Card Text Bug Thread

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Jon, Jan 22, 2013.

1. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

MM 18 taught me something fun today. $:^ J
    Leathery Hide grants Immunity to Traveling Curse despite TC not being an attack card. I'm guessing this would be the case with any card that indirectly damages, hm? Perhaps LH's "attacks that do" could change to "damage that does" (or something similar).

Regards,

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yes, it should say "effects" instead of "attacks" (which, in the lowercase, doesn't even actually refer to red cards—a kind of useless term in our game haha). This is something I was planning on fixing in the upcoming expansion, since the mechanic might appear elsewhere...

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  3. Master Goo

Master Goo Ogre

Also same way Spark Inductor and Spark Generator substrack nubmer from blocks not only on arcane attacks but on all arcane cards, such as TK (if i remember correct).

ParodyKnaveBob and Flaxative like this.
  4. ParodyKnaveBob

Oh ho ho, with your MIGHT appear elsewhere DOT DOT DOT in July. Lol.

--

tl;dr - Bless and Consecrate Ground need Heal to be a keyword

Talented Healer states it'll Boost "Whenever you play a Heal card" -- meaning, as we've seen, directly playing any card with the Heal keyword. Holy Assists, Unholy Attacks, even Healing Dash? Cantrip, +2 HP. Even Healing Beacon triggers it.

Dean Winchester0.0 and I were near the end of an intense battle, and the cards came to my hand that I very specifically placed into my deck for this reason. Talented was attached, and I wanted to Bless to gain 2 desperate HP, then act again. Nope. Blessed. Dean's turn. He and a spectator and I discussed this inconsistent interaction. Fwiw, Dean likely would've beaten me anyway, but I prefer to fail *properly.* $¦^ J

The inconsistency, though, is killing me here. Thank you, folks.

~

All right, after RiasG suggested testing, BlueOtter helped me to confirm stuff. Here are the quick results, much to many players' surprise, I'm sure:
    • Bless does not trigger Talented Healer; its Heal word is not a fully fledged keyword.
    • Consecrate Ground doesn't, either; no Heal keyword despite it Healing.
    • Despite World Chat stating Soothing Darkness does not, its real Heal keyword checks out: it triggers Talented.
    • Healing Blessing has a real Heal keyword which triggers it, too.
    [SRC] Ominifis Dran touches [SRC] Anne Athema and heals up!
    Talented Healer triggered heal for [SRC] Ominifis Dran.
    [SRC] Ominifis Dran recovered 0 HP.
    [SRC] Anne Athema took 7 Unholy damage.
    [SRC] Ominifis Dran soothes [SRC] Anne Athema
    Talented Healer triggered heal for [SRC] Ominifis Dran.
    [SRC] Ominifis Dran consecrates the ground
    BlueOtter passed.
    ParodyKnaveBob passed.

[SRC] Evelyn Tinss bestows a healing blessing upon [SRC] Anne Athema
    Talented Healer triggered heal for [SRC] Evelyn Tinss.
    [SRC] Evelyn Tinss recovered 2 HP.
    [SRC] Evelyn Tinss consecrates the ground
    Galklinka bestows blessings

Although we didn't specifically test Healing Beacon, I know from past experience its Heal keyword triggers Talented.

I'm aware of the unfortunate, highly abusive side effect of fixing this. $:^ [ I'm also saddened that anytime I find some awesome combo to try outside the normal meta abuses, it either doesn't work (e.g. due to card text issues), or it gets nerfed into the ground (usually b/c of the aforementioned normal meta abuses), but them's the breaks, kid. (But hey, maybe by nature of fixing this, Volcano will gain Range 5 eventually, too?)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  5. ParodyKnaveBob

In other news, I'm surprised I haven't seen this posted in this thread yet since Blessed terrain is so often used in MP:

6. Sakhr

Sakhr Kobold

I actually thought Healing Beacon triggering Talented Healer was the bug, not the others not triggering Talented Healer. The way I see it, Healing Beacon the card itself does not heal: only Healing Beacon the attachment does (and therefore should not trigger Talented Healer based on the very specific wording of Talented Healer only triggering when a card that heals is played). The others should follow suit. But I'd be O.K. with it being made consistent either way.

7. ParodyKnaveBob

The very specific wording of Talented Healer is simply "Whenever you play a Heal card" which sounds to me like anything with a Heal keyword which actually gets played. For example, hitting your own Holy Armor would fit the "Heal card" criterion except that it doesn't fit the "play" criterion. Any other Heal card which you play fits.

8. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

@Flaxative: Negative Energy Being has a full stop in the wrong side of the keyword underline:

<u>Trait.</u> Attach to self. Duration 2.
    => should be
    <u>Trait</u>. Attach to self. Duration 2.

(That's the reason why the layout of the wiki card page is broken.)

ParodyKnaveBob and Flaxative like this.
  9. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

10. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Form cards created by Shifting Block claim their source is the attack that triggered the block, when it should say Shifting Block instead.

shifting.png

11. ParodyKnaveBob

@Kalin: Ah, that might explain how this happened (which I meant to post closer to December 29, 2016)...

CH-Vampiric-Form-from-Ember-Burst.jpg

--

While I'm here, here's another text bug I've accidentally sat on for ... the computer says over a week, but it feels longer, hm ... anyway:

[​IMG]

I was in Caverns and specifically played a Move card with only 1 Move point to ruin the enemy's Maze Of The Mind. As you can see below, it didn't work. $:^ [

CH-bug-Maze-of-the-Mind-vs-Step.jpg

I still won the battle, but meh. Now of course, Monkey Magic is in the air, and people are dealing with this en masse. One opponent even admitted to me mid-battle being confused by the card; I could only reply that the card's text is bugged. Therefore, unless the card's effect is changed to also control Step Moves...

When an enemy within 5 spaces plays a Move card, you control the destination of that Move. Discard this card.

...should read...

When an enemy within 5 spaces plays a non-Step Move card, you control the destination of that Move.

(No need for the old "Discard" line since it doesn't read "Keep" anyway.)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  12. ParodyKnaveBob

I just read through this whole thread recently. Found some interesting tidbits...

I thought Ready To Strike just had an odd decision made to be silent on a successful roll, but this old post makes me think otherwise. RtS is silent -- although I must say I associate the shenk! noise with its success at this point. $}^ J

Huh, looks like I'm not the first (nor the second) to post about Maze Of The Mind. The first was from way back in, what, 2013? $:^ }

I'd started a big ol' long post concerning the Keep keyword and every card in the game, but then ..Flax? ..someone mentioned the possibility of including the Keep mechanic by default in attachments, thus potentially nullifying a lot of what I'd started, and therefore being the reason why I didn't continue it.

Actually, this is a really good point. Ouch! and Brain Burn talk about revealing cards then taking damage (even though the function is different from the description). Unholy Energy doesn't mention revealing, but it reveals. The Aura cards will reveal when their Boost effects take place, but the Harness cards don't; also, Massive Chop does not reveal (although it's currently the only card that words like that, thus we know it's there, ha).

What's the intention here? That any card that affects other cards should reveal? (Perhaps Battleaxe Chop excluded since its effect actually hides other cards?)

And btw, should Battleaxe Chop be a hybrid? I'm actually inclined to suggest an unprecedented Attack|Utility since its secondary effect can be used so tactically, and it's sort of harmful and helpful at the same time in that vein. (But maybe Attack|Handicap for the more straightforward approach? Plus, it's probably more of a handicap when Radioactive Pulse would put it in your hand vs. Binwin's deck being built with it in mind, let alone if we ever see it on player items.)

Ha ha! So then the greatest guild in the land exists because BM tried to fix a typo! Even better! Lol!!

Okay, here's a different idea then. How about creating either a capitalized underlined Keyword or just a capitalized Formal Term to categorize effects that occur after blocks react? It would be a catch-all for Punishing effects, Erratic Damage, etc. I expect Pulverizing effects and Flaring Laser wouldn't need this treatment. It could be as flavorless as a "Post-Block" effect -- or "Post Block Check" if it would avoid confusion over it being blocked or not. Anyway, this way, Lifesaving Block could refer to appropriate damage with a single term that would be consistent across all these other cards, too. A few edits just kind of off the top of my head:

Touch Of Death
    Attack, Magic Unholy, range 1, damage 0
    Increase Post Block Check damage by 2 for each card in target's hand. Penetrating.

Devastating Blow
    Attack, Melee Crushing, range 1, damage 7
    Increase Post Block damage by 2 for each revealed card in target's hand.

Laser Strike
    Attack, Melee Laser, range 1, damage 7
    Major Erratic Damage.

(That keyword would then read, and note I'm changing the order some for further clarity, "Roll a die. If you roll 2 or less, draw a random laser malfunction card. Add the die result to Post Block Check damage.")

On a related note, Major Erratic Damage doesn't need to state "rounded up" since it's not divided in the first place. $¦^ J

This way, players understand the mechanic just a wee bit better, and the primary block this affects currently could much more simply read...

Lifesaving Block
    Block
    Block Any damage that is at least as much as your health. Draw a card.

"But! But! My opp's such-and-such card killed me! How!" "Yeah, I don't know. Lifesaving is weird like that. You have to read the forum to understand all the exceptions. Devs haven't clarified it in years. Sorry." "Man, how is anyone supposed to know that?" "Yeah, I hear ya, it can be annoying."
    vs.
    "But! But! My opp's such-and-such card killed me! How!" "Read the card. It says Post Block Check damage." "Ohhh. Right, thanks, ouch."

The only caveat is that currently it's the only block where this is relevant, and this idea changes a bunch of other cards for clarity. Nevertheless, it would remove the "does 0 damage" gotcha on the current "when this card does damage" description that someone complained about years ago (but which I didn't include in my quotes above, sorry) and thereby shorten the wordiness, allowing more room in some cases, like for proper play-the-card-vs.-the-card-reacts text blocks, or just more flavor texts. $:^ ]

13. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Nope, Desperate Block, Weak Block, Flimsy Block, and Subtle Parry also are relevant.

wereviper and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  14. ParodyKnaveBob

Thank you, timeracers, I don't know how I let those Mind Leak right out just then. $E^ }

15. ParodyKnaveBob

Oh yes, I keep forgetting this one.

Arcane Curse does Magic Unholy damage? $:^ J

Maniafig, wereviper and Gingrich Yurr like this.
  16. wereviper

wereviper Ogre

Maybe it's just me but I think it reads correctly if you think of it as a term of the Unholy referencing more to the Curse than the Arcane. I guess what I'm saying is that the way I understand it, it's unlying meaning to the card text itself is sort of voodoo in a sense? Or maybe like your magic ability is a blessing and a curse?

17. Fanturluche

Fanturluche Thaumaturge

The battle log text for Disorienting Block is

18. PULSEFIRE

PULSEFIRE Ogre

Acid Spray is missing a space between the Cone and the rest of the text. A a result, the first line of text is slightly messed up.
    [​IMG]

19. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

The space is actually there acording to Cards.csv, so it's just a justification / typography problem.
    424,Acid Spray,,Attack,Magic,Acid,3,,2,,2,,,,,,,"<u>Cone</u>. Affected squares become Acid Terrain (<u>Stop</u>. At the start of each round, occupant discards all armor cards and takes 3 Acid damage). Duration 2.",,<aia> sprays a *tiny cone of acid*,,,,,,,,,ConeComponent,,DamageComponent,,AttachToSquareComponent,entryCost=-1,AttachedDestroyOccupantArmorComponent,cardType=Armor,AttachedDamageOccupantComponent,damage=3;damageType=Acid;triggerID=3,,,B,B,B,B,,,,Uncommon,HarmfulTerrain,AcidPool,Implemented,ACID_TERRAIN,,0,2,"Arcane Item,Robes,Staff,Arcane Skill",Done,,,,,,,,

On other news, Negative Energy Being still needs a little fix.

20. Maloqi

Maloqi War Monkey

It's one of the four* Magic Unholy attacks available to Wizards**, so I don't see why it has to change :p

(*five if you count Traveling Curse)
    (**available through Ethereal Form)