Expedition to the Sky Citadel experiences

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by Jarmo, Jul 16, 2015.

1. CT5

CT5 Guild Leader

First playthrough on live server was co-op with @Flaxative. It was super fun! I was the braindead elf warrior, while Flax played a fun human priest with some radiation funsies. There were a lot of funny moments with the radiation terrain. Still very manageable with just two people.

I also recently played through the adventures using the starting party, without changing any items. Did it once on test, figured I could do it again =P
    Here's the first module!

2. Accent

Accent Hydra

Just checked -- no Arcane Curse items in the expansion. No Traveling Curse , either (booooo)

3. CT5

CT5 Guild Leader

The rest of the adventures:

Passageways to Death:

Perilous Garden:

Belly of the Beast:

Throne of the Mechanical Men:

Sanctum of the Cyber Tyrant:

MathuranF, Pawndawan and Flaxative like this.
  4. Jim

Jim Mushroom Warrior

Working my way through them slowly, as I've really got to be in the mood for radiation chaos :)

Just done Belly of the Beast and the mechanic in the second part of actually having to hold the Victory Point to win is great.
    Oddly, I was just thinking the other day that it would be a cool thing to do. Guess my brain had taken a sneak peak into the future.

5. Karstedt

Karstedt Goblin Champion

A few of the 1 HP quests were nightmares. Radiation bursts = suckage. I probably used over 300 lifesaving blocks.

6. progammer

progammer Ogre

Putting in my 2 cents for the expansion: The first run through is quite fun. Learning new enemies, new card, new tricks. Loosing a few time, winning a few other times.

But once I found that 2x Force Field helmet for all of my dwarfs, I started stacking Toughness and the entire expansion becomes a cakewalk (for repeated farming). I guess it's normal when you're farming it, you are expected to find a strategy that trivialize the contents. But that helmet (Bubble Helmet) might have been too common.

Not that it makes 1HP quest any easier though, and that's a good thing.

7. Jim

Jim Mushroom Warrior

Completed the normal Citadel levels last night, lure of the Loot Fairy, and on the whole I liked them.

Buuuuttttt, the last level was a little disappointing. Breezed through it with no issues. Where as the penultimate level was a total bastard to get through :( The first bit, the brain & 2 turrets kicked my arse over & over again.
    Was expecting the finale to be a real challenge and it just felt a bit weak.

8. progammer

progammer Ogre

It's true. That module seems like a 3v3 most of the time. That 2nd level while not a 3v3 still has too much friendly fire it becomes easy. And 3v3 that tries to simulate MP turns out to be very easy. (Prime example: Cardstock II). Most of the fun in the campaign is being overwhelmed, have the odds stacked against you and still manage to pull it out somehow.

So ya it would be fun if the final level of the final module is even more unfair than Cardotron 2000 in MP

Drakkan likes this.
  9. Shoe

Shoe Mushroom Warrior

I've been playing the throne of the mechanical men act 3 over and over and spent like 150 gold on replays. only on the most recent time have I even been able to score one single star...my only lvl 21 guys are all dwarves, am i just screwed because dwarves are slow?

10. Wocket

Wocket Orc Soldier

It'll be a tad tougher. If any of them are wizards, use volcano. If possible, grab Auto block, cantrip moves, violent spin, nimbus, and/or entagling roots. I suspect Duck might be of use, but I've never tried it. Best of luck, and if you ask in co-op, you can probably find someone to run with. I personally love that module.

11. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I've run that one with a dwarf 1-1-1, but it tends to be slower and more draw dependent. Moves and step attacks on your warrior will help a lot. Once you take one bot down and stand a character on the diagonal VP, you can usually take your time.
    As Wocket said, volcano can work, but I'm kind of leery of making the bots migratory when I'm running walking dwarves. Much depends upon one's style of play.

12. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Burst spells, nimbus, and every move card you can get. Terrain spells can be good too since they only get the one walk each round.

13. I did a No Death co-op run of all 5 of these dungeons the other day. I ran an adaptable cat warrior. Mainly because if you play a cat warrior, you automatically win if you lose. Got the adaptable armour in those special league chests when it came out, coupled it with 2 forcefield items, The Strongarm, Laser Pike etc

Perilous Garden. Oh man, was tough, wizard didn't have many burst items. Map 2 was very difficult for us and I'm starting to wish I had to led them instead of the other guy. He kept hitting a Retaliatory Mutation buffed Cunning Mutant despite pleas not to engage. I cried real tears. I was amazed at how easy the last dungeon was, felt a bit let down. Just charged in and smashed them one by one while stealing the effects of their healing beacon.

The highlight was me getting Retaliatory Mutation on the spider level (The one with the solo laser turret) It lasted one turn only, I just stood in front of the turret, took all the laser blasts then killed them all in one shot thanks to damage buffs and the turret's own Laser Barrages. I felt so mighty.

Got a few epics, no legendaries at loot. 3 Nova Axes.

Sir Veza and Flaxative like this.
  14. Fry

Fry Ogre

The key to the last battle of Throne of the Mechanical Men (the Quick Draw round) is movement. Lots and lots of movement. It's not terribly important what the value of the movement cards are (although Sprint and Dash are obviously better than Shuffle and Walk), it's how many of those cards you can get. The power of your attacks is almost irrelevant. Move your characters into positions where the robots will have to shoot at each other in order to attack one of your characters, that's where the real damage comes from. At 40 HP each, that's two friendly-fire shots and a couple random paper/bronze attacks you happened to pick up. Make sure you don't position yourself where a robot can shoot two of your characters! Security Robots are extremely predictable - their deck literally contains only Charge Up, they will never surprise you with hidden movement cards. You can also use cards like Telekinesis or Gusts/Winds of War to make the robots shoot at each other if you're clever.

FinalCheetah likes this.
  15. Yup. And Charge Up produces Charged Laser Barrage which is a mandatory action; after charging it MUST fire in whatever direction it's facing its next action. It cannot hold fire if you're no longer in the targeted cone for whatever reason. You can move out of the way, or use any card with a push effect to face the charged-up robot towards the other, or slide it for the same purpose.

16. You can also try getting them stuck in a control loop, with stuff like telekinesis, winds of war. Take a draw handicap. Keep teleporting/pushing them behind the walls. They only move 2 so you'll only need 1 control card for each of them.