Aloyzo's Arsenal Official SUBMISSION Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

This would be about level 15, as far as I can tell from eyeballing it? I think it would be a nice weapon, taking Double-Edged and trading some of its damage for more utility and ranged capability. The blind rage might make it too good, though, perhaps swap it out with Stab?

Macizo likes this.
  2. Macizo

Macizo Guild Leader

Now its like this.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

I think this looks good! It offers an alternative to Double-Edged with less damage, but with the advantage of having 6 range 2 attacks instead of 3. The extra Reaching Swing also looks good to me, as it is also not very well itemized along with Shifty Stab.

4. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

5. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

Blind Rage hasn't been seen too positively by Flax recently for AA submissions as far as I can tell, due to it being a low value cycler and a good buff. While it is weaker than the weapons you described, the main difference is that this weapon is 6 range 2 attacks, which I feel is quite powerful. Furthermore, the two Shifty Stabs provide strong movement as well when on this weapon, working well with the other attacks. With the addition of Blind Rage, it would be on a similar power level as Flashing Longspear or Double-Edged with more range, with only the drawback of some loss of penetration.

6. Macizo

Macizo Guild Leader

why not? i think it fits, no very powerful, i was thinking i 3 shifty stab, but not sure in that aspect.

7. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

I have no complaints about the new version, sorry if I was unclear.

Macizo and Inkfingers like this.
  8. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Thaumaturge

I think what Magic is saying is that Reaching Swing, along with Shifty Stab, are cards that could use better itemization, like your submission provides, and that this makes your submission stronger as a result.

Sir Veza, Krunail, Macizo and 2 others like this.
  9. I was thinking Scamper, Team! could use better itemization but already had another idea.

Macizo likes this.
  10. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Thaumaturge

Made me think of a fun joke helmet called "the helmet of nuts and bolts" - Scamper, Team!, Retreat, Officer Harness. Maybe make it shaped like an upside down acorn with a pair of bolts coming out of its sides?

11. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

I totally don't expect my submission to win, but couldn't help posting it. I'd had the funny idea of killing people with a buffed up Misguided Heal for so long!

Krunail, cycosurgeon and SceoMyntan like this.
  12. Where are all the Bad Medicine entries? :p Old School Rulesz!

13. Dieben

Dieben Lizardman Shopkeeper

I'm not sure whether I followed my own principles this time around, what with being sick and all.

In retrospect, I feel like I should have entered this.

14. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I'm glad you're feeling better.

Dieben and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  15. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

ACK! End of month already?!

/me begins scrambling through the submission thread to Like stuff -- and see if any of his ideas don't yet have real representation to y'know maybe actually post something. $8^ |

I really wanted to give more feedback to ppl who were asking for some. I'll say this much: 1. I like Macizo's Shifty Stab item's various incarnations and believe that Blind Rage would make it more viable and token-cost effective, but sadly perhaps just one notch too strong for Aloyzo's taste (and one cycle too strong for Jon's). 2. I liked most of the Green Striper Pole's versions when I didn't realize that was a typo (although I did wonder at the time if it could get a more flavorful name than "pole that stripes" / "pole used by one who stripes"); I hope that BM wouldn't give any item the intended name, but I don't know how far they'll go with coarseness and innuendo -- they unpleasantly surprise me now and then.

16. ztan

ztan War Monkey

I totally derped and forgot that I was meant to put in cards with bad itemisation xD

All Out Attack is poorly itemised... right guys? Right? :cool:

17. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

@Macizo: I think it's neat that you started without double-Reaching Swing and only added it after you got advice about Blind Rage -- because now the cards help the "crescent" flavor more. Also, I don't know if you intended this, but when I read "Crescent Spear" and see the Step cards placed first, my immediate thought is the "crescent step" in martial arts (or at least traditional Shotokan -- I haven't studied others). Pretty nice. $:^ ]

@Force.ofWill: I like the cards on "Football Helmet" but wonder if something with better CH flavor could be done. "Oozeball Helmet" sounds obvious, but the flavor of what the cards do doesn't really match. I like @Inkfingers' idea of playing off the squirrel illustrations. Frankly, some ridiculous images come to mind while typing this. "Black Forest Helm" (using the CH location, plus incidental pun on "black forest ham" for humor, although I envisioned the acorn illustration); some kind of "helmet" where the item icon is a boot turned upside down; a couple more, but anyway. $:^ P

Thanks, Deepweed, for all the commentary. Replies:
    I usually prefer not to have Burning Fingers. It's usable in a jam, but I'm guessing it's Savage Curse fodder more than anything outside first-timers finding items while they play Campaign. I just wanted to help brainstorm off this post on the previous page:
    (back to Deepweed)
    • Pearwood. Double major for only one copy of it. At least the rest of the hodge-podge cards have some synergy to them, but ugh, Fright for a round.
    • Sour. Double major for two copies of it. If the Acid Blasts were something else, it might feel like a double-major.
    • Looking at other staves, they're either double major for cards people complain about being underpowered (such as Penetrating Bolt), major+minor for self-hindrance (Smoke Bomb, Brain Burn, Unstable Bolt), or tokenless for two good cards and four bad.
    It's not absolutely unplayable. It just generally comes with bad / self-damaging cards for high cost. I know we don't all value items the same, but I just believe it'd be nice to have more than one staff with more than one Acid Jet on it at a reasonable cost not loaded up with so many weak cards. (I say more than one such staff because Whiterune does in fact exist, although I've heard about it being good and see its cards' abilities yet haven't actually played with one yet.)
    Yeah, I agree with that card being so powerful at such a little cost. (Did you see my entry to Ozyola's Oddments contest #1 (OP items)? DPurge, DPurge, Radiation Bolt, tokenless. Ridiculous.) I'd totally play your AA submission, but ... ~sigh~ ... major+minor for a Rad Bomb and three DPurges (not to mention the manageable Rad Sprays) and only Epic is just about surely too much for Aloyzo, and I'm inclined to agree. I'd predict a scary priest meta shift since it undercuts Cursed Radcannon's cost so much (in both gold and major tokens -- why, you could have Cataclysmic x2, Glowing Gland x2 for Rad Bomb x4, Rad Spray x6, DPurge x6, Rad Goo x2, and maybe add Yod's Purification Kit for another Rad Spray (total x7) on a single priest; stack a couple Arrogant Armors, and you're set). It'd be wild to see if Aloyzo gets adventurous, though. $;^ D lol
    Yep, I liked (and Liked) your item last year. $:^ }

Re: Long-Term's cost, you can still horde great cards from some low-cost items -- Parrying Buckler, Move cards, The Strongarm, trivial wizard fodder for Savage Curse, etc.

Re: Re: my suggestions -- I totally understand having two copies. How many matches go by never even seeing Quick Reactions or Resistant Hide? I just posted with concern about Aloyzo. People say they don't run FT because of itemization, but ppl do like the human Push cards. (If I run it, it's usually Thoughtful Command, the only FT item with a Push. The others are just ugh unless you maybe go support priest or control+terrain wizard for Wimpy cycling. If an item will only ever get one FT (at least from AA), then replacing Attack, Soldier! with a Push might push (heh) the item and card into the limelight more.)

I spent the most time in that post on FT because that's originally what I was going to do. However, Long-Term Planner is already submitted, and I've warmed up to Slowed, plus there was a lot more critical and constructive discussion about the Enchanted Mail ideas, (and there wasn't much EMail (lol) submission going on this month after all,) thus I believe I'll go for that instead. "Repurposed Guardian Husk" is a fun entry, and I'd probably try it out if it won -- and hey, only Common! $:^ ]

...and in the middle of it all, I began experimenting with Leap.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    E (majortoken) 20

Wow, I can't think of a name for once. $8^ ,
    "Coming Through!" is funny and might work, but that'd probably be better on something like Muscle Through x3, lol.
    Any ideas right quickly before the contest ends? $8^ ,

EDIT:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    E(majortoken) 21
    ...but I don't think those even have as much visual flair and fun as the first one with the dash.

EDIT2: Well, to make sure I don't run out of time, I'll post the first Leap idea under the first name that came to mind. If something better comes along, then okidoky; if not, so be it! $:^ J

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    Magic Elves likes this.
  18. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Done that in QD :)

seth arue likes this.
  19. Macizo

Macizo Guild Leader

Thanks

20. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

I just made a small modification to my item but now it seems a lot less OP. @ParodyKnaveBob got me thinking because it would be the only item with 4 direct radiation attacks, so I swapped out a Destructive Purge for a Radioactive Goo. Having half of the cards yield Irradiated terrain actually puts this item in a whole new light since it would be a way to optimize radiation. I'm not too sure if the item's too strong now, as I can no longer see it being used for buffed burst.

Inkfingers likes this.