Between the bash and the wet place.

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Lucky Dice, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

So... I've been trying something for quite a few days. With mixed results, mostly disappointing, but... I still believe in an idea. I just need help with it, because I'm not smart.

Skazwan
    Level 13 Dwarf Warrior

Kazadwan
    Level 1 Dwarf Warrior

Winjerrton
    Level 21 Human Wizard

As you can probably guess, this is a deck about bashing... continuously. YOU get to control where will your target end up being. With walls of water, you prevent anybody from moving out of your bashes.

The strongest matchups are decks where somebody rushes for VP. The weakest are any wizards tbh.

That's a basic idea. I just don't have as many tools as I wish I had (I'm talking about you, Laser Scourge). Boxton is the newest addition which seems to fit in just the right way.

Yeah. And that's about it I guess. I can buy Bloome's Barging Boots from Randi, so there's that other option I have.

CT5, Jezterscap and Flaxative like this.
  2. Jezterscap

Jezterscap Lizardman Priest

3. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

I tried I think nearly everything you mentioned, including Opaline Hammer. I think I might give it a go again.

Right now it looks like this:

Skazwan
    Level 13 Dwarf Warrior

Kazadwan
    Level 1 Dwarf Warrior

Winjerrton
    Level 21 Human Wizard

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    Jezterscap likes this.
  4. Jezterscap

Jezterscap Lizardman Priest

I love the bashing of enemies with path of knives attached :)

5. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

Yeah... Path of knives here is more to prevent somebody from moving, and then going in for the kill.

Also, just found a new counter to my build - Disorienting Block.

6. As someone who has run Bash teams interchangeably once in a while since closed beta, I can confirm that pure bashing does not often nets you kills, not on its own, at least, especially since Crusher is now a more casual option for pseudo-frenzy effects that warriors can benefit without the help of priests

Bashes do very subpar damage on average, except Powerful Bash which deals competent damage but isn´t on too many good warrior items. Stacking Bash improves it but since it deals 5 damage, that´s a long way to go for a silver card. The bonus of bashing is the Slide Back effect, as it forces enemies either out of position or out of range of something. Without the Slide Back (AKA, when you are pressing your opponent against a wall/a flash flood) Bashes don´t really hit for much damage at all compared to vanilla Mighty attacks or even utillity attacks such as Unnerving Strike or Sundering Strike (The only exception being the best bash card: Lunging Bash, which deals competent damage, specially with Bruiser, all while zoning your opponent out).

Bashes have a handful of uses, but pure bash items are often anti synergistic. Take the best example out there: Heavyweight Mace. This has 4 bashes, 2 of which are the best of their class, and it has a Blind Rage to boot, but if you only had cards of this item, unless you´ve got your enemy pinned, you will be able to hit them once with it. Not to mention that if your opponent knows you can Bash him (and when Bash is involved, they WILL know) they´ll either play around it or only walk in when they have blocks handy. This is why items that have few bashes (Warrior´s Mace) or have flexible bashes (Eixocl´s Hammer) are the best when it comes to bashing. Bashes are best when your opponent doesn´t expects them or can´t play around them

Wizards can really compound the effectiveness of bashing. Cold effects heavily increase the positioning damage a single bash does and Smoke is a Basher´s best ally: Step attacks are still a chore but they do less damage than Bashes (on average) and risk running into Pushback Parry, so your opponents offensive options are heavily limited. You can see the pattern that Bash is mostly a defensive card, and it is best where it can be exploited as such, such as in maps where there are few victory squares or where the victory squares are adjacent; you´ll trade them card for card but you´ll be the one dealing actual damage. Trying to re-rig it as an catch-all, freeform offensive implement is, for the most part, a moot excercise

Except Lunging Bash because, seriously, there is never a time where I feel bad having Lunging Bash in my hand, there is almost no problem in the game you can´t Lunge at and Bash away with less-than-efficient results

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.