what else are you playing?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by neoncat, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

I've been playing Stardew Valley, Diablo 3 (finally got a Collector's Edition for below MSRP which was my mission before I played it), and Rocksmith 2014 (I played it before but figured I'd pick it up again since I have a lot of downtime at work to learn the guitar).

2. wereviper

wereviper Ogre

I've loved the Diablo series from the begining! Would love to play D3 at some point when I can get some money together. Once I upgrade my computer, I'll be exploring into some better games but for now I work and am earning my BS degree to finally become a certified IT. Card Hunter to me has been one of the most addictive games I've ever got into and I've been pretty addicted to games in the past like World of Warcraft (on private servers, and was an admin on one server I played on), Nox, Neverwinter Nights, and I'm sure a whole list of games I can't think of off the top of my head aside from Mortal Kombat

3. HisRoyalHygiene

HisRoyalHygiene Guild Leader

I normally hate puzzle platformers but INSIDE (from the makers of limbo) blew me away. It transcends its genre and is comparable to Portal in many respects. (one of the highest compliments I could give a game)
    It's a relatively short game so I recommend everyone check it out :)

4. rinco69

rinco69 Thaumaturge

Nuclear Throne, action rogue-like twin stick shooter, sign me up! I have been waiting some time for it to be on sale. But it just hasn't. Then today I find out it is in the latest Humble Bundle as the sweetener: https://www.humblebundle.com/humble-indie-bundle-17.

Also in the bundle is Super Time Force Ultra. I am a huge fan of this game. Although I already have it through subscriptions to PSN Plus and Xbox Games with Gold.

5. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

I've been playing a load of Roguelikes recently, but I got kinda tired of the whole "World fits together in a manner that makes sense to most people" thing that they all had. So I turned to HyperRogue, a roguelike on a hyperbolic plane, resulting in wonderful gameplay and geographical features such as:
    • Straight lines that are neither parallel nor converge. In fact, barring one land, straight lines don't converge at all! This means that every area can be bordered by an infinite number of other areas, because most have a straight Great Wall dividing them.
    • Most enemies move at 1 square per turn, same as you. However, due to straight lines not converging, running in a straight line means that even though they're running alongside you at the same speed, you will eventually "outpace" them.
    • One of the hardest challenges in the game is finding your way to the center of a moderately sized circular area. It's completely open, the edge is clearly marked, it's just that past a certain point you can't see the edge anymore and going just a little off of the path means you'll overshoot the center by a massive amount due to the topology of the game.
    • The other really hard challenge is finding your way from point A to point B with a guide showing you where to go (still rather hard), then finding your way back to point A without a guide. Hope you can remember landmarks!
    • Multiple tile enemies! This doesn't have anything to do with the geometry of the game, it's just something roguelikes don't do very often, and they're really fun.

6. JakeAlmighty

JakeAlmighty Mushroom Warrior

a friend dragged me into The Elder Scrolls: Legends open beta.... luckily it's pretty fantastic!

7. rinco69

rinco69 Thaumaturge

Absolute Drift, Zen Edition. This game is not for the weak. Metacritic gives it a bad score. I give Metacritic a bad score. Drifting is self-control. Drifting is understanding.

Lord Feleran likes this.
  8. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Tried it for 15 minutes or so and proceed to uninstall it. I guess I'm weak or at least should get a gamepad. Not really a game for me.

Some recent game highlights for me:
    • Enjoying Duelyst quite a bit. Even though I've played MtG in the past, I didn't consider myself a PvP player. Guess it was just a matter of finding a right game for that. Here's a nice Youtube review about it: Cool Ghosts - Duelyst: The Best Game Ever
    • Found my inner farmer in Stardew Valley. Poured ~90 hours into it and probably going to start again once 1.1 update hits later this Fall.
    • Human Resource Machine is nice little puzzler for (wannabe) programmers. Still yet to be seen, if I have the patience or capacity to complete this.

Flaxative likes this.
  9. rinco69

rinco69 Thaumaturge

Gamepad is definitely required for Absolute Drift, Zen Edition.

I have also been trying the Duelyst. But it just doesn't seem anywhere near as good as Cardhunter. Meanwhile I still play Faeria every second day. And it just turned F2P!

No comment on Stardew and HRM. I will try them now. Thanks okay bye.

10. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

I almost nolifed Faeria for about 2 days after it turned f2p but... left it there. Bugs, unfinished, very frequent disconnections and even no way to communicate with players in game. Not even after the game. No way at all. None.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  11. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

Currently on my 4th play The Witcher 3. Only disc that has been in my PS4 since I obtained it in October 2015.

I may have a problem.

wereviper likes this.
  12. wereviper

wereviper Ogre

I've been playing some single player in Solforge and it's an ok game. Nice graphics but hard to beat campain and haven't tried multiplayer yet.

13. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Humble Bundle is currently handing out free keys for Duelyst. That was enough for me to install and try it, and eh, not my thing.

Performance was poor, can't play in a window, pixelated graphics for card illustrations and units that clash with the high-res cards and backgrounds, unnecessary animations (pixelated!), blank boards, etc. Duelyst is a little more tactical than Scrolls, but I think a bit less than Faeria. It's really hard to be impressed by a new CCG/TBS after playing Card Hunter.

14. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I'm quite partial to Duelyst when it runs smoothly (it's pretty performance intensive unfortunately). I know a couple of the designers - we hang out at the same game stores in Berkeley :)

15. Pawndawan

Yup. The current Humble Bundle offer is great for new players. If you still want a bit more head start for your account, you know what username to put in the referral box. ;)

Performance can be quite bad at times, the team are working on optimisation now that they got the first expansion out. For the time being, make sure the game client is using your dedicated graphic card (instead of integrated one), if you have that.

Can't play in a window? I don't understand this. Did you try it with Steam client, browser, or stand-alone client?

Mobile version is supposed to be out early next year, so that might be a reason for some to try (and stick with) Duelyst.

16. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Steam client. There didn't seem to be any option for windowed, though there was a "viewport" (I think it was called) that did things to the resolution, but none of the choices looked like a window. I did of course set all the graphics settings to "low". May try again with browser or stand alone.

I also checked the source directories, and it looks like I can't blame Unity for this one.

17. wereviper

wereviper Ogre

OK I uninstalled Sol forge because honestly to me it's not worth playing. I have to a favorite though that is absolutely keeping my attention. I downloaded and installed Neverwinter because I used to play the Neverwinter Nights series so I thought why not give this a go. Already created 2 characters that I like already :) Main one being my Drow Trickseter Rouge and my Half-Orc Great Weapon Fighter.

18. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I am two years behind on this thread. Half of the people I'd want to answer might never see my response.

I am not phased by shouting into the void.

I'm on my Humble library backlog, and just finished Grimrock 2 myself. That thing is massive and solved basically every problem that Grimrock 1 had. A success of an experience.

I read this post back when first posted. I've kept it in mind while playing the game. I agree on some points and disagree on others.

I like referencing the game design principles tossed about by Blizzard (not EA, I know, but some folks might compare them). They say that if some player ability seems overpowered during game development, they shouldn't weaken it: they should make everything feel equally overpowered. This is the experience of PvZ 2. Bother to raise plants in the garden? Get level-winning plant food. Use coins? Get level-winning power-ups. I can go days without seeing a level be defeated by pure peashooter power, or watch a gargantuar die to anything except nigh-instant-kill attacks. That's the game.

Is it fun? Well, one thing was fun: the ancient Egypt world. There's a reason for it: you mentioned "charm." This world has the inherent charm of Egypt (we all love it for some reason) and the one and only music track composed by the original composer. Everything else in the entire flippin' game is a stupid flippin' remix with stupid ugly flippin' instruments like kazoos. I'd almost rather turn it off.

So I'd say it's a game that could have been better, I'd still play (for free), but can easily turn people away.

I play it on an IBM 486.

After playing Papers, Please, I got a temp job checking passports for international travel. The only thing exaggerated is the rate of bad documents.

And new experiences: Closure, Hammerfight, Little Inferno, and, depending on your existing "experience," Sunless Sea. But really, if you haven't "experienced" a domain that has since been flooded with other similar games, I could give you Antichamber and it would be a stunner.

Keeps being mentioned here. I keep playing it. Almost finished.

It is not. However, go to the original Kickstarter page. You will see a banner at the top that you recognize, and, if you search for the word "Sega," will find that they have some referenced content.

Unfortunately, there's one thing that you won't see, and that was their original pitch video. They overwrote it. I used to hold it up as an example of how to do a good Kickstarter pitch.

melkor_unlimited and Pawndawan like this.
  19. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

"After playing Papers, Please, I got a temp job checking passports for international travel. The only thing exaggerated is the rate of bad documents."
    Wow :D :D
    I thought it had something to do about being in Soviet Union too :D

20. Pawndawan