Card Ideas

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by timeracers, Jan 2, 2015.

1. wereviper

wereviper Ogre

@tolkien I have Spell Skill on one of my Dwarf Wizards and when RNG is on my side, I have drawn cards that have turned the battle around. I think I may come up with a variation of this card.

2. wereviper

wereviper Ogre

Hat Trick
    Assist

Discard 3 cards from your hand. Draw 3 cards and if any of them are Magic, give them mandatory action.

Edit: Above fixed thanks to @tolkien for correct text

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  3. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Instead of 'play them immediately' do you mean mandatory action?

wereviper likes this.
  4. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Actually, immediately would have been okay (Although overpowered). Mandatory Action changes it completely, as this will end your turn, then each one will be played one at a time. (Mandatory Action doesn't give Cantrip)

5. wereviper

wereviper Ogre

Yeah I looked that up and figured out that the best chance for the card to make it in game if it is one that ever gets picked was try to make it accessable but not so OP that it ruins the balance of the game.

6. Frostguard

Frostguard Thaumaturge

I don't know the current consensus about control wizards (or triple control wizard), but one thing's for sure: with Gusting Feystaff, it's easier to spam control cards than ever. While of course control cards have counterplay, in the form of Immovable and Stone Feet, to be honest, the thing that bothers me about the dynamic between control and its counterplay is that it's way too binary. You either get unlucky and don't draw your Immovable and they throw you around like a ragdoll, or you get lucky and draw it and then they cry. So I thought... What if we had cards that do something reasonably useful in all situations, but for a slightly increased cost mitigate (but not eliminate) enemy control?

Implacable Mail
    Armor/Boost, Silver quality
    Armor 2, 3+. Keep.
    Anchor 1. Keep.

Anchor 1: If you are be moved by an enemy card, you're moved one square fewer. (I wonder if it should be able to reduce enemy-induced movement to zero.)

Even something like...

Unstoppable Frenzy
    Attack/Assist, magic unholy, Damage 1, range 6.
    Attach to target. Frenzy 2, Anchor 1. Duration 2.

Another thing I noticed that almost all forced discard seems to be linked to some disruption of the mind. Confusion (perplexing rays), startling (Startling Strike, Unnerving Strike), Memory Loss. It got me thinking...

Mental Fortress
    Boost
    Trait. Whenever an enemy-controlled card would make you discard a card, it has no effect instead. Duration 2.

Feels like a helmet/human skill to me. Or if we make it about willpower, it could go with dwarves. Alternatively, it could even be an assist card for priests without the Trait, obviously (though then again that'd probably make it very niche and therefore unused).

However, considering the handicaps that usually force discards (Cowardly, Dropped Guard):
    Trait. Whenever an enemy-controlled card or a handicap card would make you discard a card, it has no effect instead.

The only exceptions seem to be the armour-discarding acid cards and Sundering Strike, so that's a problem. Or maybe it could even make the character resistant to Psychic damage.

I'm just making up stupid ideas, though!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    wereviper, adajon, Maniafig and 3 others like this.
  7. wereviper

wereviper Ogre

The only card I've seen in game that makes any character "resistant" per say to Psychic damage is Adaptable. The best refrence I could come up with any form of "resistance" maybe would do a helmet card perhaps with the basis like like that of the armor card Spiked Mail maybe but with an effect like that of Shimmering Aura? Perhaps as an example such as this:

Brain Guard

Armor (Helmet)

Armor 2. If this Armor prevents damage from a Psychic Attack, the attacker takes 2 Psychic damage.

Psychic Refraction (or Reflection which ever makes more sense)
    Armor

Armor 3. This Armor only prevents damage from Psychic Attacks.

Someone I'm sure will come up with better ideas or perhaps there are other alternitives posted for this.

As far as trying to counter armor discarding cards I would say maybe some form of a Boost card lasting 2 turns at most to give your armor temp immunity? It might be OP but it's an idea anyway.

8. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

Full Defense

Block any roll 4+ Keep
    Block any roll 2+ Discard your oldest card

Careless Attack

Melee attack - Type crushing
    Damage 5 - Range 1
    Discard all your hand, add 3 damage per card discarded.
    Add 1 damage per revealed card in target's hand.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  9. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

I would make the attack one damage to check for armor as well.

10. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

You can always buff it...

tolkien likes this.
  11. Super4011

Super4011 Lizardman Priest

Pulling Stab
    Attack, melee piercing, 4 damage, 2 range, warrior card. Penetrating, Slide 1, target cannot end the slide farther away from you than from the starting position of the slide.
    First Strike
    Attack, melee piercing, 1 damage, 1 range, warrior card. When this card deals damage, increase it by 7 if this is the first card played this round, also increase the damage by an additional 7 if you or the target are at full health.
    Overcharged Spark
    Attack, magic electric, 8 damage, 6 range, wizard card. Hard to Block 3, at the end of each round, deal 6 penetrating electric damage to yourself and 3 electric damage to all adjacent characters.
    Purging Fire
    Attack, magic fire, 3 damage, 4 range, wizard card. Attach to target: Burning 2, at the end of each round, discard a random card other than this attached to the character. Duration 2.
    Holy Transformation
    Attack/Assist, magic holy, 1 range, priest card. For each unholy card in the target's hand, discard it and deal 3 unpreventable holy damage to the target, then create 2 random holy cards and place them into the target's hand, cannot be played when you have unholy cards in your hand.
    Dark Prayer
    Assist, magic unholy, priest card. Heal 2 and create a random unholy card in a random ally's hand, this triggers twice if you have another unholy card in your hand, cannot be used if you have a holy cards in your hand.

wereviper likes this.
  12. PULSEFIRE

PULSEFIRE Ogre

Compression Wave
    Attack, Magic Sonic
    6 damage
    Unblockable, Slide 2
    Range 6
    Flavor: Ow! That one hurt my ears!

Radioactive Surge
    Movement Card
    Free Move
    5 move points
    When you end this move next to blocking terrain, or an enemy unit, deal 3 Radioactive damage and create and attach a random handicap to yourself and all adjacent enemies.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    wereviper likes this.
  13. PULSEFIRE

PULSEFIRE Ogre

Add Unbuffable, from Jim's Magic Missile, then we're good to go.

14. PULSEFLECT

PULSEFLECT Orc Soldier

Aether Rip
    Attack, magic arcane, 8 damage, 5 range, wizard card. Burst 2, Unbuffable, and create a random arcane card in a random character's hand.
    Flavor Text: Ripping holes through spacetime can lead to unexpected side effects.

Ion Storm
    Attack, magic electric, 8 damage, 2 range, wizard card. Cone, Encumber 2, Hard to Block 2, and damage increases by 2 for every electric card in your hand. Discard all electric cards in your hand.

Explosive Teleport
    Movement/Attack. Range: 5. If you end this card next to an enemy, Push 3, and deal 9 radioactive damage. Deals 2 radioactive damage to yourself.

Mind Expansion
    Utility, magic psychic. Create 2 random psychic cards in everyone's hands, including enemies.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    wereviper likes this.
  15. PULSEFLECT

PULSEFLECT Orc Soldier

Laser Gatling
    Attack, magic laser, 6 damage, 3 range, wizard card. Cone, Unbuffable, Hard to Block 2. Deals 1 extra damage for each laser card in your hand, and creates difficult terrain.
    Flavor Text: Mow 'em down, Soldier.

16. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

I like these two ideas. The others involve mechanics not coded for. I really like the random aspect to purging fire. Fire does purge. And it counters in itself a burn deck. Great idea. I'm not sure if they'll ever go for allowing wizards to have any purge cards besides warp run. But one could always hope.

17. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

Echoing Curse

Trait
    Duration 1
    Deliver 2 unpreventable psychic damage to attached character.
    If the duration expires this turn, attach this card to a random enemy.

18. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Fixed that for you...not bad, either. I'd call it Traveler's Curse, but that's me.

WexMajor likes this.
  19. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

Hated

Trait. Attach this card to yourself.
    At the beginning of your turn, all enemies in your line of sight draws a card.
    Duration 1.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  20. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

^ and turn to face you. Unblockable.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017