Card Ideas

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by timeracers, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Frostguard

Frostguard Thaumaturge

Just for fun.

Pilum Throw
    Attack, Projectile Piercing, Damage 7, Range 4
    If this attack is blocked, defender discards all block cards.

Spontaneous Combustion
    Handicap
    Trait. You take three points of fire damage. Attach this card to yourself. Burning 2, duration 1.
    And then he burst into flames for no apparent reason!

Shield Bash
    Attack, Melee Crushing, Damage 5, Range 1
    Slide Back 1. Attach this card to target. The next melee attack played against target gains Hard to Block 2. Duration 1 or until triggered.

Terror
    Attack, Magic Psychic, Range 4
    Attach to target. When target plays a move card or moves itself, it can't choose a destination closer to the caster than its starting square. Duration 1.

ParodyKnaveBob and WexMajor like this.
  2. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

Enhanced Concentraition
    Attach to target. At the start of each round, target draws a card. Duration 3 or until taget takes damage.
    Range 6.

3. Frostguard

Frostguard Thaumaturge

And more!

Lay on Hand
    Assist, Range 1
    Heal 6. Discard all enemy-controlled cards and handicap cards attached to target. You may not target yourself with this card.

Premonition
    Boost
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. Whenever you target an enemy or an enemy targets you, reveal a random card in that opponent's hand. Duration 2.

Battle Trance
    Boost
    Trait. Attach this card to yourself. Revealed block cards can't trigger against your attacks. Duration 1.

Curse of Fatigue
    Attack, Magic Unholy, Range 4
    Attach to target. Target may not draw cards. Duration 1.

Curse of Pain
    Attack, Magic Unholy, Range 5
    Attach to target. Whenever target plays any card, it takes one point of unpreventable Unholy damage. Duration 2.

Demonic Blood
    Boost/Handicap
    Trait. Whenever you take damage, deal one point of unpreventable Unholy damage to all characters adjacent to you. Duration 2.

Confusion
    Attack, Magic Psychic, Range 3
    Attach to target. When a character with this card attached plays a card that requires a target, it chooses randomly from all available targets. Duration 1.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  4. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Great ideas! Demonic blood is very similar to acidic blood by wexmajor. Concentration is thus spelled. I really like curse of fatigue and pain i think they add new niche mechanics to the game. Lay on hands would be gold quality I think. Maybe silver +. Enhanced concentration is very similar to a monster only card... Greater holy insight

5. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

I love Battle trance and premonition.
    And I spotted another D&D player (Paladin anyone?)

6. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

Ball and chain

Handicap/block
    Block any 6+ Keep
    Encumber 1

Sometimes I move and I drag it in front of attacks.
    All the other times it slows me down.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  7. Super4011

Super4011 Lizardman Priest

Snare
    Attack, melee piercing, 1 range, warrior card. Target unoccupied square becomes Snare Terrain (Stop, when a character moves onto this terrain, deal 3 piercing damage to them, occupants cannot leave this square. Duration 1.

Reckless Assault
    Boost/Handicap, warrior card. Mandatory Action. Draw a card and attach to self: Damage you deal and damage you take is doubled. Duration 2.

Preparation
    Assist, wizard card. Attach to self: At the end of the round, if this card expires, draw 2 cards. Duration 1.

Recycling Magic
    Boost, wizard card. When a card attached to you would expire, add a copy of it to your hand.

Holy Spear
    Attack/Assist, melee holy, 4 damage, 2 range, priest card. If this card deals damage to an ally, that ally heals health equal to double the damage they took.

Peacekeeper's Strike
    Attack, melee holy, 8 damage, 1 range, priest card. If this attack would kill the target, cancel it. Attach a Squeamish card to you and the target.

8. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Trying to think of away to make a drawback block, I got an idea...

Backbiting Block
    (Suggest as Tar)
    Block any. You take 5 Slashing damage.
    4+

My reasoning for Tar is because any normal block check will really make you hurt. It's a big risk to use.

9. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

There's already Jarring Block which has the same 'take damage when blocking' effect, which really should be a Block/Handicap card.

WexMajor likes this.
  10. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

I've tried to make a drawback block too called blackout block.
    Here's another try:
    Shield bearer/ Obvious Block/Ready to Block
    Block any 5+. Blocks in your hand are visible to opponents.

11. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

Frostfire Bolt

Magic attack - Type Cold
    Range 6 - Damage 4
    Attach to target - Duration 2
    Encumber 1, Burning 1

Heavy Steam

Magic attack - Type Fire
    Range 3 - Damage 3
    Attach a random handicap card to target
    Cone

Electric Shock

Magic attack - Type Electric
    Range 1 - Damage 5
    Hard to block 2
    Target discards a random attack card

Command

Magic assist - Type arcane
    Range 4
    Target uses a random move card. You decide destination and target (if possible).

tolkien likes this.
  12. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Jarring Block only does 2 damage. Even blocking a Weak Strike, you're fine. I'd like to think that 5 damage is much more severe.

13. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Sounds like a great Elf Skill card! $:^ ]

Odd for a wizard to have an Assist card, especially generic draw. (Even Spell Skill specifies Magic only.) Maybe this would be better as a Human Skill card?

Jarring Block is bronze at roll 3+ and Block Any. Other than the Battleaxe Block anomaly, Block Any gets higher quality costs. Also note, Dangerous Maneuver is not a Handicap hybrid, Escaping Run is not a Boost hybrid, and Backbiting Strike is not a Handicap hybrid. They have side effects when you play that Move (or play that Attack), but they don't have any separate secondary function (such as Armor which also secondarily adds Fly when you play a Move, or secondarily Encumbers when you Move -- see Unstable Bolt, Massive Chop, and All Out Attack for separate reactive effects).

Contrast with Battleaxe Chop which really should be a hybrid -- probably Handicap. (Although it can feel like Utility, lol. Nevertheless, I know of no example of Utility reacting to something else anyway.)

14. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Some attacks do less than 2 damage (I killed a kobold once with a Memory Loss).

15. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Thanks for the feedback, Bob. Perhaps my block would be of a paper+ quality, then. (It's worse than Jarring, after all.)
    However, the Encumber makes me think of having a very large shield, like a tower shield... Eh, too lazy to think of something.

16. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

I can see the argument about why Jarring Block isn't a handicap, explained as it being a facet of the blocking rather than a seperate drawback with a distinct trigger, it's why something like Parry isn't a Boost because it draws a card. I suppose it also explains why Hit the Deck isn't a handicap card even though it feels like it should be, the self-Halt is simply part of the blocking, it's the same logic for Icy Block not being part Boost.

That said I don't quite agree that it's comparable to cards like Dangerous Maneuver of Backbiting Strike since those cards are active whereas Jarring Block is reactive. Possible drawbacks from actively playing a card aren't a problem since the player can just not play the card, unlike reactive cards which can be triggered by the opponent and aren't in the player's control. But either way that possible drawback isn't enough to qualify for a handicap (or a boost if positive) unless it's a secondary effect. Handicap/Boost cards do make a bit more sense to me now, it amazes me I'm still learning basic things like this after more than 3 years of playing.

Also, we did almost get a Utility card with a reactive element in AA15. :p

ParodyKnaveBob and Gingrich Yurr like this.
  17. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

Enlarge

Magic utility
    Range 4
    Attach to target - Duration 2
    Push 1 all adjacent characters, target becomes a big character, occupying 4 squares.
    Free move, when you move adjacent to another character, deliver 2 crushing damage.
    If target is in a space smaller than 2x2, he takes 4 unpreventable crushing damage.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  18. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

Reliable Teeth
    Armor
    This armor grants Immunity to any one damage source. When this armor prevents damage, you take 3 Crushing damage and attach to attacker. Encumber 1, Poison 1, Duration 2.

I gritted these a bit too much. Luckily, around his arm.

19. 00Banshee00

00Banshee00 Orc Soldier

I wonder what would happen this happened when the target character was in a space that's lesser than 2x2.

20. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

@WexMajor I really like Frostfire bolt and electric shock. Awesome Ideas!
    Heavy Steam gave me an idea:

Steam Spray
    Utility/Attack hybrid Silver quality
    Cone. Burning 1. Affected squares become smoke terrain (no line of sight through smoke terrain.) Duration 2.
    Damage 1. Range 2.

WexMajor likes this.