How to Become a Better Player

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Bluemage, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Bumped in hopes that new players see this (and maybe older players could offer up more insight?)

2. Juxtapostion

Juxtapostion Hydra

Run as many Violent Spins as you can. If you don't believe me ask @SirSrsly

kustaa and Flaxative like this.
  3. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

Learn what the telltale signs of different decks are. If you're playing against a Blesscano deck, you're going to want to know as soon as possible.

Read the opponent's cards, so you can see what items they're using. This will give you a lot of advantage in knowing their decks.

Actually learn what all the cards do. Most of the older players know them by heart (even though they might not admit it to you).

ParodyKnaveBob and doog37 like this.
  4. MathuranF

MathuranF Lizardman Priest

So I linked this thread in the in-game chat and had this as a response, "thing is when i joined this game people like you instead of explaining things went the lazy route linking dated threads that wernt useful". Well my apologies in advance for bumping this super dated thread, that can't possibly help any of the newer players at all. (yes I realize sarcasm isn't very "becoming" of a person, but meh). I really don't see much of this information as dated, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Probably the only 'dated' advice on these forums is about Firestorm and Wall of Stone. The vast majority of useful advice in the history of the game is relevant to this day.

ParodyKnaveBob and CT5 like this.
  6. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

* Gazes sadly at 5 Twizel's Talismans. *

7. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Ba-da-bumped.

Christofff and seth arue like this.
  8. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Put yourself in the enemy's shoes. Look at what items their cards come from so you know what they might have in their deck. Then think "if I move here or do this what would I do if I was my opponent with possibly those cards."

9. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

It's been said a couple times, spectate games. I'll add some more details to this, though.

1. If you're completely unfamiliar with the maps -- a league you haven't played, a change in the ranked matches' rotation, etc. -- then watch a few games to get what's going on, where the hang-ups are, etc. For ranked, you might want to watch at least one game for each of the different boards.

2. Watch matches of opponents at about your rank to see what you'll likely be facing. Watch higher-ranking opponents to see what they do better. Watch lower-ranking opponents to test yourself, catching the mistakes they make that you've learned already. You can test yourself like that at all ranks, but the general trend of learning is that you'll be just a few steps ahead of those who are just a few steps behind, right? heheh In particular, testing yourself (at any rank), see how often you can predict exactly what the contestants will play at each other.

3. Sometimes, you might find it useful to watch a single player across multiple battles. See how that particular player changes style (or not) when facing different opponent parties on different maps. Notice how adaptable or not the player is. See how much this player wins-or-not while being adaptable-or-not. (Depending on context and all, this can also increase community-ness and fun! Just don't try talking to the players too much -- or at all in some cases. Again, context. Case-by-case. Etc.)

I believe that's it. This thread helped me tremendously when I found it many moons ago. I'm glad to come to understand that I actually have something to contribute to it these days. $E^ )

Sir Veza and Stexe like this.
  10. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Studying specific board layout should be an afterthought to the more substantial, global advice posted here.

And making your own experiences are preferable to standing at the sidelines, specating games wont give you the whole picture... you can only draw conclusions in retrospective once all cards are played, the key cards to understanding the round often appear last...

Also stalking players you set eyes on and questioning them to turn their matches into your lesson is frowned upon, you should approach them inbetween matches and ask at least once about it. We share the PvP experience, its not your personal playground for you to shape to your liking. Some etiquette towards other peoples games and their preferences is in order or community will take harm, as demonstrated by some indi^Iduals that impose their personal notions upon all of us.

Sir Veza likes this.
  11. snickersimba

snickersimba Goblin Champion

don't act like me. I am a horrible person who bothers other players constantly asking them to play a little bit faster after four minutes of inactivity, as I do not have as much free time as I like, I also tend to complain about horrible luck in drops and refuse to take sound advice like not buying chests and not selling my second bejeweled shortsword. Ironically, my winrate shot up after I did the last one

12. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

Hasn't been mentioned yet- some real life advice for being better.

Take regular breaks. I force myself to take a five minute break, after every two games, without fail. Go outside, get some fresh air, clear your head and focus in something ither than cardhunter for that five minutes.

Then return with a cup of tea and biscuit in hand ;)

Stay hydrated. I like drink a big glass of water every morning first thing. Get regular healthy sleep for a minimum of 7 hours.

Have another hobby besides cardhunter. Join a dance class. Volunteer. Bush walk. Play Basketball. Take judo lessons. If you are shy, there are even groups for shy people. Soend time with family they are your family!! Send nice cards to your grandparents for Xmas it will make their day!!

If your health is poor, besides a Dr try alternative therapies too. Acupuncture, yoga, tai chi, maassage, self1acupressure. Even simply daily gentle, deep breathing can work wonders.

And working further back, if you are depressed or get anxiety easily, avail yourself of counselling and support groups - nothing with it.

Being a healthy, social and emotionally balanced person will enrich your CH games!

13. Stexe

Bouncing off of "real life advice" I'll mention that if you lose 2 or 3 games in a row, stop playing. You'll be aggravated and want to get a win that you'll often over look things. Take a break and come back at another time. This advice really helped me when I was grinding wins for the spring season.

14. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

$:^ |

I really don't want to have to bother with this, but there's an issue that (once again) is getting dragged back out into the public, thus it seems it needs (once again) public addressing. I'm really to the point of feeling repeatedly unnecessarily harassed.

Hey. Rob. Like I said in World Chat: Stop.

I don't have a problem with someone disagreeing with me -- facts can be contended, and opinions don't even really matter -- but it's just sad for you to add snide off-topic comments to this thread -- thinly veiled as general constructive criticism -- to point-by-point indirectly disparage the help I offer. Again, just come out and say what your real problem is. I'll directly address one of your concerns in particular, whether or not you're actually concerned:

Reviewing the parallel of our posts, you're responding to my suggestion #3:

Stalking -- following someone with aggression, harrassment, and/or intention to do harm -- is certainly bad and often illegal. On the other hand, studying someone's game-playing is common game-playing practice; just research what chess players, sports players, tournament video game players, etc. say about how they learn -- nevermind that Card Hunter players in this very thread have stated they've learned from watching others play; clearly, watching is not playing, but that's not the ridiculous thing here. Comparing stalking to using the built-in system to spectate games is part of what's ridiculous here.

Another part is saying that "questioning" a player you watch "is frowned upon" (by whom?) -- then in the same sentence declaring "you should approach them inbetween matches and ask at least once" (emp. mine). (Notice the contradiction there?) Anything to pooh-pooh what I say, as demonstrated by the next couple sentences taking a detour by *once again* sounding exactly like every-other-time you've described the incident in which you began your public disdain for me. (You apparently didn't even notice my defending your cause against spectators talking to players during matches -- that whereas some players are up for a little mid-battle chat, some really want total focus. ~sigh~)

The final part that's really ridiculous here is that you'd point at a suggestion to watch matches with a mindset for particular goals of learning, and you'd call that stalking -- yet...
    1. shortly after the original public incident between us, you began "Following" my Card Hunter forum activity (using the forum's built-in "Follow" feature);
    2. and you commented off-hand pooh-poohing anyone's attempt to help the game community's rule and order as being .. what was it, a "self-appointed sheriff"? (perhaps Jon should just prevent that by removing the reporting system, hm?);
    3. and you at-some-point created a pretty constructive thread (iirc) yet added some absolutely unrelated poll (the confusion about which, multiple posters even replied,) with you asking the playerbase if they were tired/sick/whatever of .. what was it, "some people's over eager use of emoticons"? .. with the only two poll options being a happy version of my own invented smily and an unhappy slight variant. Like. Seriously. That's weird-in-a-bad-way and immature.
    Unfortunately, sir, this causes you by definition to be quite the hypocrite. I'm wary of saying that you're utterly stalking, but .. wow .. you're a whole lot closer to it than some game-player learning more by spectating another player's few games in a row, and depending on context etc., also discussing some.

So, that addressed, back to your real issue. I repeat. Please. Just stop. $:^ `

I'd rather not block you on the forum (assuming that's even a feature) like I felt necessary for peace of mind in World Chat.

As for the topic of the actual thread, my overall suggestion stands. Watching others generally and for fun can be informative (and fun!), but you can also spectate with various specific goals in mind in order to help you to see, to grasp, to learn things you might otherwise miss when you're concentrating on the heat of your own battles.

Macizo likes this.
  15. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

yeah i haven't read any of that, bob. Don't knot your fingers writing essays. Play a match.

I scanned quickly through the thead to see if this has already been said, but this realization should be part of your mindset at all times:
    A game is won once you earned six stars. Not when you got five or less, not even when you are five ahead. Six. Dont let your mind wander elsewhere, a game isn't won til it is won.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    CT5 likes this.
  16. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Or, you know, it can end early if your opponent gives up, which at a 0 to 5, would be a good idea. My point: don't be afraid to quit, when it's apparent you are going to lose. Better to try again than drag out a defeat.

17. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

I was down 0-5 earlier today, 1 v 3, and was one nimbus away from a victory.

I suggest never giving up.

FrigusMacto, ParodyKnaveBob and CT5 like this.
  18. Stexe

Never give up, never surrender.

I've won 0-5 games where I lost the VP first round and had 2 of my 3 characters die on the first and second round. Just managed to lock down the VP spot, survive, and kill one of the enemy characters.

19. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

Sometimes, a surprise factor can change the game. It's something that can turn the game around because it HAPPENS. Cards that provide that surprise are, for example, Duck, Anvil Strike, Rocket Charge... Things that do more than one thing on the uncommon chance the stars align just the right way for ya.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  20. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

Or a Punishing Bolt for 14 damage. Those help as well.

ParodyKnaveBob and FrigusMacto like this.