Aloyzo's Arsenal #15: You make the card! Part 4: Card Effect!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Flaxative, Oct 21, 2016.

?

Aloyzo's making a new card. What's the card?

Poll closed Nov 4, 2016.
  1. Clear Mind

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Disengage, Soldiers!

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. Ready to Strike

30 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Scout's Vigil

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Terrifying Visage

30 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. Trailblazer

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I made the assumption that those who voted for neither major choice either
    a) aren't paying enough attention to be salty
    b) don't really care too much
    or
    c) already knew their fave was going to lose, so the salt's out of their system

2. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

You also made the assumption that whoever voted for a major card is going to be salty if they lose.
    (Assuming you made that assumption instead of producing magic numbers (what I mean by magic numbers is that those numbers wouldn't be easy to guess))

ParodyKnaveBob and Potato Priest like this.
  3. Seemed like a good one at the time, less so now that I'm being called out on it.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  4. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yall keep reading deep, I just assume that complaints are the baseline :p

5. Paper Crit

Paper Crit Orc Soldier

I voted Terrifying Visage. A classic warrior support. Scare 'em to death.

trrst and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  6. Pokemaster131

Pokemaster131 Lizardman Priest

I think you should give Disengage, Soldiers! some sort of underdog award. From when I last looked to now, its vote count has increased by a factor of infinite.
    (From 0 to 2)

7. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

While I'm aware of it, there's a very strong reason that noone- even those familiar with the meaning- would interpret that.
    First off, your usage was grammatically invalid for such a phrasing- it would have been "trumped it up".
    • But she just trumped it up to the pregnancy
    • Ascough could well have trumped it up to justify his men's plunder
    • I trumped you up all of my friends
    Second, "to trumpet" is a usage originating in the 1300s (both the proclaim, extol and outrank, overpower, overcome meanings popped up in the 1500s) of which the 'trumpeting' meaning has seen nearly no use outside of poetry since the 1700s, where, while adhering to the same general meaning, it took on its current negative implication of deceitful intentions.
    • We shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump
    • The wakeful trump of doom.
    • But when kings come so low as to fawn upon philosophy, which before they neither valued nor understood, it is a sign that fails not, they are then put to their last trump.
    /
    • She faced trumped up charges.
    • To trick or trump mankind.
    • Authors have been trumped upon us.

In other words, the word usage does exist as you expect, but the expected grammar usage and/or expected negative implications of the word aren't going to allow you to convey your meaning well outside of precise contexts.

..expecially in Britian, where the "to trumpet" meaning ended up leading to it becoming slang for farting. Then again, it seems like everything in Britain is slang for farting. :X

I don't think anyone was. :p

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  8. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

But these are a yet another meaning, referencing Judgement Day (the first line is a straight quote of the Bible).

9. vitreo84

vitreo84 Goblin Champion

i Think that Visage should be range 2.... since range 4 card is almost a wizard teleport. I like that visage can't be saved to be used to the right moment since if opponent move card is discarded :)
    About ready to strike i think that 8 damage from helm is a very high damage from a support card : spiked mail deal only 2 damage easily covered by armor and barbed armor can be used only on main armor.... the stronger attack that i see on helm is a lunging bash so 8 damage is like 2 attack from any helm's card.
    I like that is a good counter to vengeance since sometime the warrior with vengeance move next to a warrior that is blocking the road to protect a wizard and attack the wizard instead of the warrior protecting him.

10. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Rather, it's the classic meaning.
    Though, as far as grammar goes, it can't be a quote straight out of the bible, unless it's in Hebrew. \~.^

The original meaning basically meant to trumpet or outcry about something.
    "We shall be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last [call]"
    "Yet first to those chained in sleep, the wakeful [trumpet] of doom must thunder through the deep"
    "But when kings come so low as to fawn upon philosophy, which before they neither valued nor understood, it is a sign that fails not (to indicate) that they (have been) put to their last [cry]."

In other words, the original meaning (1300s) had neither positive nor negative affectations. It moved to positive indications after that (1500s) [as used by PKB], but then fell into primarily negative connotations after that (1700s).
    The overall utility of the word hasn't really changed since the 1300s, but in applied usage it has completely moved away from being a synonym for other words of exclamation, and almost entirely come to hold meanings based in concepts of deceit, with positive indications removed to being solely a niche presentation of the word.

[Meanwhile, the 'overcome' sense of meaning is based in an entirely unrelated word, deriving from the Italian word for triumph, whereas the "trumpet" interpretation originates from the French word of the same meaning.]

11. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

In awaiting Aloyzo's surprise, I also considered Flaxative's announcement in light of more than one person specifically mentioning (to one degree or another) that it'd rock if we all created the game's first Utility|Boost hybrid. $:^ ] (And yes, I know, at least one person also said a Boost period would boost Helmet appeal. Just musing out loud here. heheh)

~sigh~

I had no intention of causing pages of debate over one little pun.

"I believe the loudest of us trumped (yes, voting, pun,) Terrifying Visage"
    |
    v
    "loudest ... trumped"
    |
    v
    "loudest" - adjective used as a noun
    "trumped" - verb with one dictionary definition (not marked "obsolete" nor "archaic") being "to proclaim or announce with or as if with a fanfare"

- You said you're aware of the meaning, but you argue anyway.
    - I actually used it pretty neutrally: the loudest trumped. Just a funny pun (with the whole "voting" thing and with people even mentioning US democracy).
    - Even if someone believed I made a typo, context was clear that I didn't intend a negative connotation. Not one worry there.
    - If I'd used "to trump up" as you suggested, then I would've cast a negative connotation.
    - The grammar doesn't need that "up" modifier (which would change the connotation anyway). Loudest trumped. Noun + verb. It's good to go. (I'm leaving out the intricacies of English sentence structure for simplicity here. I hope to avoid more pages over this silly pun.)

Dun3, although I appreciate the need to be right and the desire to help others, I disagree with your notions of what's acceptable use. For example, your statement that the expression, "it's a feature -- not a bug," is always used ironically? I reply, nope. $:^ ] In my experience with my fellow game historians, critics, and developers, I see it used literally (even when tongue-in-cheek) more than ironically. (The manuals for Adventure (Atari 2600) and Super Mario Bros. (NES) hung lampshades on what would've been considered bugs, except their designers' creativity spun them into features instead. $:^ ] Fun stuff. That tradition continues.) I didn't say never ironically. I'm just saying it gets plenty of literal use. (However, I can understand that "literal but for sly humor" muddies the water if someone has difficulty keeping patterns straight. Sorry about that of course.)

Final note, the New Testament (where the "last trump" quote comes from) was written in koine Greek -- not Hebrew. (That translation otoh is Early Modern English, although its literary usage continues even secularly through allusions etc., thus plenty of its Early Modern obsolescences still see the light of day even secularly.)

Hopefully I won't feel any further need to clarify.

Cheers! $:^ J
    Bob

12. You can count on us, Flax, you didn't need to specifically give the order. :D

13. Robo11500

Robo11500 Mushroom Warrior

If an item or card has this; [​IMG] it was a players fort, made by AA, yes?

14. Rohndil

Rohndil Hydra

Exactly. Here's the full list.

15. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Yep items and cards with that emblem are from AA.

16. Robo11500

Robo11500 Mushroom Warrior

Vindicated!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  17. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

Um... any news regarding the card choice and final item?

18. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Got a bit caught up in new content, will consult with Jon and let you all know ASAP.

19. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Items, it will likely be more then one item.

20. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Quasi-P.S. After now having played some and personally facing Vanguard and Vengeance, I can see why people were freaking out about Visage. Eek.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.