Accelerate time + Radioactive terrain = 1 extra duration

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Haxzploid, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Haxzploid

Haxzploid Ogre

Happened in a game just now.

I attached fright and trip to 2 enemy warriors standing next to radioactive terrain using accelerate time.

One warrior moved away, turn ended and next turn he still had fright attached. (other warrior also had trip, but i guess in that case it was overwritten anyway)

So my conclusion is that when attaching handicaps using radioactive terrain and accelerate time, it adds +1 duration to the handicap. (or more to the point, it does not subtract 1 duration, at end of the turn it was attached, using accelerate time)

Quite nice for my build. But not working as intended i guess? :p

2. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

It is working as intended. The reason for the extra duration is that it would lose a duration at the start of round phase which it gets attached.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  3. Haxzploid

Haxzploid Ogre

Hmm that doesn't really make sense.

Technically there should be no difference between a trip coming from the players own hand, and a trip attached the very same turn it could have come from the players hand.

Example 1:

A human warrior stars his turn with trip in hand. Trip is activated and attaches to the human warrior. Trip has duration of 1. And will be removed at the start of next turn.

Example 2:

A human warrior does not start with trip in hand, however his opponent cast radioactive terrain near him, and accelerate time! The handicap trip attached to the player. This handicap (trip) should have a duration of 1 yes? And be removed at the beginning of next turn yes?

I don't see how there would be a difference in duration.. I mean, if you apply trip with a radioactive bomb.. the duration would be 1 as expected :confused:

4. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

If you did do it that way then when they got a trip from the terrain without using accelerate time then it would be removed before it could do anything.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  5. Haxzploid

Haxzploid Ogre

Well ok i see what you are talking about.

At first i thought it normally attached at the start of turn. But no, it's an end of turn effect. So i guess when applied from radiation it actually has a duration of 2, and drops to 1 at start of turn, normally.

However accelerate time messes everything up, since it applies at any given time :p attaching a duration 2 trip/fright whatever... :confused:

6. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Looks like you have the general idea of the issue. More specifically it's not an end of round effect, but that the triggering of terrain is a Start of Round Effect and the reduction of attachment durations occurs after this but before players draw new cards.

It could either be left as is and be a quirk of AT and Radiation terrain interaction. Or, if it was decided to solve the oddity, character attachments' duration would need to be reduced after triggering prior to terrain attachments triggering (which would then need their duration reduced separately after triggering). Or the other option would just be to have AT cause all attachment durations to reduce every time it's played.

ParodyKnaveBob and Haxzploid like this.
  7. Haxzploid

Haxzploid Ogre

Well there is another option.

Have radioactive terrain act just as radioactive bomb in an accelerate-time-phase.

8. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Everything is fine.

9. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

No, it is not fine. It is more than frustrating loosing to a trip or fright which stays two turns on one of your characters. It just feels so .... randomn.

10. 3beaner

3beaner Guild Leader

yeah I was just victimized by this and thought it was a bug - I still don't really get why AT adds an extra turn of duration to traits. anyway it seems broken and buggy and annoying

11. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

I used to victimize opponents with this (primarily before the Purge fix nerfed Radiation) and didn't consider it a bug.

As for how broken it is:
    1. Very often, 2 HP damage gets nullified by Armor (increased by CM, not to mention it bringing Howl) -- although random Vulnerable/Squishy attachments can help (at least when stacking your attacks).
    2. Very often, instead of Trip, Vulnerable, or the new Zombie Form, you're giving warriors/vampires Defensiveness, healers/controllers Fright, wizards/healers Large Weapon, etc. Yaaay, Duration 4 Combustible with no Fire anywhere in the party.
    3. Rad Spray overcomes Rad Goo's limitations (range, stacking, etc.) but at a price (easy to miss, easy to backfire).
    4. Where it's popular to stack control on wizards, the more wizard control in the party, the less AT to get your early triggers.
    5. Where it's popular to stack control on wizards, CM brought even more Pushes and reactive movement to thwart said wizards. (A random Trip can at least help against some of that.)
    6. Purging effects are popular (and mostly unhindered by Handicap attachments). Also, Cleansing (or terrain-replacing) effects are in no way uncommon.
    Broken? There's a reason There are many reasons you see so very little Rad Terrain in PvP, with or without AT and/or Inq Strike. Very unbroken. Much like Ancient Grudge + Pathfinding.* You've gotta really work for the combo to be anything like effective.

Bug? Irradiated Terrain adds Duration +1 to any Duration for reasons already stated in this thread. If a character normally received via Rad Goo/Spray a Trip attachment (at Duration 1), it would immediately vanish (due to Duration expiring) before the players even began playing the new round. Therefore, Duration +1. Therefore, AT triggering Rad Goo/Spray mid-round causes the Duration +1 to occur with more lasting effect rather than immediately losing 1 like normal. This is the same principal behind Doom+AT getting early kills (because Doom looks at its current Duration before deciding to trigger before expiration), but no one's complaining for BM to fix that "bug."* It's just how AT works. Yaaay, rare green-quality (majortoken) card with no itemized traits.

* Admittedly, on the other hand, some people have complained about AG+PF as some kind of unintended bug that needs "fixing" (rather than a difficult combo of which opponents should be wary), but we know the devs planted that seed on purpose.

Maniafig likes this.