Cursed Radcannon

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Obernoob, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

Me too. Billiska does not have any control cards, but instead he uses Hand of Malvelous and Talented Healer to finishes people, which come to close to him. I think a good control wizard on the side of two priest with two radcannon should work even better. At least in theory.

2. billiska

billiska Ogre

Hey that sounds like a pretty good idea. So try to not to melee at all. I'll try that out.

I guess the reason I went for some Hand of Malvelous from the very beginning was because I wanted to make use of blind rage on the rad cannon.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  3. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

Which may be a good reason as long as you see more melees than wizards. Depends on the meta, right?

4. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

My hate against radcannon growed into the immeasurable. I think it definitly is way better than Searing Pain. My opponent put two Unholy Energy on different priest in the first turn and then the following turns the Savage Curse Madness started. Guess the first unlucky part was this map, which is by far the largest and most open map of all. It is more than hard to reach the opposing characters and the opponent was able to set up perfect Inspiring Presences. But holy cow is Skull of Savage Iljin a crazy combo with Cursed Radcannon. My opponent drew and drew and drew and cursed and totally destroyed me before i even had a chance to do something. Of course a Trip was the first handicap my warrior got. The second a vulnerable. Sure. And the first attached to the second warrior? Of course a Superstitious... It is the same feeling like I had when getting whirl winded back in the days. You are sitting there and hope for a Mind Leak, Festering Guts, Blind Rage, ....
    LuckyCannon.png

5. realm151

realm151 War Monkey

not necessarily disagreeing, but appears that the superstitious was attached via radioactive terrain? come to think of it, seems like a pretty good map for radioactive terrain.

6. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

Oh right, forgot about that. :) The radioactive was pretty good and the Auric Charms worked well together with that and the Radcannons. Guess I have to think about a strategy against that. But without the purges beeing fixed I dont think there is a good way to play around the Radcannons. It is more like praying for good handicaps and finishing the priest as soon as possible.

7. Jezterscap

Jezterscap Lizardman Priest

This would also make enemy parries dead cards , which is huge.

8. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

Ha. Ha. Ha. Hahahaha-no, it's not funny. It's just broken. I'm thankful billiska didn't decide to stick with it and just dominate forever with it. But at least we know it's at least for 1800+, and action can be taken if it proves to be too dominating.

9. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

i am averse anything that is repetitive, even when you can adjust to it. In general, burst 2 damage becoming available beyond a critical amount really shouldnt have happened. The handicap lottery is just icing on the cake. But i agree, the receiving end has too little options atm to deal with it.
    #Purgegate

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    Jacques likes this.
  10. Han Lee

Han Lee Guild Leader

Yeah, I wish radbomb effects could be purged. Currently the damage may be counterable with a balanced build with armor and heals, but the traits are much, much harder to counter.

11. snickersimba

snickersimba Goblin Champion

The funny thing is, Rad bomb and other radiation effects are only good when paired together, meaning cursed radcannon and the console that has two more rad bombs are only overpowered because of the radbombs being stacked. The solution is simple:reduce the number of rad bombs attached to each and they will become much more balanced.

12. Wildarm

Wildarm Ogre

I can confirm that radcannon burst was somewhat underwhelming during ETTSC playtesting. Possibly the meta is different in the real game vs playtesting. I haven't played any PvP except leagues in months though so I don't know.

In playtesting you see heavy focus on new mechanics and not so much on older standards. Force Field, crazy buffed spreading laser one shot kills, and accelerate time dominated when I was testing. All of those got nerfed a bit in one way or another but radcannon did not. So maybe it's more viable now? The idea that your priests can buff and burst is the main appeal. No need for a mixed team anymore. You lose out of 4 damage compared to fireball, but you add a bad trait and more consistency on your team. Burst teams always struggle when the priest fails to draw his needed buffs

13. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

The consistency of the Cursed Radcannon is part of the problem, ofc. And that it is high synergistic in itself and with some other already good items. Another thing is it forces the opponent to do something and therefore you can be the reactive player, which wins more often then being the proactive player. And with the handicaps it has a sweet sweet upside.

14. snickersimba

snickersimba Goblin Champion

Well, I would be totally down to help test, but I have to wait until monday or see if I can use the library computer. Currently looking over items and trying to put a list together of items I want to buy, hope the testing goes well! You are all wonderful people. Oh also, it really bugs me that people say radcannon and theres like eight different radcannons, theres kreev,cursed and blessed

15. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

I don't see the problem, since there's only one worth talking about. (The cursed, if you didn't know somehow)

16. realm151

realm151 War Monkey

wait what but isn't the... the title... of the thread...

17. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

He is back again. :eek:

18. billiska

billiska Ogre

I have been playing less frequent + was trying 2 wiz 1 war so I didn't get the chance to verify if radvamp works on the current rotation or not.

19. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

Faced a team with 2 wiz + 1 radcannon/iljin priest earlier. It's definitely broken. The mere idea that you can get your priest to throw such a huge attack is just off. You shouldn't be able to throw a Burst 2 attack on a priest EVER, in my opinion. That strong suit should be available on wizards only. The handicaps are just an aside. The Unholy Energy you get from Cursed Radcannon really helps the build too, since your "cannons" just want attacks.

There's just no counterplay to it if you're playing wizards. You can't really kill them first if you need direct LoS and they need tangential LoS to fire. Spamming Illusory Barriers may work for some time, but in the long run you're just losing out on damage.

Radcannon just maximizes the number of Burst 2 cards you can get on previously-loathed teams. Say you're using 2 wiz + 1 priest, the total number of Burst 2 attacks is upped to a whopping 18. If you switch to 2 priest + 1 wiz, you can get the same 18 Burst 2 attacks with more reliable buffing (though 3x Skull Of Savage Iljin is usually enough).

Burst 2 should never exist in MP, I believe. It takes zero skill to hit a Burst 2 spell. Maneuvers can be countered by purge, but you can't purge off an opponent's attack! Burst 1 actually requires a decent amount of skill to fire properly, but with Burst 2 you can hit every spot in every map with ridiculous ease. I dare say Radiation Bomb would be fine if it was just Burst 1, or if it remained Burst 2 but without damage. It costs only 8 card points, if no one noticed, to Fireball's 10. As for Fireball, maybe a MP-specific card could be changed to make it, say, a higher damage Burst 1 card with higher range? Or maybe it could be Burst 1 and its Burning effect can linger and people would focus on actually playing fire wizards for Burning. Something like Burst 1, Range 8, Damage 4, Burning 2, Duration 2.

Jacques, Robauke and 40c_rudy like this.
  20. 40c_rudy

40c_rudy Lizardman Priest

Any combination of wizards and rad priests is the worst thing i have seen in this game (i wasn't playing during beta). These kind of builds suck the fun out of the game imo and they have made me despise all burst spells.

P.S. I am talking strictly about multiplayer, since i use bursts in campaign all the time ;)