How about a seafaring expansion?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by j3st3ri, Sep 16, 2016.

1. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

Cardhuntrian water systems are awfully quiet and empty.

I'd like to see in the future a single player campaign that focuses on seafaring either over or under the seas. (or why not both)

There's plenty of themes to exploit here, like "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea".

2. Gingrich Yurr

Gingrich Yurr Thaumaturge

And maybe we'll meet the kraktopus and get its oil.

ParodyKnaveBob, wereviper and j3st3ri like this.
  3. Melancthon

Melancthon Ogre

I like that idea! Ship-based maps, small islands, lots of design space there.

j3st3ri likes this.
  4. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

I was thinking of designing an underwater MM where every character has at least a facemask of some sort to pretend that they have underwater capabilities. You can even do a funny little design trick by having two boards: one on the surface of the water and one on the seafloor, connected by dotted lines to communicate 3 dimensions.

5. Gingrich Yurr

Gingrich Yurr Thaumaturge

wereviper and j3st3ri like this.
  6. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

7. Rehtael

Rehtael Kobold

Yeah an oceanic expansion would be pretty cool, particularly if it added in "Aquatic" tiles, meaning that swimming pieces could move through them. Currently any water that's too deep is just marked as "impassable."
    Then we could have cards that allow swimming.

8. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Here's what I'm thinking we'd need to make that work.

Rule: At the beginning of the turn if you are standing on impassable terrain, you die. Terrain attachments do not count as impassable terrain.

Card Ideas:
    Aquatic
    boost
    You may end your move on impassable terrain. Keep.

Aquamancer
    Boost
    You may target impassable terrain squares. You may place terrain attachments on impassable terrain.

Boot Block
    Block
    3+ Block melee. Block magic attacks that affect your square.

Swim
    Move
    Move 2. (Or move 1) You may end your move on impassable terrain.

Mud
    Attack
    Range 6. Target square becomes mud terrain. Difficult. You cannot block in mud terrain.

Drown
    Attack
    Range 6. Remove terrain attachments in target square and opponent discards all boost cards.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    SceoMyntan likes this.
  9. If you did that, you'd end up with weird situations where people could swim through some ice and those plush velvety fences they put up in airports (Also seen in Aquisitions Incorporated). I think it'd be best to create a whole new terrain type.

wereviper, adajon and SceoMyntan like this.
  10. adajon

adajon Thaumaturge

How about a new terrain type called 'Shallow Water'? It would be difficult terrain, and would have the effect of subtracting 1 from all die rolls made while in it (representing the difficulty of fighting or defending while wading through water). Most aquatic monsters would be able to create this terrain:

Splash (monster-only card)
    Magic Water Attack, Range 8
    Effect: 'Burst 1. Target squares become Shallow Water (difficult terrain; subtract 1 from all your die rolls).

Squirt (monster-only card)
    Magic Water Attack, Range 3
    Effect: 'Cone. Target squares become Shallow Water (difficult terrain; subtract 1 from all your die rolls).

You might find weaker enemies who use cards like this to create Shallow Water, as well as stronger ones who use cards to create normal Water (impassable). These aquatic enemies would be able to move through both terrain types freely:

Aquatic (monster-only card)
    Boost
    Effect: 'Trait. Attach this card to yourself, Duration 3. You are not effected by the effects of Shallow Water. You may move through, and end your move on, Water terrain.'
    Reaction: 'Whenever you Move into Water or Shallow Water, you immediately move an additional space for free.' (this effect can occur any number of times on a single turn, meaning that an Aquatic monster could move through any number of adjacent Water or Shallow Water tiles)

I've also thought of some other cards aquatic monsters might have:

Tentacle Grab (monster-only card)
    Melee Crushing Attack, Damage 5, Range 5
    Effect: 'Attach to target, Duration 2. When attached, Encumber 3.'

Torpedo (monster-only card)
    Melee Crushing Attack, Damage 4, Range 1
    Effect: 'Step 1. This card gains 2 damage for each Water or Shallow Water terrain you move through.'

Watery Grave (monster-only card)
    Magic Water Attack
    Effect: 'Attach to target, Duration 2.'
    Reaction: 'At the end of each round, take 5 Unpreventable Water damage if you are in Water or Shallow Water terrain.'

Dive (monster-only card)
    Block, Roll 3+
    Reaction: 'Block Any if you are in Water or Shallow Water terrain. If this card blocks, you Move 1.'

11. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

I was trying to add a new mechanic without a new type of terrain but I think @adajon 's idea is better. Swim through lava much?
    If we're adding terrain though I think many of the mapmakers would like to be able to place smoke type terrain permanently on the board, terrain that blocks line of sight but not movement

I was also thinking along the same lines of adajon with torpedo. I was going to call it agile charge and not require being linear but that seemed too powerful and sneaky.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    wereviper likes this.
  12. PULSEFIRE

PULSEFIRE Ogre

I'd rather just have ship-based adventures, with creatures that board, so the coders don't have to wrap their heads around underwater adventures.

j3st3ri, ParodyKnaveBob and seth arue like this.
  13. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

Yes, this would be a great solution. One adventure could be something like this:

1st battle - on the deck
    2nd battle - on the enemy ships deck
    3rd battle - below the enemy ships deck.

And what are we fighting? Monkeys, of course :D
    WarMonkeyA.png WarMonkeyB.png

Perhaps one could find a treasure map inside the enemy ship that leads to a treasure hidden in a secret ape lagoon. (nothing to do with the monkey island :rolleyes:)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    tolkien, trrst and wereviper like this.
  14. wereviper

wereviper Ogre

15. PULSEFIRE

PULSEFIRE Ogre

Hey!
    Check out what me and my bro PULSEFLECT have done, over on the mob ideas page!
    http://forums.cardhunter.com/thread...gurations-monster-creation-thread.9111/page-4

XD
    Enjoy.
    Feel free to make feedback, and tell me how we can improve.
    No need for monkeys!
    Anyways, the idea was that there are more crystals, like Attack of the Artifacts, only they are speeding up time, hyper-evolving all the sea creatures.

16. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Why bother with "water rules?" We had an entire adventure that was in the body of a living organism and didn't need new rules/terrain for that. Just have Gary give some dialogue about "You've been given an underwater breathing apparatus for this adventure." If you want to get real fancy, have all figures change to a dwarf/elf or human in a diving suit and give everyone encumber 1 for the adventure.

17. PULSEFIRE

PULSEFIRE Ogre

I understand, but if you look earlier, I just mentioned that maybe we could have it all on a boat, or more accurately, your boat, which is under attack.
    Then, let's move underwater, and simply ignore the fact that you're swimming.
    Anyways, I had made up a whole loophole where you were helping Aloyzo track down some missing Orthinopters, and he'd give you spells, and yadayadyadyadya.
    So yeah. Just ignore the fact that there is water, and find a way around it all.

18. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

I also like Scarponi's idea better than my "end your move on impassable terrain" idea. As a way to indicate and remember the encumber 1 idea I thought of this monster only card.

Underwater
    Arcane Attack Range 10. Create a "Submerged" card in each enemies hand. Unblockable. Free Action.

Submerged
    Drawback. Encumber 1. Reduce damage of attacks by 1.

As a card created in hand, submerged would get around traitcycling, and arrogant armor. Sure you could discard it at the end of round but you might get it again when the monsters attack. The main way to get around it would be wild run, controlled overswing, and leadership.

Monkeys are a great idea for the pirate levels but in that case, just make a Mauve Manticore. To make it worth the developers time I would code new pirates. I mean what fun to record the new pirate voices! That makes it worth all the time and energy of a new expansion right there.

wereviper likes this.
  19. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Before I reread the post I didn't understand what Submerged did. Putting "Drawback." in it is a little confusing. I normally separate the name, attributes, use 1, use 2, rating and rarity.
    So for example:
    Underwater:
    Magic Arcane Attack
    Range 10. Create a "Submerged" card in all enemies' hands that are within range. Unblockable. Free Action.
    Suggested as a [Insert rarity or/and rating here] card.

Notice how there isn't a second use for the card and therefore you wouldn't need another line for it.

wereviper likes this.