How do u beat lord Stafford's treasure

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by winner, Jan 9, 2018.

1. winner

winner Orc Soldier

Hello, Speaking of adventure and discussion talk

I have a question based on an adventure that was really difficult for me to do.

How do you beat lord Stafford's treasure?

Thanks for the help

Winner.

2. Jaer

Jaer Goblin Champion

Hello! :)
    Not sure if you've already beaten Lord Stafford's Treasure, but here are a few suggestions in case you still need them:

Part 1 - Stafford’s Main Hall
    Suggested gear: melee blocks, cards with Slide Back, armor removal, magic attacks.

Remember that the worst situation you can find yourself in is being pinned between the three enemies at once.

Copper Golem is a very dangerous enemy, especially for level 8-9 characters. He has a lot of melee attacks that deal 11 or even whopping 13 damage. However, the golem moves fairly slowly, so you have a bit of time to prepare yourself before the tough fight.

I would suggest retreating to either one of the two side hallways and focusing your damage on one of the two Men-at-Arms (remember, they almost certainly have a Parry in their hand, so be careful with your melee attacks). The other Man-at-Arms will most likely reach you before the golem arrives. After dealing with smaller threats, carefully engage Copper Golem: the construct has some decent armor cards, so it won't go down easily, but as long as you have enough room to move around and keep your characters alive through heals, blocks, or kiting, you should be fine.

Part 2 - Stafford’s Chapel
    Suggested gear: melee blocks, heals, magic attacks, Step attacks.

I've found that the strategy for this scenario mostly depends on how your enemies move at the start of the battle, so I would suggest waiting for your foes to take their turn first. Did one of Men-at-Arms charge one of your characters? Punish him for it with swords and magic. Did both Men-at-Arms stay in their room while the Mercenary moved forward? Take down the Mercenary instead.

If all three fighters advanced on you at the start of the round, see if you can reposition your party to only take damage from one flank. The Mercenary has some nasty stabs in his arsenal, but the two Men-at-Arms could be just as annoying for your Priests and Wizards, so it doesn't really matter which side you pick as long as you minimize the damage you take.

If you happen to have an fast-moving Warrior in your party, you could use them to defeat the enemy Priest first, but I would advise against it. Father Gregorius' heals are not that threatening, and being away from the rest of your group would leave your fragile characters open to more serious dangers. I believe it's better to leave the Priest for last simply by bursting the enemies down quicker that he can heal them.

Part 3 - Stafford’s Treasury
    Suggested gear: melee blocks and heals OR hard-hitting (melee) attacks and some movement.

Fun fact: Lord Stafford is the only enemy here that yields you victory points, so if you kill him — you've won!

Therefore, you can beat this map either through tactical combat or by charging Stafford and eliminating him quickly. Naturally, Stafford will try to run away and hide in his treasury, but there is no difficult terrain to stop your Warrior(s) from chasing him down and defeating him in a couple of lucky turns. Stafford has some blocks and Slide Back attacks, but can't do much of anything against a well-equipped Warrior supported by the other members of the party. However, it is unlikely that you'll be able to get into the tunnel with more than 1 or 2 characters as Stafford's guards will immediately try to cut you off, so this strategy is somewhat risky, even though it can grant you a very swift victory.

If you prefer going for the long, more tactical approach, remember that you are putting yourself on a victory point clock, and both Armored Dogs and the Mercenary are tough melee opponents. You don't have a lot of room to maneuver around them, so watch your step and pick your targets carefully. If you position your Warrior wisely, the tunnel can become a safe haven for your fragile characters as Stafford has no ranged attacks (and, frankly, barely any serious attacks whatsoever). He can, however, support his guards through Leadership and extra movement, which may not count for much, but can still throw a wrench in your plans.

Best of luck, and have fun! ;)

3. Goodwin

Goodwin Ogre

Worst case scenario, think about "how do I defeat this using a 1hp build". The answer to 90% of campaign for 1hp build is using elf wizards with firestorm and resistant hide. Fill them up with traits (even handicaps, but of course, don't use traveling curse, brain burn, even if you're not running 1hp cuz you wanna survive as long as possible), hot flame/firestarter, etc. Gusts can be used to move away the enemies before they get close, and you have to take care to not get even within 2 range of the guards due to their stabs. Don't be afraid to shelter up with smoke bomb because FS doesn't depend on line of sight. In the chapel I agree with the above post strategy, although in 1hp mode I tried to take the priest as priority because FS and burn cards deal poorly against the heals... (super duper painful)

Source: has defeated this level in 1hp mode

winner likes this.
  4. winner

winner Orc Soldier

anyone else

5. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

Mate if you're still struggling, hit me up next time you see me in the player list, I'll co-op you through it.

90% of the struggle is having the right items, I understand that if you've just started playing then you have a small range of mostly bad items so can't just brute force your way through the lower levels with vamps. Get better items by doing this.

winner likes this.
  6. winner

winner Orc Soldier

Sure happenstance but if i hook you up then the mods will ban me

7. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

Missed your invite today by like 30 seconds, hmu any time you see me in world

winner likes this.
  8. winner

winner Orc Soldier

ok i will let u know

9. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

What part of staffords are you having trouble with?

ParodyKnaveBob and winner like this.
  10. winner

winner Orc Soldier

all of it

11. winner

winner Orc Soldier

12. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Maniafig likes this.
  13. winner

winner Orc Soldier

yea but that doesnt help me a lot

14. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Avoid the golem first map and focus fire the other monsters.
    Second map, always attack from behind. Pin enemies between two of your guys so you don't waste attacks on blocks.
    Third map, equip teleport to move into staffords treasure area quickly and kill him.

ParodyKnaveBob and winner like this.
  15. winner

winner Orc Soldier

but what if you are using war or preist

16. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Nimble strike.

winner likes this.
  17. winner

winner Orc Soldier

but what if I dont wnat to use it

18. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

19. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

@winner - I'm not sure my method will be helpful to everyone because I use a lot of very rare items. You've been playing a while, so I suspect you may have all or most of them.
    Also, this build is designed more for speed than survivability, because that's kinda my thing. I rarely have to retry a level, though.
    But in answer to the thread title, this is how I beat Lord Stafford's Treasure. YMMV.

If you don't have the item listed, something similar will probably work.
    Doc
    Level 24 Dwarf Priest
    Sneezy
    Level 24 Dwarf Wizard
    Bashful
    Level 24 Dwarf Wizard
    The golem is the the main threat. The Men-At-Arms are more of an irritant, though they can also kill you.
    - Get a wizard on either side of your priest to enable her to advance or retreat.
    - Don't remove the golem's armor as your first action of the round, as it might draw another if it plays a trait.
    - If the golem draws 2 or 3 sets of armor on the first round and you have no armor removal, consider restarting the match. It can save time in the long run.
    Usually goes in 1 or 2 rounds.

Doc
    Level 24 Dwarf Priest
    Sneezy
    Level 24 Dwarf Wizard
    Bashful
    Level 24 Dwarf Wizard
    The mercenary is the main hazard, and the healbot priest is the major annoyance.
    - Melt Armor is particularly good for checking the merc for blocks, as it has the potential to remove one of each with a single card. It's best to pull his blocks, if possible, before trying to attach POK.
    - Don't squander your moves.
    Usually goes in 2 or 3 rounds

Doc
    Level 24 Dwarf Priest
    Sneezy
    Level 24 Dwarf Wizard
    Bashful
    Level 24 Dwarf Wizard
    Movement and control are important if you get off to a poor start.
    - If your targeted spells aren't range 6 or better, they'll probably be useless.
    - If you draw POK, attaching it to Stafford should be your first action.
    - Non-targeted attacks (Such as Firestorm) seem to have a lower chance of making Stafford immediately flee. Pop off the ones on your secondary mage (see next) if he doesn't run.
    - There is only one spot on the map where a wiz can get LOS on Stafford's second position in one move. Reserve this for your (primary) wiz with with the best range 6 attacks. (The dogs can't get to it in one move, but can block you from it on their second.)
    Usually goes in one round.
    If it doesn't, it can get long and ugly. (Refer back to movement and control.)

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  20. winner

winner Orc Soldier

but the thing is i dont run any double mages
    i like to run war mage and priest