Aloyzo's Arsenal Official SUBMISSION Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Nov 19, 2015.

1. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

You knew @Dieben likes turtles?

2. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

No, but I said that most of the stuff I expected and when I say most in this case I mean the idea that he is role-playing and not serious.

seth arue and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  3. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Yeah, if timeracers knew Dieben liked turtles, then he could've just said, "This is what I expected." $E^ D lol

Inkfingers likes this.
  4. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

I tried to make something like this. I think the only character you can have with blooming ground is Practiced Geomancer. The only character you can have with Laser Beacon and dual laser beacon is MP AI Wizard 3000. The only characters you can have with Radioactive Goo is MP AI Priest 3000. That is a problem as the last two characters are extremely powerful, so it is difficult to make a good level with them. So I gave up.

Here is what I made. It's not a fun level 'cause it's too easy. (Also not polished at all.)

Attached Files:

Dargenom likes this.
  5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Is this not extremely off-topic at this point?

3beaner likes this.
  6. Juxtapostion

Juxtapostion Hydra

For what its worth. I really like the contest. Maybe more people that like it should speak up.
    In fact the only reason some of the decisions made about AA made me upset is because I like it so much and I am emotionally invested in the competition. However I think @Flaxative has done a wonderful job facilitating a means for amateur design. And, as someone who aspires to one day design games professionally, the experience and feed back is invaluable.
    Also, its free, for fun. If you don't like it don't participate.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    3beaner, Krunail, Dieben and 21 others like this.
  7. Dieben

Dieben Lizardman Shopkeeper

"I may hate Aloyzo, but his Manchurian boss does a bang up job of keeping things running smoothly. I also gotta hand it to @Juxtapostion as I think he says it best when talking about 'emotional investiture', since pitchforks start sellin' like hotcakes whenever Aloyzo chooses a person to join his cult of winning designers. You folks have no frickin' idea how much it amuses me to see the uproar after a winner is selected. Especially when people start purchasing commemorative CONGRATULATIONS! window bricks. It's the happiest season of all!"

8. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Must remember to order one of those!

9. 3beaner

3beaner Guild Leader

Personally I'd say ignore the whinging and spend as much or little time on AA as you like. It always seems the vocal minority are the ones most unhappy while the vast silent majority probably are quite content w/ the status quo. And yes, you're right people do act quite entitled, especially considering it's a free game and you're volunteering your time.

I for one am thankful for your time and effort and still find the contest fun and interesting. I sometimes watch the videos, sometimes don't but I think it's a nice touch and would like to see them continue to be part of the AA experience. For the format of the video I enjoyed it most when it was a run-down of the top selects and some discussion on a few that didn't make the cut (and the reasons for it).

Sir Veza, Krunail, Dieben and 6 others like this.
  10. Aerendhil

Aerendhil Ogre

I really enjoy that contest.
    I don't agree with all of your choices, but, hey, that's life when dealing with other human beings :)
    I don't care much for the video, mostly because I'm not a native English speaker.
    But it's a fun event, one that keep the CH community alive.
    I hope AA will keep going on !

Krunail, timeracers, WexMajor and 2 others like this.
  11. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Guess discontent boils down to your view on this contests intent. Fun event while we are at it together, sure. But on top of that, me and others related it to the game and saw it as chance to fill in the gaps, support some cards with poor itemization. And it has gotten clear that we misunderstood. The results are not characterizing AA and the event stands apart from the game.

HisRoyalHygiene and WexMajor like this.
  12. Vholes

Vholes Thaumaturge

It seems that no matter how thoroughly this contest is explained, a vocal fraction of contestants will assume bad faith, get upset because they would run it differently, or take their failure to win as a personal slight. Congratulations, gamers, we've once again won the Academy Award in Reacting Churlishly to Free Entertainment.

Here's a new challenge for anyone unhappy with this one: read through each Aloyzo thread and pick the item you would have chosen for each one. Post your list in a new thread and see how many people agree with you. Forget trying to compete with Flaxative (who couldn't outdo that slimy pawn of the Manchu megacorp?); see if you can beat the community vote, where we couldn't even muster 30% agreement in a mere ten option list.

Sir Veza and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  13. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Its easy to spot unanimity in the "vocal fraction". Still takes a bit more effort though then to instrumentalize the silent party.
    Flax stated clearly item evaluation and selection is set, so everyone expressing discontent now has to come to terms with AA being what it is or continue to be unified in dissatisfaction after future installments.

14. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

I think, the major cause of unhappyness with AA is due to the criteria in the choosing.
    It's no shocking news, the best items from AA are those chosen by the players.
    I am not trying to tear down the contest, on the contrary; I would like to know those criteria, because up to now the chosen item seems to me on the weak side.
    (The contest is fun and I like it, I only want to understand)

15. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

@WexMajor, in every AA topic now, Flaxative answers the question (something like "why don't you ever pick the items I like?") with a link to a post that tells the thoroughly detailed reason for the contest. Learn -- and enjoy. $:^ ]

WexMajor, degensquared and Vholes like this.
  16. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Because I'm about to unveil the next contest, I'll be ducking out of this thread again for a while. Remember, general contest discussion belongs in the discussion thread. This thread is for specific item design. Cheers!

WexMajor likes this.
  17. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Picking up things that shouldnt have said in the other discussion thread -
    I wouldnt think laser block or ooze shove are off limits. Those cards dont deal damage by themselves.
    And thats exactly why they are off limits.

Having fun with bending the rules never had a happy end, so you better stay dry and literal when interpreting the restrictions.

seth arue likes this.
  18. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

Lucky Dice was faster with his design, so I feel the need to think something else :oops:

19. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

i was wondering what the Pathfinding lobby was up to.

Flaxative liking this post strongly suggests hes against ooze shove:

20. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

I can help you!

so that the item I want gets bigger chances to be picked... mwahahaha!