play as well.

I suspect the reason that nobody made a comprehensive guide or walkthrough for Card Hunter is that there are so many ways to build decks and variations of those decks themes, and it often takes pages of explanation to express what can be learned through a couple days of playing and learning from your losses (part of the fun is figuring it out as you go!). Even in single player, each scenario (especially at the higher levels) has it's own unique set of good items to use depending on the types of enemies within those maps. And given the number of campaigns and their associated bonus quests are out there... it's going to be an exhaustive 50 page guide if somebody were ever to make a guide.

Multiplayer is even trickier to write guides on, as the maps change every month, and the "meta" builds shift in and out of favor between each month, and often even within a single month. I've found that the fastest way to improve is to befriend some of the veteran players in the game. Watch their games, ask about their builds, and maybe they will observe your games and offer some strategic and build advice.

13. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Mostly minor stuff. I don't remember exactly when these happened, but:
    - The level 6 Kobold adventures no longer give an improved chance of a treasure drop. (The increased treasure chance was moved to PvP.)
    - The monsters and maps for the Astral adventures changed drastically from the original versions. The wiki has the updated maps and deck lists.
    Card changes:
    - Firestorm is now range 5.
    - Flash of Pain (3 dmg) became Flash of Agony (4 dmg), then was changed to affect the caster as well.
    - Savage Curse was changed from +4 dmg to Frenzy 3.
    - Frenzy now also affects spells, but the damage boost is one less than the number.
    - Purge now discards all attachments rather than just enemy attachments.
    Sounds like a job for @Scarponi ! ;)

ParodyKnaveBob and Mr. Magnifico like this.
  14. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

Like Sasoo said, there are just too many deck variations that use too many items to even begin ranking items in isolation. There are weapons etc. that you see a lot of, but that doesn't make them 'the best'. Hardly anyone used pathfinding or elf wizards, then bang, Rinco combines pathfinding with ancient grudge to make an elf wiz that can one shot most opponents - if he's lucky.

Honestly your best bet is to ask in world chat as you encounter each particular item for sale, but have a look at the wiki first to see if there's anything better carrying those cards you want.

15. Although this is probably not what you were looking for, the best tip I can give is the already mentioned wiki. Everything else comes with time. At least for me this was the best way to go. The wiki has (almost) all enemy decks so you won't face surprises if you prepare your adventure right. From my experience I can say that the guides that you can find in the forums may give you a good hint for a working strategy, but:
    • everyone plays differently and sometimes it is better to follow your own intuition than stick to such a guide word-by-word,
    • copying a guide won't improve your skills by much (more or less like @Sasoo8 's comment about "learning from your losses"), and
    • almost every guide boils down to already possessing the necessary items and this is hardly the case if you were gone for years. And the shops don't care for what you need. ;)
    When it comes to MP this is surely not the best advice as you won't find your opponents decks in there, but you asked for campaign explicitly, so here you go.