Caverns of Chaos

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Obernoob, Oct 13, 2015.

1. CT5

CT5 Guild Leader

Successful caverns run! Big thanks to @Han Lee! Floors 8 and 10 were highlights, with a few other close calls / fun plays prior.

2. Mama Mia

Mama Mia Hydra

LOL

GG.png

Happenstance and Sir Veza like this.
  3. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

The things you see when you don't have a punishing bolt ...

4. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

You can do better than that. :p

CT5 likes this.
  5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

A few updates to the Caverns of Chaos will be coming alongside AA5 and MM12 this month.

• Max Green Jellies in a group down to 2
    • Max Young Wyverns in a group down to 2
    • Adult Wyverns will only show up as solo 'lieutenants' in the throne room
    • Blizkenripper final boss replaced with Blizzy Jr.
    • Melvelous the Magnificent joins the final bosses
    • Xander has all 36 of his cards now
    • Almost every entropic character deck now has armor removal in it
    • Buffed some of the worse entropic character decks

No major system overhauls. I am pleased to say that Caverns of Chaos is fulfilling its role quite well so far. The above changes should make it a slightly more enjoyable experience.

6. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

:confused: Gotta say I really didn't see this one coming.
    I like it, though.

7. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

And I want to see what
    is all about ;)

8. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Those changes sound neat! I've not been playing CoC much recently, but these changes make me want to try to get my hands on that crown once more!

9. hello world

hello world Hydra

Were adult wyverns THAT scary? I always found the flying monkeys and these 90 hp armored behemoths named young wyvern scarier, I suppose that if the data shows the adults being so good I'm missing the right tactic to kill the flying monkeys(any suggestion?).
    Just curious.

10. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

I tend to lose against adult wyverns/young wyverns. Do better players tend to win against them?

11. hello world

hello world Hydra

I'm not a good player, I was just a bit surprised about wyverns getting the boot over trolls and flying monkeys and wondering about what I did wrong against these to fear them so much.

12. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Wizards got disproportionately buffed by my decklist changes, and melee units in general haven't been that scary based on the data I have, so I'm not worried about trolls.

seth arue likes this.
  13. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

It seems like the monsters in the caverns of chaos is supposed to get more difficult/numerous at higher levels. And it seems like the choice of map is completely random, maybe?

But some maps are clearly more difficult. Big maps are easier, maps with cover are easier, maps with player-only victory points are easier. So maybe when the players get a hard map, they should get easier enemies to compensate?

14. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

You cant class maps as hard - it depends on what characters you get, the cards you draw and what characters you face.
    You also cant calcify some monsters as hard and some easy because different characters are good vs different enemies (within reason - there is an obvious difference between a Troll Warrior and an Imp)

15. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Comming back on a short school break only to find this marvelous map. The only gripe i have is trolls some times being literally impossible to kill with the setup you get. Is this intentional, a side effect of the randomness or something being looked into? Either way i really love it thanks for staying awesome guys.

16. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

Yeah, it's totally random, including some weak parties, impossible maps and OP mobs, any of which can kill you. Especially on nodes 8-9. You'll bash your head against it for ages, and then get a run through the later nodes that's so easy you'll wonder why you died so many times. I think the first time I won it was against the Oak King and bombardiers, both drawing combustible early on, while I had a fire and lava mage.

17. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I got up to 7 on my first run after that i had trouble breaking 5 mostly due to trolls.

18. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

My first run I cruised through to 10 and wondered what all the fuss was about. Then a wild Blitzy appeared.

That dwarf frost wizard, holy schmoly, you've replaced her peashooter with a minigun that fires snowballs, only the snowballs all have hand grenades in them. Buff city.

ParodyKnaveBob and Sir Veza like this.
  19. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

What entropic characters are the best and the worst?

I think the 3 worst are:
    The jelly warrior for having few attacks.
    The caveman wizard for having low-damage attacks-
    The healer lady with the grey hair and the bones hanging from her belt. Few useful cards and also both Trip and Vulnreable.

20. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

Have to agree with those worst characters, although the caveman can be good vs weak and electrical ranged once he draws reliable + resistant. Had quite a few levels where it was just him mopping up the ranged mobs.

Candidates for best:

The vamp - as long as you can anticipate his loners, and not get surrounded while he draws two in a row, he's great.
    Dwarf warrior - his superstitious is a pain, but you can work around it. Other than that, he's tough and packed with heavy attacks and blocks, and his laser blocks have pulled my sizzling bacon out the pan a few times, especially when the attack they draw fails and draws laser spray or meltdown in turn.
    Dwarf rad vamp - slow af, but his rad sprays are incredible early on, when the mobs are bunched tight. Often he can get a mad dog or festering going on a weak enemy, and then it's game on.
    Dwarf freeze wiz - ice bolts, freeze, blizzard breath, rockfall, cones and bolts all day, what's not to like?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    Master Goo likes this.