Card Ideas

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by timeracers, Jan 2, 2015.

1. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Ahhh, Accelerate Time, how you beckon me.

2. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

Haste

Magic assist
    Range 5 - Duration 2
    Whenever you play a Move card, add 1 move point to that move. Does not affect Step Moves.

Great Haste

Magic assist
    Range 5 - Duration 2
    Whenever you play a Move card, add 2 move points to that move. Does not affect Step Moves.
    All your move cards have Free move.

Combat Reflexes

Boost
    Add 1 to all your block rolls.
    When an enemy enters a square adjacent to you, you turn to face that enemy.
    Keep.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Potato Priest and tolkien like this.
  3. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

The nasty counter to combat reflexes is ready to strike. Every time a ready to strike holder moves next to a combat reflexes holder the combat reflexes holder would 'move' in turning and thus take a ready to strike hit. (I presume you meant it to stay in hand.)

seth arue and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  4. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

Yes a boost, like Ready to strike

5. ParodyKnaveBob

In particular, I believe @tolkien was asking @WexMajor if the intention were to have the Keep keyword (and therefore the Ready to Striker getting to roll for damage repeatedly instead of just once).

WexMajor likes this.
  6. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

Weighted Dice

Boost
    Your next roll will be a 6
    Draw a card when you discard this card

Sometimes, Lady Luck needs a little help.

7. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

Strenght of the Fallen

Magic assist - Type Unholy
    Range 5 - Duration 4
    Attach to target. At the start of the round you take 1 Unpreventable unholy damage; everytime a character dies, you Heal 3 HP.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  8. Frostguard

Frostguard Thaumaturge

Engulf
    Attack, Magic Fire, Damage 1, Range 5
    Trigger all Burning cards attached to target and discard them afterwards. Cards triggered this way deal 2 additional damage.
    "Do not be fooled. Ultimately, to go up in flames and to go down in flames mean the same thing. Allow me to demonstrate." - Akon the Pyromonius
    Notes: Optionally, it could also have Hard to Block 1 for each burning card attached to target. It feels thematic to me, personally, even though it's generally associated with electricity.
    As before, I was thinking about (hopefully) interesting fire cards that provide more than simply increased damage. I thought this could offer an intriguing compromise: deal more damage with your burning cards now, but remove the attachments immediately, losing damage output on the long run. Alternatively could be called Immolate.

Eternal Flames
    Boost, 4+
    Whenever a Burning card you control is discarded from a character it is attached to, draw a card. Keep unless 4.
    "Some may call this insanity. I prefer the term 'enthusiasm'." - Barnum
    Note: Possibly a simpler variant of the version I posted before. Definitely not balanced in this form.

Arc Discharge
    Attack/Boost(?), Magic Electrical, Damage 6, Range 2
    When you target a character with an Electrical attack, play this card immediately. You may draw line of sight and range from the original target.
    Lightning may rarely strike at the same place twice, but try not to stand too close nevertheless.
    Notes: A whole lot. First of all, I imagine that while it says "play this card immediately", you could cancel it like a regular attack (if there are no available targets, or you simply don't want to play it). You wouldn't be able to target the character you targeted with the original card (unless that character is within range from the caster; you may draw line of sight and range from the original target, but you don't have to). I thought of this because I was wondering what cards I'd try to put on arcane items that support electrical wizards; with a range of a measly two, I believe this card could qualify.

Disintegrate
    Attack, Magic Acid, Damage 9, Range 6
    Target immediately discards their oldest Melee Attack card. If any damage from this Attack would be prevented by armor, that armor instead has no effect and is discarded.
    "Don't get too attached to your weapons. Or your armor. Or your structural integrity." - Acid Wizard recruit pamphlet
    Notes: I aimed for amethyst quality for this one, roughly. With this name, this card is supposed to be powerful. I thought of it removing armor like Boiling Armor, but that felt a little too good. In fact, it might be a little too good as it is. Numbers could be tweaked, as always.
    Acid is perhaps a bit questionable, but I thought it was the best fit.

Sulfurous Hide
    Armor/Boost, 2+
    Armor 2. Keep.
    When this armor prevents Fire damage, all characters within two squares take 2 Penetrating Poison damage. Keep.
    "If you bring the torch, learn to hold your breath."

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  9. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Sudden Speed
    Silver Quality
    Move 1. Increase move by 1 for each card in hand.
    "I repent me of my sudden haste..." -Deveraux

Hard Cover
    Bronze Quality
    Armor 1. Increase armor by 1 for each card in hand.
    "I'm just going to build a little barricade here while I wait for the goblins to make up their minds." - Snarri Goldsong

Premeditated Block
    Bronze Quality
    Block any. 5+. Add 1 to the die roll for each card in hand.
    "I figured you would try to attack me at some point." Halpin Halfstaff

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  10. yuno44907a

yuno44907a Mushroom Warrior

Card suggestions: armor that divides damage higher than 8. Trait that make you take damage next turn. Trait that deal damage to you or kill you 3 turns later and make you a horible beast that destroys everything and sometimes deal damage to teammates. Dragon form, you move slower, all damage you take halved, you have berserk 2, enemy rolls against you have +1 or enemy roll twice for blocking actually this is more like Minatour form. Water spells. Attacks that hit multiple times. Dealing random damage. Whenever you deal damage you heal by 2. Negative berserk. Transforming to turtle. Summoning animals.

11. ParodyKnaveBob

Some of those card ideas are pretty neat, yuno. $:^ J

Maybe instead of this thread, you could add it to the "Card Ideas" thread?
    (In fact, I'll hit the "Report" button to request the mods move your post and my reply. ~nodnod~)

Armor dividing instead of merely subtracting like usual or limiting like Cushioning Armor, hmmm. $:^ J
    Vampire cards and Talented Healer are similar to "whenever you deal damage, you Heal by 2," but are nevertheless different from your idea as-is. ~nodnod~

As for attacks that hit multiple times, check out Double Axe To The Face and Jim's Magic Missile! Likewise, almost all Laser cards deal random damage.

How do you mean "Berserk," by the way? Do you mean "Frenzy" in Card Hunter, or a new mechanic?

12. Frostguard

Frostguard Thaumaturge

Reckless
    Drawback, 5+
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. Whenever you play a Move card or move yourself, if you'd increase the distance between yourself and the closest enemy character, cancel that move. Saving Roll. Duration 2.
    "Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?"

Senseless Fury
    Boost/Drawback
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. Melee Frenzy 3. Subtract one from every block roll you make. Duration 2.
    "Yes, it's an option to win battles. Barbarians often rely on it. It works for them, as there are many of them. There aren't many of me, however, so I'd rather refrain." - Captain Cedric Cleavehorn

Toss
    Utility, Melee Crushing, Range 1
    Slide 2, Fly.
    "No one tosses a dwarf."

Grab
    Boost/Utility, Melee Crushing, Range 2, 3+
    Push 1. Target must move closer to you.
    If an adjacent ally would be moved by an enemy-controlled card, cancel that card.
    "Not the beard!"

Brace
    Assist, Melee Piercing
    Attach this card to yourself. Encumber 1. If an enemy character moves within two squares to you, deal 2 Penetrating Melee Piercing damage to them for each square moved. Duration 2.
    "Remember, recruits: the most important thing about approaching a spearman is the same as the most important thing about your provisions. They both should be free of charge." - Captain Cedric Cleavehorn

I had this odd idea a while back; I'm honestly not sure if it would be more at home posted in Ozyola's Oddments or here, it feels about halfway. Still, since it would introduce something that's not really properly in the game yet and because I think it could be turned into something maybe faintly interesting with some work, here it goes.

Muscle Wizard
    Boost
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. Melee Frenzy 3. Whenever a Magic attack you play deals damage to another character, if that character is within two squares of you, apply Frenzy and Melee Frenzy to it as if it was a Melee attack. Duration 3.
    "I cast... FIST!"

And some little things to go with it.

Flaming Fist
    Attack, Magic Fire, Damage 4, Range 1
    Burning 3, Duration 1.
    "The only thing more fiery than my temper is your hair." - Akon the Pyromonius

Chilling Touch
    Attack, Magic Cold, Damage 5, Range 1
    Encumber 2, Duration 2.
    "You thought the touch of death was cold. Think again." - Vek the Vile

Shocking Grasp
    Attack, Magic Electrical, Damage 5, Range 1
    Hard to Block 3.
    "FzzzzZZZZZAP!"

Emergency Bash
    Attack, Melee Crushing, Damage 6, Range 1
    Slide Back 1. If you have no Magic cards in your hand, this attack gains Hard to Block 3 and deals two additional damage.
    "Ah. You're not the first one to think that the staff is... ornamental." - Adze the Lonely

Last one for added weirdness (and let me add that with how the current classes work, it's not really workable):

Enchanted Blade
    Boost
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. When you play a Melee attack targeting an enemy, if you have a Magic attack in hand, the Melee attack gains Cantrip and the Magic attack gains Mandatory Action. Duration 2.
    "Why wield sword in one hand and spell in the other if you can wield both in one?"

13. ParodyKnaveBob

Whatchutalkinbout, Willis?
    Looks workable to me. $:^ b
    ~has already envisioned vicious, fun, did-I-mention-vicious combos~ $E^ b

14. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

@Jon needs to hire @Frostguard if not for his card ideas then certainly for his flavor texts.
    Sounds to me like someone needs to dust off their triple dwarf melee wizards again.
    I like grab, brace, and chilling touch.

PULSEFIRE and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  15. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

Ponder

Magic assist - Type holy
    Self only
    Draw 2 cards, then discard a card from your hand

Sometimes, the smartest thing to do, is to think.

Blackout

Drawback
    Attach to self - Duration 1
    Stun

I was about to... let me think....Nope, I forgot.

Recall

Magic assist - Type arcane
    Range 4
    Put a random card from the discard pile of a character in your hand.

Yes, i remember now. Or you remember; that's functionally the same.

16. Frostguard

Frostguard Thaumaturge

Infernal Panoply
    Armor, 2+
    Armor 3. Keep.
    When this card is discarded, adjacent characters take 2 Penetrating Fire damage.
    "Assuming that protection is its only function may very well be the last mistake you make..."

Augmented Arm
    Armor/Boost, 4+
    Armor 2. Keep Unless 4.
    Melee Frenzy 2. Keep. When this card is discarded, discard your oldest Melee Attack card.
    "They told me it was not fair. I told them I'd ask for their opinion if I cared."

Augmented Leg
    Armor/Boost, 4+
    Armor 2. Keep Unless 4.
    Whenever you play a Move card, add 2 move points to that move. Does not affect Step Moves. Keep. When this card is discarded, discard your oldest Move card.
    "It's working! But if you lose a leg, make sure to lose both. Unless you like going in circles."

Infernal Favor
    Boost
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. At the start of each round, draw a card. Discard that card unless it is an Unholy card. You take 1 unpreventable Unholy damage for each Holy card you discard this way. Repeat until you have drawn an Unholy card or have drawn four cards. Duration 2.
    "The contract is... how shall I put this... exclusive."

Divine Favor
    Boost
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. At the start of each round, draw a card. Discard that card unless it is a Holy card. You take 1 unpreventable Holy damage for each Unholy card you discard this way. Repeat until you have drawn a Holy card or have drawn four cards. Duration 2.
    "If you play on two sides, you shall suffer the scorn of both."

Possessed Blade
    Boost
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. Melee Frenzy 2. When you discard a Melee Attack card, the nearest character shuffles it into their deck. Resolve ties randomly. Duration 2.
    "You should be careful dropping that which wants to be found."

Eternal Rage
    Boost
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. Melee Frenzy 2. When this card is discarded from a hand or a character it is attached to, shuffle it into a random character's deck.
    "Gods come and go. Hatred is eternal." - Obros Skullhome

Furious Strike
    Attack, Melee Crushing, Damage 12, Range 1
    When you discard this card, attach it to yourself instead. When attached, Melee Frenzy 2, Duration 2.
    "Grugg quickly realized that breaking axes is only fun when he's not on the receiving end. Unfortunately for his enemies, he decided to share this discovery."

Willpower
    Boost
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. When you would discard one or more cards due to a card's effect, you choose which cards you discard. Duration 3.
    "There will be times when it is your only refuge." - Captain Cedric Cleavehorn
    Note: Revised version, possibly less broken now. You'd still need to discard the amount of cards specified on the effect, but you could choose which ones.

PULSEFIRE and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  17. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

My favorite of the above is infernal panoply. We really could do more with discard mechanics (from a players point of view.)

Two-Headed
    Monster only (for an ettin or demogorgon)
    Hybrid drawback-boost
    Trait. Attach to yourself. Your blocks gain "can block attacks from any direction."
    Your attacks gain Mandatory Action.

This is to help the AI which seems to sometimes horde killing blows instead of use them.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  18. ParodyKnaveBob

@Frostguard, your Augmented Leg made me think of an Elf Skill trait (which in turn reminded me of my Elven die-roll-Boost for Move cards from months ago)...

Forward Stance
    maybe Silver quality?
    Boost
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. Duration 2.
    Add 2 damage to any Step Attack you play.

And then PvP Radiation comes along, and...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Maniafig and SanPunkrazio like this.
  19. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

@ParodyKnaveBob pvp radiation comes along and what? I'm dying to know. :)
    No seriously, i don't understand.

20. ParodyKnaveBob

Heheh, sorry. $:^ P

When a player uses Radiation, one can randomly pull any valid attachment of the Boost or Handicap (or hybrid) variety. Long before Infected and Forms, players could use Radiation Attacks to give someone Festering Guts or Mad Dog. Likewise, players could always use Radiation Assists to give someone Troll Regeneration, Adapted To Sonic, etc. A player-accessible Radiation Attack or Assist could pull a hybrid, such as Blind Rage -- or your proposed Two-Headed. $;^ J

(The devs do think of us. They changed Negative Energy Being and Zombie Form from the strictly accurate Boost|Handicap hybrids to the Radiation-friendlier Boost-only and Handicap-only cards we see today.)

Therefore,
    Lol. $E^ D

Maniafig likes this.