Poll: best/favorite ROBES post-CM edition

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Jimmy Pesto, Feb 18, 2017.

?

Poll: best/favorite ROBES post-CM edition

1. Cape of Dark Magic

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Robes of White Wylla

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Korenchkin's Tactical Tunic

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. Meztis Wyrmhide Robes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Overheated Force Suit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Prillith's Frock of Spite

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  7. Vasyl's Ectoplasmic Raiments

9 vote(s)
    32.1%
  8. Firehide Robes

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  9. Anything else with Resistant Hide

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other

9 vote(s)
    32.1%
  1. Jimmy Pesto

Jimmy Pesto Kobold

Please elaborate.

2. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Opt 7, drawing extra cards via medium's garbs is too good to pass up.

3. Gingrich Yurr

Gingrich Yurr Thaumaturge

Korenchkin's, it's too awesome.

4. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

1. Cape of Dark Magic
      I voted for this, I really like these robes. It gives everything a wizard needs, mobility against damage for getaways, Hover against terrain and for cycling and Spell Skill to pretty relianly draw 2 magic cards from the deck, overall very solid robes and something you could plop in any build with tokens to spare (except bless-based builds I guess.)
    2. Robes of White Wylla
      Arcane Shell is more viable than Aura due to its Keep and Free Card keywords, but the 1 extra damage does take a while to stack up when not using Bursts and the like and you can also get one Arcane Shell on a tokenless robe. I do like Arcane Shell but perhaps not enough to invest a yellow token for two.
    3. Korenchkin's Tactical Tunic
      Another solid set of robes. There's one Arcane Shell for some extra damage, an Escaping Run for getaways with a card draw attached and the big star Adaptable. Adaptable is a tricky card, it can shut down some builds but it pretty much a non-issue against others. I do find the card more useful on Warriors myself, with Wizards it's easier for an enemy to just switch to your other characters i your adaptable in the way.
    4. Meztis Wyrmhide Robes
      Mystic Wyrmhide is much better than it used to be, changing the 4+ to a 2+ roll was a good mov, but despite that I still never use it in MP. I think the reason why is that it's mostly useless vs warriors, not very useful against most types of priests and while it is useful against Wizards, most Wizards also carry armor removal. It seems more like a SP item to me, something to bring against attachment-spamming enemies to give them a taste of their own medicine.
    5. Overheated/Explorer's Force Suit
      Both Overheated and Explorer's Force Suits are nice, those Force Fields make a Wizard feel much more secure. Overheated does have Lava Pool which can catch opponents you can't with Wall of Fire, but it's somewhat let down by the Arcane Feedback as a dead card. Meanwhile, Explorer's Force Suit takes an easily mitigated Squamish instead and also comes with Winds of War which further secures your Wizard. I prefer Explorer's myself due to having no dead cards and it giving some useful control for added safety.
    6. Prillith's Frock of Spite
      Just use Vasyl's.
    7. Vasyl's Ectoplasmic Raiments
      Medium's Garb is frankly ridiculous, perhaps the biggest reason not to bother with Spirit Form Arcane Skills, and the only reason I didn't vote this over Cape of Dark Magic is due to the Spirit Card Pool's big variance of usefulness of cards relative to Spell Skill, but even if you get useless cards you still get them for free and get a new one every other turn. There is a chance of becoming a Spirit or self damage from Traveling Curses to make it somewhat risky but it's overall worth it to pick Medium's Garb. Force Cone is also neat, not much else to say. Wouldn't be surprised if it got nerfed.
    8. Firehide Robes
      Excellent for SP farming, wouldn't use in MP.
    9. Other Resistant Hide stuff
      Just use Firehide. Resistant Hide's not that good in MP when any wizard countered by it carries armor removal. It's also mostly useless vs priests and warriors.
    10. Robe of Lightness
      How did you forget about the king of tokenless cycling? Robe of Lightness is a natural pick for a wizard who has no tokens to spare and wants to cycle though their deck as quickly as possible. With two, positive tokenless cycling traits it fits into pretty much any deck unless you're big on Blesses. Cloth Armor is a really bad card but the Hovers make up for it, this is definitely one of the better robes out there by virtue of removing two-thirds of the robe slot from your deck.
    Lots of robes to consider overall, it's always an interesting choice to make for me.

5. hello world

hello world Hydra

Jimmy Pesto likes this.
  6. Gingrich Yurr

Jimmy Pesto and hello world like this.
  7. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Robes Of Foz is also worth of mention. It turns your dwarf wizards into indestructible elves.

Christofff and Jimmy Pesto like this.
  8. Jimmy Pesto

Jimmy Pesto Kobold

Excellent analysis so far.
    Seems I can't edit the poll but need to add:
    • Robe of Lightness
    • Robes of Foz
    • Festive Cape/Perrio's Kinetic Robes/Poltergeist's Cape
    • Cotton Wizard's Robes/Cursed Wizard's Robes.
    Remove:
    • Prillith's Frock of Spite
    • Firehide Robes
    • Meztis Wyrmhide Robes
    • Robes of White Wylla
    Is there available data showing item usage in MP?

9. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Ask @Farbs he knows about the card hunter public api.

10. Gingrich Yurr

Other nice, rare and below robes I like:

Warp Robes:

Decent armor, especially against wizards, and useful trait, and an excellent, way undercosted move. Like a Robes of Foz with less armor but more cycling.

Malevolent Robes:

Only way to get Arcane Shell for tokenless. Fun for singleplayer but probably not viable for multi.

Yellowdrake Robes:

Good protection against wizards with trait cycling to boot. Best used on a dwarf, for obvious reasons, but I have used it on an elf before, because wizards are their main threat.

Boltswap Robes:

Not that good but I have a soft spot for it, best way to get Mystical Wyrmhide for tokenless with two control cards that aren't as bad as they seem. One Force Bolt may be the difference between one Pulverizing Hack in your face or a warrior stuck in his/her place.

ParodyKnaveBob and Maniafig like this.
  11. rinco69

rinco69 Thaumaturge

The public API is too slow to extract item usage information. At least the last time I tried to use it.

12. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Yep, that's still the case unfortunately. We keep a record of all this stuff, which has been extremely handy for balancing the game, but the database is so darned big it times out whenever someone tries to read from it via the API.

13. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

14. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

Festive Robes

Turnbull's Energy Vest

Need a mention too.

But seriously folks, it all depends on the build / meta.

15. Tyro

Tyro Mushroom Warrior

16. 3beaner

3beaner Guild Leader

Voted 'Other' for a toss-up between Perrio's Kinetic Robes and Cotton Wizard Robes, depending on whether I'm going control or silver/lightning/arcane.

17. Prillith's Frock of Spite is my current favourite. works really good. I don't think people understand that it's a minor token, not a major.

Jimmy Pesto likes this.
  18. Jimmy Pesto

Jimmy Pesto Kobold

Interesting - that's why I included it originally. People really like Medium's Garb for draw.

19. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

So, I don't have vasyl's, let alone three of them. I'm running triple human sparkmages and go back and forth between white wylla and cape of dark magic. I'm also going back and forth on boots and human skills. I'll either go Blinking Boots and Focused Positioning or Ulalia's Boots and a human skill with Delegate. I really like the avoidance, deckthinning of dark magicagic but i like the little power boost of arcane shell

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017