Card Ideas

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by timeracers, Jan 2, 2015.

1. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

Reconstruction

Magic assist - Type unholy
    Range 4
    Heal 15
    Attach to target - Duration 1
    Stun, Halt
    You cannot target enemies.

Summoning dark powers for healing? It could be done, obviously, for a price.

PULSEFIRE and tolkien like this.
  2. Frostguard

Frostguard Thaumaturge

First things first, I'm not saying that adding the following cards would be good for the game, nor am I trying to claim that they're balanced. In fact, it's most likely the opposite. I just started thinking. Fire is great, as we all know (right?). I just thought that there aren't any single-target fire spells over silver quality (which is not meant as a complaint, only as an observation). I wondered what could be done (other than increasing the numbers, of course). And then imagination starts up. I'm not saying that pyromancers are in need of a buff or anything, I just had a few ideas and thought I'd post them here. As you might already know, I apparently seem to be quite fond of unnecessarily overcomplicated designs, so continue at your own risk!

(Also, I know I'm recycling a few names from some of my earlier posts, and I might unknowingly recycle names others gave to their cards, so sorry about that, too.)

Eternal Flame
    Attack, Magic Fire, Damage 3, Range 5
    Burning 3, Duration 3. If this card is removed from a character it is attached to for any other reason than its duration becoming zero, put it back into your hand.
    "You do not seem to understand. All the oceans on this world would not be enough to quench my flames." - Mar'naroth the Everburning

Alternatively, a trait version, because why not:

Eternal Flames
    Boost, 4+
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. Duration 3.
    If a Burning card you control is removed from a character it is attached to for any other reason than its duration becoming zero, put it back into your hand. Keep unless 4.

If we're already at traits:

Blaze of Glory
    Boost/Drawback
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. Burning 0, Duration 3.
    Whenever a Burning card you control deals damage, it deals 3 additional damage. Keep.
    "There are bold pyromancers, and there are old pyromancers. But there are no bold and old pyromancers." - Unsuccessful Fire Wizard recruitment pamphlet

Spontaneous Combustion
    Drawback, Damage 2
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. Burning 3, Duration 2.
    "Uh-oh." - Famous last words

Back to attacks.

Ignition
    Attack, Magic Fire, Damage 2, Range 4
    Burning 0, Duration 2. Increase the Burning damage dealt by this card by 1 for each card in affected character's hand.
    "I regret to inform you that you're pronouncing my name wrong." - Karath Soulsinger

Soul Burn
    Attack, Magic Fire, Damage 3, Range 5
    Burning 3, Duration 2. All damage dealt by this card is Penetrating. When affected character plays an Attack, subtract 2 damage from it.
    "You think Fireballs hurt? Think again." - Karath Soulsinger

Deflagration
    Attack, Magic Fire, Damage 3, Range 3
    Target discards their oldest Armor card (before that Armor can prevent damage). Burning 2, Duration 2.
    "There are no fireproof materials, just flames that aren't hot enough." - Akon the Pyromonius

Watch out, they're getting really clunky from here on!

Wildfire
    Attack, Magic Fire, Damage 1, Range 4
    Burning 0, Duration 2. If there's a character within two squares of the target who doesn't have a copy of this card attached, target that character as well. Repeat this process until there are no more targets available. Increase the Burning damage dealt by this card by 1 for each character with a copy of it attached.
    "Quicker than the feet alright." - Adze the Lonely
    Ponderings: This could utterly destroy some singleplayer modules. On the other hand, I had this idea of a boss who would have a bunch of periodically respawning minions and it could play Wildfire on the party and use its minions as fodder to conflagrate the players.

Incinerate
    Attack, Magic Fire, Damage 2, Range 4
    Burning 6, Duration 3. When this card deals Burning damage, subtract its current duration from it.
    "A candle today, an inferno tomorrow."

Barrage
    Attack, Magic Fire, Damage 0, Range 6
    Burning 2, Duration 2. Minor Erratic Damage. If the roll would result in a malfunction, instead attach a copy of this card to the target and put this card back into your hand.
    "If you don't feel the first, it's because the second one's already on its way."

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    Mr. Magnifico likes this.
  3. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

I love all the flavor texts. Of the above, my vote is for Ignition. I put it at amethyst quality.

4. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

Backwards

Trait
    Attach to self - Duration 2
    You draw cards from the discard pile, you discard cards on your deck.
    If your discard pile is empty and Backwards is attached, discard Backwards and draw a card.

5. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Puppet Master
    Magic Psychic
    Attach to target. When target plays next a move card, you control the destination of that move. Duration 1 or until triggered.
    Range 3

Dance for me puppets, dance!

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  6. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

So, a neural network has been hard at work creating new D&D spell names. It sounded like a challenge for card idea thread authors to flesh these out.
    Here's some of the best, pick one or more and start submitting card ideas for these names:
    • Crackling claus
    • Tidal treket
    • Wall of Storm
    • Grasping Mane
    • Tweel Strike
    • Trickstrak empester
    • Phantasmal assault
    • Bund Wind
    • Dance of Sack
    • Poxsare
    • Dumination
    • Storm of the gifling
    • Chorus of the dave
    • Song of the doom goom
    • Death’s Death’s Proud Bear
    • Shield of Farts
    • Ward of Snade the Pood Beast
    • Summon Storm Bear
    • Divine Boom
    • Song of blord
    • Spirit Boating
    • Treeking of Star
    • Primal Prayer Bear
    • War Cape
    • Gate Sail
    • Chilled arrow
    • Charm of the cods
    • Curse Clam
    • Cursing wink
    • Conjure Mare
    • Healing of Bat
    • Mordenkainen’s lucubrabibiboricic angion
    • Curse Word
    • Revitalizing Strike
    • Fall of the Wild
    • Dumination
    • Frames of Death
    • Wall of Distraction
    • Plant of Peace
    • Song of the darn
    • Spirit of the Spirit
    • Summon ass
    • Call to the daring
    • Grasping light
    • Clinging blade
    • Song of the unworthy
    • Stone of death
    • Death of the sun

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  7. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

Shield of farts is awesome!
    And conjure mare is oddly specific.
    Death of the sun, sounds like a high level vampire spell. Probably in Masquerade, something with this name exist.

8. Paper Crit

Paper Crit Orc Soldier

Charm of the Cods
    Melee Piercing
    Slide 1
    Range 2
    Damage 2
    Cantrip

"For reeling them in or sending them reeling." - Rhyme of the Ancient Marnier

ParodyKnaveBob and tolkien like this.
  9. Super4011

Super4011 Lizardman Priest

Song of Doom Goom
    Attack, Magic Poison, 2 range, Priest card. Affects all characters within 2 squares. Attach to characters: When you draw or discard a card, move 1 randomly and take 1 unpreventable poison damage. Duration 1.

Divine Boom

Attack/Assist, Magic Holy, 3 damage, 2 range, Priest Card. Target Immediately Heals 6. Affects the target and adjacent characters.

Crackling Claus

Magic Electric, Wizard card. Take 3 penetrating electric damage and draw a card. Repeat until you draw a non-electric card or you draw 3 cards.

Primal Prayer Bear

Boost, Magic Holy, Priest card. When you play a melee attack card, you heal 1 for each holy card in your hand and the attack has melee frenzy 1 for every unholy card in your hand. After this card triggers, roll a dice. This card has keep if the roll is 4+.

Plant of Peace
    Assist, Magic Holy, 1 range, Priest card. Target square becomes plant of peace terrain: When a character within 3 squares plays an attack card, cancel it (roll 3+), subtract 1 from the roll for each square between the terrain and the character. Duration 2.

10. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Placebo
    Projectile Psychic
    Heal 6. This card may only target characters who are below half health. Cannot self-target.
    Range 5

"You have to believe, Balthy. You have to believe." -Melchior

tolkien and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  11. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Guidance
    Projectile Sonic
    Target draws a card from your deck.
    Range 3

12. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

War Cape
    Heavy Armor only
    Hybrid block/boost
    Block 6+
    Melee Frenzy 1

Chilled Arrow

Projectile Piercing
    Encumber 3 Duration 1
    Damage 5 Range 7

Clinging Blade
    Slashing Attack Range 1 Damage 9 Bronze Rare
    If this attack is blocked you take 4 slashing damage

WexMajor likes this.
  13. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Curiosity
    At the start of each round, discard a card, then draw a card. Keep.
    "Seek and you shall find."

Patience
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. Duration 2.
    At the start of each round, discard a card. If this card expires this round, draw 3 cards.
    "Great things come to those who wait."

Stubbornness
    Your cards cannot be discarded by the effects of an enemy card.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    SanPunkrazio likes this.
  14. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

Marching Orders

Utility (human only)
    Create a racial move card in the hand of every ally.
    Cantrip

15. Frostguard

Frostguard Thaumaturge

Dispel Magic
    Utility, Magic Holy, Range 8
    Burst 1. Discard all cards attached to affected characters and squares.

Willpower
    Assist/Boost
    Draw a card.
    When a card's effect forces you to discard one or more cards, discard this card instead. Free Card.
    A strong will can ward off mental assaults or keep you going when others would falter.
    Note: Could get a die roll and Keep if over a certain number.

Alternate version (probably a bit more boring):

Willpower
    Boost
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. When a card's effect forces you to discard one or more cards, draw a card (after discarding). Duration 3.

Bloodlust
    Boost/Drawback
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. Melee Frenzy 3. If there are multiple available targets for an Attack, you must choose the one with the lowest health. Duration 2.
    "Ferocity can be an asset in combat as long as it does not take control." - Captain Cedric Cleavehorn
    Note: Keep in mind that available targets include allies. Could be a Magic Unholy attack/assist to take further advantage of that, but this could get overpowered against wizards. Maybe it'd only work for melee attacks?

Haste
    Assist, Magic ??, Range 3
    Attach to target character. When target plays a Move card, add one to the amount of squares moved. When target plays a Melee attack that deals 4 or fewer damage, that attack gains Cantrip. Duration 1.
    Note: As always, exact numbers are not set in stone. I also don't know what the appropriate type for this card would be. Holy and Unholy both sound fair.

Slow
    Attack, Magic ??, Range 6
    Attach to target character. Encumber 1. Cards target plays may not have Cantrip. Duration 2.
    Note: Could also get a Clumsy-like effect with a saving roll. I don't know.

Gale of War
    Attack, Magic Arcane, Damage 2, Range 6
    Slide 3. If this card is blocked, Slide 2.
    At that moment Elrann learned that when faced with howling winds, raising his shield is not the appropriate reaction.
    Note: Not that control wizards need a buff.

Rogue's Gambit
    Assist, Magic ??
    Attach to target character. Melee attacks played by target gain Minor Erratic Damage. If the roll would result in a malfunction, instead the attack gains Penetrating. Duration 2.
    If your opponent wears armor, there are two ways to go about it: strike harder or strike more precisely.
    Note: Alternatively Boost-trait.

I've written up a few random fire card ideas in a post above, but like I also mentioned, fire probably doesn't desperately need a buff as things are. Nor does cold, as far as I'm concerned; electricity would probably be the first candidate, but then Deadly, Deadly Staff is quite popular. My only motive for the following ideas is to add a few (hopefully) interesting ideas to said elements, as they seem rather one-sided in what they do.

Hypothermia
    Attack, Magic Cold, Damage 3, Range 5
    Encumber 1. Melee cards played by target deal one fewer damage for each card with Encumber attached to target. Duration 2.
    "Have you tried to swing a sword when you couldn't feel your arm?"

Winter's Touch
    Boost
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. At the start of each turn, each character takes one Penetrating cold damage for each card you control with Encumber attached to them. Duration 3.
    "Cold the touch of winter's breath..."
    Optionally, could be merged with Hypothermia to gain its effect.

Freezing Wind
    Attack, Magic Cold, Damage 3, Range 6
    Slide 2, Encumber 1. Duration 2.
    "Go away and never come back!" - Oberlin Ninetower

Wintersurge
    Attack, Magic Cold
    All characters take cold damage equal to the total of the Encumber values of the cards attached to them.
    "If you think you're cold, do I have bad news for you." - Carlan Wintersleep

Chain Lightning
    Attack, Magic Electrical, Damage 7, Range 6
    Hard to Block 2. When you target a character with this card, you may choose up to two additional targets ignoring line of sight and range (each target must have at least one other target within two squares). Each additional target takes three fewer damage. You may not target the same character multiple times.
    Much to the chagrin of enterprising or insane wizards, its power does, in fact, run out.

Arc Lightning
    Attack, Magic Electrical, Damage 6, Range 8
    Hard to Block 2. When you play this card, roll a die. If the roll is two or above, you may choose an additional target. If the roll is four or above, you may choose two additional targets.
    It can strike anywhere, anytime.

Ball Lightning
    Attack, Magic Electrical, Damage 4, Range 4
    Hard to Block 2. Minor Erratic Damage. If the roll would result in a malfunction, instead this card also targets a random character within two squares.
    No one knows just what it is. Naturally, that didn't stop wizards from attempting to harness it.

Thunderstorm
    Attack, Magic Electrical, Damage 2, Range 6
    Burst 2. Hard to Block 1. Affected squares become Storm terrain (at the start of each round, occupant takes two points of Electrical damage; no line of sight through Storm terrain). Duration 2.
    If you don't like getting soaked, wait 'til you see what follows!

There's also another random, complicated and possibly gamebreaking idea I had. I think there were suggestions here before about cards that would upgrade to a better version of themselves if not used or discarded for a round. I honestly forgot who came up with it, but I liked the idea, so I thought... Why not take it a step further?

Weaponsmith
    Boost
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. At the start of each round, reveal and discard a random eligible Melee Attack card from your hand, and create and put the improved version of that attack into your hand. Duration 3.
    Smacking someone on the head is not the only thing a hammer's good for.

Armorsmith
    Boost
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. At the start of each round, reveal and discard a random eligible Armor card from your hand, and create and put the improved version of that armor into your hand. Duration 3.
    There are two kinds of warriors. Those who never learn how to mend broken armor, and those who survive.

I tried to assemble the list so that upgrades are always clear upgrades; no changing damage types, no changing from step to non-step or from penetrating to non-penetrating. I thought that Perforating Strike could be upgraded to Sundering Strike as its unique mechanism allows it to overcome almost all difficulties that could arise from a damage type change (Adaptable aside).
    On another note, Armorsmith would probably need to be valued quite a bit higher as armor cards are generally meant to be kept in hand, as opposed to weapon cards, where the price to pay for the upgrade would be not using them up.

ParodyKnaveBob, Sir Veza and Maniafig like this.
  16. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

I have a couple of suggestions.
    Wintersurge needs penetrating (also a good name could be Frostbite)
    Arc lightning is very powerful. A small change of wording could make it great IMO: change "may" with "must"

17. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Let's just completely break Savage Curse, eh?... this would be better if it only applies to enemy effects.

18. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Willpower + Savage Curse is hardly completely broken, it's no more broken than something like Altruism + Inspiration.

19. Frostguard

Frostguard Thaumaturge

Thanks for the responses!

Frostbite definitely sounds much better, thanks. I've been having a bit of a difficulty with names, I suppose. I don't think it necessarily needs Penetrating, though; keep in mind that it's based on the total encumber value, which can reach up to seven points on a character (though that would be rare, admittedly).
    Arc Lightning might be problematic if there are not enough available targets in line of sight, though I do see how it could be a bit too good in this form.

Admittedly I didn't think of Savage Curse specifically when coming up with the idea, but I don't think it's particularly broken.
    - It's a trait, so you don't get to control when you attach it to yourself. If you don't have a Savage Curse in the exact round you get it, you'll suffer the discards fully in at least one round unless you purge. If you want to ensure you'll have enough Savage Curses to utilize the effect entirely, you'll need to bring quite a few of them - which will be nothing more than dead cards until you do draw Willpower.
    - You're still discarding your oldest card. Those effects are always much more detrimental, as people tend to save up their best cards, while using or discarding the rest. Which means that even if you get Savage Curse and Willpower at the same time, you'll start discarding your most useful cards (unless you play them first, which might result in getting them blocked). Sure, you draw new ones, but there's no guarantee they'll be anywhere as good as the ones you lost.
    That said, I see the reason for concern in specific decks like ones that like to stack Officer's Harness. I appreciate the input.

But if I'm already here...

Allure
    Utility, Magic Psychic, Range 5
    Push 2. Target must be pushed closer to this card's controller.
    "Come with me to the other side..."
    Note: Working differently from other pushes and slides, this could create a racial move in target's hand, make it Mandatory Action and add the restriction that target must move closer (or even as close as possible?). Could be more thematic and it'd get around Immovable (which I think makes sense), but of course it's more complicated.

Charm
    Attack, Magic Psychic, Range 4
    Attach to target. Target may not play Attack cards in a way that would damage this card's controller. Duration 1.
    "A gaze that turns people to stone? Amateurs..."
    Note: Optionally: When this card's controller attacks target, that attack counts as if played from behind. Discard this attachment.

Obviously, I've been thinking about things to make Vampiric Form stand out, or at least do something that Talented Healer vampires can't do better.

Delirium
    Attack, Magic Psychic, Range 6
    Target plays a random card, targeting a random character or square within range and line of sight.
    "They must know it was the rats."

Voodoo Curse
    Attack, Magic Unholy, Range 1
    Attach to target. That character may be targeted by this card's controller regardless of range or line of sight. Duration 2.
    "You know something's wrong when of all things you're seeing, a doll is the most frightening."
    Note: Probably monster-only. Could get an additional clause of taking more damage from cards played by this card's controller, but that's likely unnecessary.

Rally
    Assist, Magic Holy, Range 3
    Affects all allies in range. Heal 6. Subtract one point from the damage healed for each square they are distant from you.
    "Hold the line! Do not falter, and they shall break upon us as the waves break upon the rocks!"

Demonic Fury
    Assist, Magic Unholy
    Attach to all allies. When a character with this card attached ends a Move adjacent to an enemy, they deal one Melee Slashing damage to that enemy for each square moved. Duration 1.
    "Press the charge! Show no mercy, and they shall break upon our blades!"

Deathly Gaze
    Utility, Magic Unholy
    Attach this card to yourself. When any other character within your line of sight takes damage, they take three more damage. Duration 1.
    "I'll never forget those eyes... Those eyes from hell, staring into my soul, tearing my very essence apart..."

Consuming Hunger
    Boost/Drawback
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. When you kill another character, create a Gorge card in your hand. At the start of each round, you take three points of unpreventable Unholy damage.
    "Double the size, twice the appetite." - Volkov
    Note: Could also grant some Melee Frenzy. Also could create Gorge whenever an adjacent character dies. I'm not sure at all about this, really.

Gorge
    Assist/Drawback
    Heal 4. If you leave your current square, discard this card.
    "Just keep running and try not to think about what happens when they catch up."

Infernal Flurry
    Attack/Assist, Magic Unholy, Range 5
    Attach to target. When playing a Melee Attack, target may deal five points of Melee Slashing damage to adjacent character. Duration 2.
    "The glint of those eyes reveals more than mere madness..."

Litany of Hate
    Boost
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. When a card with Frenzy is attached to you, attach a copy of that card to each ally within two squares. Duration 2.
    "Who said only logic can be convincing?"

Lifelink

Assist, Magic Holy(?), Range 8
    Target any number of allies. Attach to targets. When a character with this card attached takes damage, divide that damage evenly across that character and all its allies with this card attached, rounded up. Duration 1.
    "Why take one for the team when the team can take one for you?"

Blood Bond
    Assist, Magic Unholy, Range 1
    Attach to target. When another character deals damage to target, they take the same amount of damage. Duration 1.
    "On a second thought, I think I'm liking this empathy thing." - Obros Skullhome

Offering
    Attack, Magic Unholy, Range 1
    Attach to target. When this card's controller takes damage, target takes that damage instead. Duration 1.
    "Not so eager now, are you?" - Obros Skullhome

I'm aware that a lot of these, especially around the end, are very far-fetched.

ParodyKnaveBob and Maniafig like this.
  20. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Any combo that can give a player nearly infinite attacks is rather busted....note that Willpower draws after discard. So, let me draw it out:
    Willpower attached, friendly priest now applies Savage Curse to character with Willpower.
    Will now plays this last card in hand, which is an attack, on Poor Sap.
    Curse says he discards a card!
    Will has no card to discard.
    Willpower now triggers.
    Will draws a card.
    If Will drew an Attack, repeat until target is dead or you don't draw an Attack.
    ....... seems very broken to me!