Levelling in this game seems slightly counter-intuitive

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Hunter of Cards, Oct 24, 2016.

1. I'm currently at renown 8, and I find that levelling seems to be pretty counter-intuitive. When you level up, you're forced to have more equipment, which increases the number of cards you have. My draw rate remains at 2, so it means that i'll actually have a smaller chance to draw the cards I want.

E.g I have an arcane skill that boosts electric damage and increases chance to bypass block for zaps. So I built cards around electric skills. But now I have a crapload of cards like movement from elf skills that are decreasing the chance for that arcane skill to appear. Also, having more weapons means that if I do want to stick with a certain strategy, i'll have to buy more items that are all of the same type rather than just using 1.

I don't see the point of this. Right now i'm dreading when the game would randomly give new equips, since more often than not they just tend to screw up the current strat i'm using. How can levelling up in the game cause it to have more RNG? I mean literally I had some times where I only drew armor and movement cards on my warrior. Compared to lower levels where I could almost always draw 2 decent attack cards, this feels pretty crap.

2. Can't edit my post for whatever reason, so i'm posting edits here.

The good thing is that it does make me try to fit in a new strategy, but why the heck would I get disadvantaged when levelling up? Right now when I'm browsing for rare items, if I see a rare card that only has 1 offered it might as well be bloody non-existent since there's no significant chance that I can draw it during a match anyway.

3. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

Having a bigger deck of cards is more interesting. The reason players start out with a small deck of cards is probably to make things less confusing for new players. So think of the games with fewer cards as tutorials more or less.

Also when you level up you get more HP and power tokens, so in those respects you are getting better.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  4. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

That's how this game is. But you're correct that it might be a curse to have more item slots, in single player attack cards are definitely the most useful ones and move cards the least useful ones.

5. Is there a mini guide on the basic strategies available? I feel like i'm not "getting" the game even though I've played for a while. Briefly looked through the forums and the posts seem to be about scenario guides instead of a general 'what to do' guide.

Given how my cards keep increasing I don't think I can build strats based off those arcane/martial skill cards anymore. Not reliably at least.

6. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Because there really isn't just one type of deck that will beat everything. Each level will have different challenges to it.
    First example, the electric build you mentioned can be very powerful, but might do nothing against Giant Cockroaches, who can draw Resistant Hide and mess up your plans (unless you put cards that can remove armor in your deck).
    Personally, I found Dwarves much better to play in single player than the other races, because the enemies come to you anyways.
    On the note of the increase in deck size, there are ways to kinda get around that. You may have noticed that those Traits from your Skills will draw a card when you play them? Well, you can use that to your advantage. Boots like Goat Boots or Sticky Slippers can help you draw the cards you actually want to draw.
    Or perhaps use a Priest with draw cards like Inspiration combined with Altruism
    Best of luck!

ParodyKnaveBob and wavy like this.
  7. Dude, renown 8 means that you play for almost 1 day. There is so much more in this game. At around level 18, you will reach the max item slots and max cards. And there are much better cards after that. From my point of view, completing the campaign is actually finishing the tutorial and having some decent equipment to keep going. And there are ways of shortening the deck ;)

And a tip: Avoid buying equipment from the shops. It's too expensive, you'll get better prices later as your renown rises and in a couple of months you'll have most of the gray, green and blue items anyway.

8. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Incorrect. At level 7 or 8 you will have all the slots and don't need to worry about getting more. No the campaign is too hard to be a tutorial after the first few levels of it. The cost of an item is increased if you have at least 2 less renown than the item level, multiplying the cost by the difference.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  9. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

General strategies:
    • Read your cards. Read your opponents' cards. Look for strengths and weaknesses between them.
    • You probably shouldn't buy anything from the shops; common-rare stuff will drop easily and the rest you can't afford.
    • Only sell things you're sure you don't need (duplicate treasures, excess equipment).
    • Don't be afraid to pass to get better cards.
    • Join leagues. For 50 gold you get 3 magnificent chests even if you don't play any games. Winning one game is usually good enough for an epic chest. Fixed deck and QD leagues are super random.

Melancthon and vitreo84 like this.
  10. I wrote "from my point of view" which is different both from his and yours. I have completed all missions, all medals, all MM, Centurion and have finished CoC (not RtCoC, it's not worth the time spent) at least 15 times (reached the Throne room at least double that). I don't play every day and when I do I prefer PvE to PvP, mostly doing the LF and a CoC run. You find the main campaign too hard?

"...you'll get better prices later as your renown rises". I am not saying something different, why do you quote me?

Is that you Melvin?

Maniafig likes this.
  11. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Prior quotes above.

LOL, you missed the point. I didn't say the campaign was "too hard" I said it was "too hard to be a tutorial". Also I have completed CoC, MMs, Centurion, all adventures, and nearly all the "medals" (AI ones incomplete and 2 others).

You aren't incorrect but I gave more information which is worth.

You quoted an incomplete quote. You should be quoting at least: "Incorrect. At level 7 or 8 you will have all the slots and don't need to worry about getting more." Saying that you have all the slots at around 18 is severely off, which is why I said you were incorrect.

12. Good suggestions, I can probably try to fill my deck with more traits if I don't need so many mobility cards. And eugh, dwarves :rolleyes:

ParodyKnaveBob and seth arue like this.
  13. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

Try this thread.

If you want to get technical, a hypergeometric calculator will let you know the exact odds of drawing a given card(s) within a certain number of turns.

Learning to thin a deck with traits and drawspam is part of playing the game. Parry, martyr's blessing, catch arrow, mimetic, etc etc etc.

There is no 'one size fits all' party in single player, but generally once you get the draining priest items, commonly referred to as 'vamp', most SP levels are a breeze. Two vamps + whatever works a treat, using dwarven vamps for modules where the enemy comes to you and elven vamps to track down ranged mobs (like the various demon portal levels). Most often the 'whatever' is a fire mage, but it takes a lot of legendary items to build the best fire mage, so you may have to experiment with what you have in the meantime.