What other Betas have you played?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Meryle, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

*gasp* So its your fault!

Reading between the lines!

Lance likes this.
  2. Umbra8

Umbra8 Kobold

Shhhhh! If they find out I'm beta poison they'll never let me in! THEN how am I going to serve my evil overlord?

Lance and Daryl Tay like this.
  3. Kaerius

Kaerius Orc Soldier

Neocron(2002)(open)
    Face of Mankind(2005)(open)
    Tabula Rasa(2007)(closed&open)
    Chronicles of the Spellborn(2009)(closed&open)
    Fallen Earth(2009)(closed&open)
    Wakfu(2010)(open)
    Loadout(2012)(closed)
    Hawken(2013)(open)
    Path of Exile(2013)(open)

There's more that I'm forgetting, I'm sure.

EDIT: Oh right, I was actually in the closed beta too for chronicles of the spellborn and for fallen earth, come to think of it.

4. Have been in the beta/am in the beta for.. Don't Starve, Towns, Minecraft(played Alpha), Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Smite, Path of Exile, Final Fantasy 14(will probably be in the ff14 realm reborn as well), DOTA2, Prison Architect, Planetside 2, HAWKEN, Rift.. and probably a few more.

5. A88mph

A88mph Mushroom Warrior

Yay, I forgot that DOTA 2 is a beta technecly. Feels so compleat. I'm in that one as well.

6. Right? I love this generation of gaming. Gamers are more involved(mainly with indie games), with the majority of them giving access to Beta so easily now a days.

7. Kaerius

Kaerius Orc Soldier

Yeah indies have definitely made a breakthrough and it's been a positive influence on the gaming market, I remember a few years where there were less than a handful of games I was interested in playing. I think I've bought more games in the last year than the rest of my gaming history combined(although a lot of these are steam sale and indie bundle purchases).

irongamer likes this.
  8. irongamer

irongamer Orc Soldier

It is often small studios that bring innovation. Larger studios tend to regurgitate models, mechanics, and well founded genres. Obviously there are studios that deviate from these norms. I remember playing Warcraft 1 (RTS) and Diablo 1 (ARPG), both titles which started or co-oped new genres, when Blizzard was relatively small.

Crowd sourcing, ease of access for consumer (downloads), free to inexpensive product delivery for producers (downloads), free to inexpensive game engines (Unity, Torque, Countless Open Source engine for various platforms), free to inexpensive software tools (Blender, Gimp, Inkscape, Texture Packer), and more individuals with a knowledge of programming have all contributed to a wave of refreshingly new and different ideas to the market. I'm loving it.

9. Deadless78

Deadless78 Mushroom Warrior

Dont Starve it has gotten a little wild after last 4 updates though

10. Yeah it has, with the Sanity update, and now the Winter update. Its certainly going in a new direction, but I'm pretty happy with it still. The survival aspect is still great.

11. Deadless78

Dont starve is still a beta pretty fun to play while waiting for card hunter beta key

12. ChadTheRad

ChadTheRad Mushroom Warrior

AqWorlds

Guild Wars

City Of Heros (dead sadly)

Those are the only ones i can remember Guild War's I was extremely proud about,and took me completely by surprise,i hardly thought i was qualified to even play a beta,but i was honest and told them what i found what i liked,what i didn't,i really enjoyed playing it

AqWorlds....;) loved it,caught wind of it from buddy of mine i had previously played DragonFable,and AdventureQuest,i applied and got in,i still play every now and then,and have a great deal of fun doing so "never paid a cent" for anything in that game ;D

City Of Hero's was also a favorite that i really enjoyed,sadly the site is dead and i can't play it anymore but i would be glad to find a game like it :c

13. Deadless78

Yes direction is okay but that winter is tough to get through. How many days you survived for 75 before winter up date now 27 max

14. Hessian

Hessian Orc Soldier

So... I must have been the only person in the Hellgate: London beta lol.

So much promise, that game.

15. irongamer

irongamer Orc Soldier

Got a spot late in this beta. I really enjoyed the combat of the game, it felt pretty good. The atmosphere and spatial settings made me question its longevity. Some friends and I picked it up near release and played quite a bit.

16. Whiteowl

Whiteowl Kobold

only game i beta'd was Rift. I always reported anything i found but as someone said earlier there were a lot more people with way to much time on their hands so i never 'found it first'

17. Dugrim

Dugrim Orc Soldier

Hearts of Iron the Card Game
    MechWarrior Online

18. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

I feel daunted by all of your digest. Especially, since I've applied unsuccessfully to many of the games listed. However, I have played in beta for ZOMG, and Minecraft. Both games occupied around 50 hours the first week and a subsequent 40, 30, and 20 hours the following weeks respectively, leveling out at around 10-15 hours thereafter.

As far as the second question is concerned, like many others have commented on, someone always beat me to the punch. With one glorious exception, any time I would go to report an issue or write about something I'd found, it had already been covered, in detail. Which made any comment on my behalf superfluous, much like beating a dead kobold; but that didn't keep me from doing it anyways!

19. ChadTheRad

ChadTheRad Mushroom Warrior

that's how i was an Oblivion",oh hey a dead goblin",*crouch* *engage fisticuffs* *smack smack smack smack* *watch as the goblins head flips and jerks in different directions* oh sweet memories

20. Deadless78

I bet that was a fun beta (Mech Warrior)