Aloyzo's Arsenal #15: You make the card! Part 4: Card Effect!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Flaxative, Oct 21, 2016.

?

Aloyzo's making a new card. What's the card?

Poll closed Nov 4, 2016.
  1. Clear Mind

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Disengage, Soldiers!

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. Ready to Strike

30 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Scout's Vigil

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Terrifying Visage

30 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. Trailblazer

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

$8^ O $8^ o $:^ D

Less Distracted (or some much better name for the helmet helping to block out unnecessary visuals ... Sun Out of Eyes also came to mind, but lots of indoor/underground battles y'know)
    Boost
    - Trait. Attach self. Duration 2.
    - Add {X} damage to any damaging Melee Attack you play. Keep.
    roll 6+
    Natural 20! Critical strike!

I think that's pretty fun and flavorful. A guy can dream, can't he? $E^ b
    Clearly, the {X} would be determined by card quality in this case.

Funny, just remembered All Out Attack, too. Attack|Boost non-trait hybrid. Hm.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  2. Round, Hard Helmet
    Projectile Bludgeoning
    Damage 6, Range 4

Armor 2, Roll 2+

At first I thought they were eye holes, but then I realized they have another purpose.

[​IMG]

Krunail and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  3. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

The topic was "obvious associations", which I more than appropriately addressed by verifying that, outside of real world functionality (which clearly does NOT apply to Card Hunter), there was no basis for assuming any obvious associations between helmets and armor bonuses (and thus it'd benefit hello world to elaborate the premise they were working off of, if they wanted to make a point).

I wasn't offering any negation to their preferences, or against armor as a valid choice for this event (aside from the fact that it could benefit from some creative concepts)- a fact which I rather clearly stated :p
    (Nevermind that armor cards don't have to actually be armor-based
    I was solely pointing out the confusingly vague nature of their comment in favor of their selection.

Still not seeing anything intuitive, but not knocking that armor can't be an interesting direction to go. Personally, I'm favoring the tactical direction of going utility, assist, or boost. ^.^

Potato Priest likes this.
  4. My apologies. Although I understood you meant to point out that his reasons weren't that obvious, I feared that your comment about standard RPG interpretation of helmets would sway voters away from armor and wished to rebut.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  5. Pyrious

Pyrious Hydra

I feel like these are relevant.

ParodyKnaveBob and Potato Priest like this.
  6. ParodyKnaveBob

"Alert" is manipulatable with Cantrip relocations, but whatever, so is "Inspir*" with Punishing attacks. $¦^ J

Bah, so now I'm back up to five instead of eliminating any.

(new?) = could be interesting b/c primarily Helmet and supposed to be new
    (Move?) = candidate for Move hybrid

Attack - (new?) - hoping for Sonic, but obviously not guaranteed - (Move?)
    Boost - hard to go wrong here - (Move?)
    Assist - (new?) - however, soooo easy to remain similar to other stuff already
    Armor - (new?) - and like @hello world said, potentially flavorful due to low Armor values if higher quality - (Move?)
    Utility - totally unique, hard to imagine it (aside from Jump, Soldier! -esque)

EDIT: New thought on Boosts. There probably aren't many Helmet Boost Traits because both Helmet and Martial Skill are Warrior-exclusive, eh? Hence Warrior generally getting Boost Traits from the Skill. (Wizards are kooky, though, with the Robe Traits.) Talking pure Boosts -- not Blind Rage, which appears in several item slots anyway.

7. Doesn't look to me like you're down to 5 options.
    Here's my attempt at cross-internet psychology.
    My guess is you aren't going to go for Assist, given that you commented on its likelihood of being similar to existing stuff. You are very positive about Boost, and Hopeful about Attack. These are good emotions, so you will probably go for one of these. You display little emotion towards Armor, and are uncertain about Utility. These are less good emotions, so you probably aren't going to go for one of these unless somebody says something very mind changing.

Just a shot in the dark here. ;)

8. What cards can be hybridized with what others, or, if it's easier to answer, what cards can't be hybridized with what others?

9. ParodyKnaveBob

Nice, Potato. $:^ ]

Good thing I usually keep my feelings out of the points under debate then. $:^ P Indeed, I'm up in the air, seeing if someone can say something mind-changing here. It's already happened more than once in the thread. I'm certainly up for more.

- I'm iffy on Assist and Armor, but only because I started much more against them. The discussion has reminded me that there's no telling what creativity we might spark in Aloyzo's mind.
    - Attack grew on me due to flavor (and potential Sonic Attack). Hopeful, yep.
    - Boost .. it seems the obvious choice as far as making playable, desirable helmets because by very definition, it Boosts .. but then the Castle is bringing a lot more Boosts to the table. A hybrid Boost|Move that's Helmet-primary has weirdness potential if the Boost doesn't simply perform a reactionary Move like all(?) the others.
    - I'm most curious about Utility. My curiosity drives hard. The reminder that a Warrior could get another new Attack method, however, toned down my desire for Utility.

Proving to myself that Helmet Armor can be cool and thematic and not necessarily overcosted:

Intimidating Visage
    Armor Boost
    Armor 3. This Armor does not prevent damage from behind you. Keep.
    (no roll)
    "I intended to hit harder, honest, b- but- when I saw her face..."

(EDIT: I realize that could be a Boost instead, even one that stays in hand, but I love the role-playing idea of cutting/melting/etc. through someone's helmet armor ... of course, then it's weird that the armor wouldn't help from behind .. blah, see? There went my attempt a proving potential for Helmet Armor. Nevermind. Should be a Boost. ~chuckle~ EDIT: Well, maybe Armor|Boost just for flavor's sake? But it only does one thing... Eh, yeah, back to Boost, then. Non-Trait.)

10. Krunail

Krunail Kobold

Looking at Weakened Armor I'm pretty sure it would be an armor.

11. ParodyKnaveBob

Well, I got my wording from that card, but don't forget some non-Armor cards provide the Armor keyword, too, like Stone Feet and Battle Rage -- and I believe the new werewolf card?

12. Krunail

Krunail Kobold

Yeah, but Battle Rage and Stone Feet are attachments. I'm not sure about the werewolf card, I haven't playtested the expansion.

13. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Notice all of those are attachments.

14. Rohndil

Rohndil Hydra

As I feel the helmet is an important part of a suit of armor... I'm voting armor (yay originality).

15. ParodyKnaveBob

(Not like it's a real card, but just for the sake of exploring the topic...)

I'm fine with it being in-hand non-Armor with Armor keyword. After all, Adaptable is in-hand Armor without the Armor keyword. $:^ D

I mean, sure, it could be a Trait, but I personally like the flavor of "this is not the character's trait -- this is the effect of the helmet" (not that all item Trait cards secure that flavor anyway).

Meanwhile, if it were a cycler, hey, more power to the Warrior -- but then it'd be harder to balance to make sure it's not the only helmet anyone uses. The QR+Curse and Angry Jack's both see a lot of play for reasons. Like cycling. (And good cards. Lol. Anyway.)

16. Song Attack! I seem to be very vulnerable to this sort of assault.

17. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Hmm....

Incitement
    Utility
    Projectile Sonic
    Attach Blind Rage to all chars within 4 squares of you.

Maniafig and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  18. That's despicable. If I never had blind rage attached to me again, it would be too soon. Also, it's more of an assist, since it is quite similar to Mass Frenzy with some of the attributes of Inspiring Presence.

19. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Wrong that card should be utility since it attaches a boost/handicap card to both allies and enemies.

20. Doesn't spark of undeath do the same thing? It's an attack/assist.

Walpurgis night also attaches boost/drawback cards to allies and enemies and it's a Handicap/attack. It even purges and it's not a utility.

Can you explain to me why Kalin's card would be a utility using either examples or a quote from the devs? I am having a hard time understanding the line in the sand here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.