Castle Mitternacht Armchair Balance Thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Kalin, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

An idea I had (before seeing the recent changes) was to swap its effects with Vampire's Kiss:
    For every char, purge all attached cards, discard hand, attach random Form, and draw cards equal to the number discarded.
    (If you're going to flip the table, flip it good.)

2. I think folks who have used the cards in SP input should be just as valuable as someone who has used them in MP. I see nothing armchair about that.

As someone who has worked on RTS and ARPG games, all balance feedback should be considered, even if it doesn't come from known, trusted or favorite play testers.

As someone who just played CH for ages and never did forums or playtests. I kept seeing the same balance issues popping up over and over, and figured it was due to the same group of playtesters over and over. Sometimes the best feedback comes from unexpected or inexperienced sources.

And honestly some of the above mentioned cards were called out as being broken with the preview stories, and the fact that they got even shown to the public in the state they were in baffled me, but design teams all have different philosophies on stuff like that.

But don't feel bad Kalin, I got the same kind of attitude when I gave feedback on card changes the one time I tried to lend a hand even though the test server was empty the multiple times I got on. I figured, Blue Manchu doesn't pay me enough to do their job for them -AND- get attitude.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    mikey76500 and vitreo84 like this.
  3. Valadilene

Valadilene Lizardman Priest

The new Ancient grudge looks totally useless in Quickdraw.

One Ancient Grudge in hand. Six in discard. With this play you can manage to do a grand total of 2 damage!

4. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Luckily you'll never be forced to take it! :)

vitreo84 likes this.
  5. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I'm not feeling bad about this, I created this thread as a way to jokingly follow the rules (and this thread obviously isn't being ignored anyway). And I actually agree with the devs about PvP being more important than SP when testing balance.

Flaxative likes this.
  6. Although I, like Kalin, infrequently frequent pvp, I also agree that MP balance is more important than SP. SP is hopelessly broken if you want it to be with or without the update (with a few exceptions, such as Blitzkenripper, who is always a bit of a challenge due to purge breath and the best defensive deck in the game) due to the frequent abuse of firestorm, volcano, and nimbus. I don't think that any of this new stuff will screw SP up as much as Firestorm already has.

7. Yes.

8. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

Cheese (flash flood and doom) has defeated even the mighty Blitzy

9. hello world

hello world Hydra

To be fair, the card that looked really op was ancient grudge, but people were expecting it to come on staves while it was on arcane items, you can pack enough control to land some killer grudges easily if it was on staves, but balancing the right number of control cards while devoting the arcane item slots to grudge is harder.

10. Heck, half the time when I am on MP I can't even scroll through the "Games in Progress" list twice, not sure how that can be more popular and profitable than the campaign, unless all the high rankers pay to win all the time.

I only burn money to get new modules to see what happens to Gary and them Goofballs next! MP is just something for me to do in between new modules.

Potato Priest, vitreo84 and seth arue like this.
  11. I agree that I don't see the monetary incentive here for Blue Manchu. A lot of the really serious players will instead of paying to win, just do a ridiculous number of play-testing battles for the new loot, and us SP addicts won't have anything obvious to buy.