What can we do to make this game more popular?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by SirSrsly, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Vacuity

Vacuity Ogre

Well, that's a bunch of players that will never return...

As for suggestions; I'd say that overhauling the league system to reward participation would be good start.

2. wereviper

wereviper Ogre

The way I see it from a player perspective is the best thing that we can do is what was mentioned in a previous post and that's to try to "advertise" the game to our friends and families and not "spam" the game out like crazy. Like anything else, word of mouth (or in the case of digital, word of type? lol) is a powerful tool when it comes to making changes.

3. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

I'm not sure there was much "farming" going on because there was no one to farm from. As I recall league participation just dropped dramatically the second it cost pizza (the promotional introduction of leagues were free). 50 pizza was just more than most players, let alone newbies, wanted to pay (myself included). So with almost no one playing leagues, relatively speaking, pizza leagues only lasted a very short while (a couple weeks at most I think).

Flaxative and wereviper like this.
  4. pr0s3lf

pr0s3lf Kobold

Honestly, this is one of the least volatile, least hostile, most respectful communities I've been a part of. The only way to popularize this game is to advertise, but with that comes a lot of saltiness and immaturity.

5. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

Flaxative!

... but more seriously; when was that happening? I started playing during the beta, and I don't remember leagues ever costing pizza to enter. (Although, I probably wasn't paying any attention to MP for a lot of the time.)

Vacuity likes this.
  6. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

http://www.cardhunter.com/2014/05/new-league-details/

karadoc likes this.
  7. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

Cardhunter was linked to r/webgames, a 91k sized subreddit, a few days ago and gathered a healthy amount of upvotes and positive comments for a couple of days, until the post was removed by mods (they have a 'no sign in' rule for posted games). Most of the negative comments were people who didn't like the play mechanism, which is fair enough, because not all games are for everyone - like, I detest incremental games but a heap of people love them.

Whenever I comment on Cardhunter on other sites, I always mention the following real quick:
    Only things locked behind the paywall are some single player content, character skins and one piece of loot in some chests
    To get ahead fast, complete as much campaign as possible, run LF twice a day, enter all leagues and play the draft and prebuilt leagues straight away
    Links to the wiki and this forum

I feel like that heads off most of the pay2win/takes too long/old players have unbeatable items bs at the pass.

wereviper, karadoc, Maniafig and 2 others like this.
  8. Vacuity

Vacuity Ogre

For a game that's heavily MP-focused, I'd agree. There's plenty of very pleasant SP-focused game communities around, It's true that any influx of new players is liable to increase the idiocy on display at any given moment, but as BM needs to pay server costs, depending on a dwindling player-base isn't a sound long-term strategy.

Curse his overtoasted-marshmallow-black heart!

I do some word of mouth stuff myself sometimes, like when RPS was talking about Halloween events in different games, but maybe I should do more... Ideally, BM would manage to persuade gaming websites to post excited/exciting news articles about new expansions, that kind of exposure is (I guess?) a good thing. Not much we can do to help that though, and that kind of exposure is becoming more and more competitive with every passing month.

wereviper likes this.
  9. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yes, I was one of the folks farming pizza. *whistles*

10. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

i just watched some nice vids of speedruns of 'awesome games done quick' - AGDQ. What about in the future we did some kind of speed run of the campaign? Maybe a speed nudie run? It doesn't have to be live video so we can keep our identities anonymous. Ahh what about this: a competition, fastest recorded spee run wins a 10$ pizza voucher. That speedrun would then be the benchmark we could use to do a live televised attempt at speedrun, get it sponsored, and try to beat the record! We could also offer mini prizes for those who donate on the day, like a signed artwork of blitzenripper or strongarm or something. Or even just a prize of pizza vouchers for those who donate a certain amount!

As a final thing - please try to either commentate your recorded runs or have some nice muisc in the background, to make it more interesting for those watching and thus entice more gamers ;)). I recommend something like VA Lullaby for the Moon, or the laidback music CT5 has in his vids!

Also, if we were more active lifestyles because lets face it as gamers we are generally not the most social especially when diving into an awesome game for weeks, we coiuld meet more friends and recommend the game to them that way! Note - don't immediately thrust the game on them, or it could backfire and they lose interest! Just after knowing them for some time something like ..'hey btw, if you like challenging strategy games I been playing this great turn-based strategy game and its also free to play'.

11. Vacuity

Vacuity Ogre

If Blizkenripper's going to start signing artwork, I'd definitely be first in line for contributing stuff!
    How will he sign? An ink imprint of his claws? Breathing at the corner of the page? I can't wait!

ParodyKnaveBob and Christofff like this.
  12. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I don't think this is a good game for speed runs, you'll probably spend half the time just waiting for your inventory to load.

13. Bleneth

Bleneth Kobold

Do'nt be so down on idea!

Actually I think it good game for speed run no glitches, i don't have slow inventory load unless I have lots running {high anim speed}, and you get to see how good player think.

So we can see it will benefit many...yes people who don't play game won't understand it but tthat's how i feel with normal speedrun anyway. {Where are they going now? Why did he jump there??}. We could have someone {player or someone else} explaining the mechanics of the game as it is played, while it is played, this makes more interesting with more understanding.
    At very least we could use big speedrun prize to get more players

14. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

Like Gary in the Campaign?

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.