Aloyzo's Arsenal Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Thanks for the video and commentary @CT5 & @Flaxative!

Congratulations @degensquared for crafting the winning item! :)

Looking forward to craft pink items later this month.

2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

The name is definitely part of the item design, I thought that was obvious, sorry if not...

The bad idea here was using Garalem's name, since the name is associated with items around before the arrival of the spaceship, and all high tech stuff in Cardhuntria comes from the spaceship. So any Xander, Wym, Chartwell, St. Olf, etc., would be off-flavor for AA6. In general the name scheme you used is definitely good.

3. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

Again, good to know. I did not think the name was that important, based on this guideline:

Aloyzo does not guarantee that he will craft your item with the requested name.

That led me to believe that while a good name doesn't hurt, it shouldn't ultimately prevent something from being considered and/or win. I'm not saying my item should have been in consideration irrespective of the name; I just wasn't aware that it might sink it.

Again, good for others to know in future contests. I'll likely be bowing out from future contests, as it seems as if my philosophy relating to item creation is different from what the contest is about. It is what it is. No bad feelings, and good luck to the future participants.

Robauke, 40c_rudy and timeracers like this.
  4. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yeah, if a set of cards is sooo good that we want to print it but the name is bad, we can change the name. But that's gonna be pretty rare I think.

And I'm not saying your item name was the one thing that kept it from winning, either. I think there's a tendency to latch onto one comment and assume that this one consideration made or broke a submission but it's far more complicated than that. And every design's strength is relative the strength of other submissions, etc. etc...

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  5. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

True, but the video mentioned how disappointed you were with Weapon entries in general, so I'm interested in knowing if you felt my submission was OP too.

6. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I liked yours =)

(sigh, cue everyone asking about their item)

BlackVoidDeath likes this.
  7. Dargenom

Dargenom Orc Soldier

Another good AA, well done Flax and congrats to degensquared! I look forward to hunting down your item! :)

Flaxative likes this.
  8. degensquared

degensquared War Monkey

Thanks, folks! :D

Well aware that the item itself won't really impact the meta or see much competitive use, but for me these contests are more about creative theming within the constraints of the contest, corpus of cards, and game balance.

Cheers!

CT5, BlackVoidDeath, Sir Veza and 5 others like this.
  9. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Whoo, made it on the short list! I am quite happy with my design, so if another theme where it fits comes along I think I'll resubmit it, though I doubt that'll be anytime soon. I do wonder if we'll ever see a resubmission win the contest or if it hurts their odds to, I get the impression most submissions are each month are fresh.

And congratulations to degensquared for winning!

Sir Veza likes this.
  10. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

I wasn't trying to imply that was the only factor either. And, for the record, I never asked about my item; I was just trying to get clarification on the name thing.

Good luck to everyone in the future contests.

Flaxative likes this.
  11. Juxtapostion

Juxtapostion Hydra

I would gush about how much I loved the video but that might be a little self appreciative....
    Great job @degensquared !
    And THANK YOU @Flaxative !

ParodyKnaveBob and Flaxative like this.
  12. HisRoyalHygiene

HisRoyalHygiene Guild Leader

Riot.

(and congrats to Degen, cool item design)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  13. Aerendhil

Aerendhil Ogre

This.
    I understand Blue Manchu avoids a trend of power increase, but this item won't be used at all, not even in single player campaign.
    Also Gratz to the winner.

14. I must confess myself a wee bit disappointed that Flax mentioned Rocket Charge was a great card to build around because it's overcosted and rarely reaches its potential. This pretty much confirms that "unplayable in ranked" is an unspoken requirement. :/

Robauke and Lucky Dice like this.
  15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I don't follow your logic here, sorry. What do you mean?

16. Seems to me he's saying that the items which feature overcosted and inconsistent cards (i.e. unplayable/undesirable cards in high-level multiplayer play) will be the mostly likely to win the contest.

17. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I'll let him explain himself because that doesn't really follow from my comments in the video. :)

18. billiska

billiska Ogre

I think you misunderstood.
    He meant the card rocket charge itself is expensive (no low cost item of it exists). Hence, if there is a good, playable submission of rocket charge he will be inclined to pick it.

PS still, I don't think I'll find much use for the winning item this month.
    In contrast to scar of the hero which I think is pretty nice, I'm just waiting to have enough number to try out.

seth arue and Flaxative like this.
  19. degensquared

degensquared War Monkey

After watching the video my entry looks so similar to CT5's ... I do remember seeing his before I even came up with my concept but at the time mine seemed totally different and it never came to mind until they were put side by side here... I hope no hard feelings or anything, @CT5.

For what it's worth (probably not too much coming from me, now...) I'm pretty sure that it's been said that AA shouldn't be for creating a "best in-slot" item. Balance is super important and including an item that hasn't been play tested is risky. The game has a huge strategy space, and the closer you get to the "competitive" line, the more likely it is that the item may cause some imbalance. Therefore, being (rightfully) risk-adverse means tending to err on the side of unplayable rather than OP. It would really suck to have to take away or change someone's AA after they've won. I interpreted Flax's comment about building around Rocket Charge to mean that it closely matches the spirit/theme of the contest and given it's slightly overcosted and underplayed, making an awesome low-level item out of it is an interesting problem (which 3beaner did a great job of, IMO).

I want to thank you, Flax, for running these contests each month. It's something that isn't at all necessary but I think it's amazing that Card Hunter lets the players add their own flavour to the game.

Just my two cents :)

20. CT5

CT5 Guild Leader

@degensquared none at all! I think I said it in the video, but I like your item more than mine XD

ParodyKnaveBob and degensquared like this.