Do Crude Plates need a bit of a nerf?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by imMara, Feb 3, 2013.

1. imMara

imMara Mushroom Warrior

I think Crude Plates need a bit of a nerf. Specially the ones on the Trog Gougers.

Armor 4
    . Bit high dont you think? Specially since most of the time they carry more than one.

If this armor prevents damage move back one space. Perfect, now not only did you defend my attack, you force me to waste another turn by having to chase you.

This is the part that I personally think make the card OP.

Keep, and a requirement of only a 3+ roll to trigger.

2. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Well it doesn't block from behind that is what makes it balanced and if you fought trogs enough you would know that move back is generally a big penalty towards them making them much easier to catch out of moves if you play it correctly.

TLDR The armor is a bit hefty but tactics beats it

3. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Or, to put it another way: think back to fighting those Clumsy Golems who can't hurt you from behind. Or think about any situation whatsoever where you're trying to avoid triggering someone's Block cards (one of the tutorial levels should cover that). Stab 'em from behind, as Wozarg says.

Or use Penetrating Attacks, period.

Or get lucky in your loot items and laugh at them like I do.

4. Zane

Zane Mushroom Warrior

Wozarg, how is the move back a big penalty? The only enemies i've seen wearing it *want* to be 1 square away from you, as they fight with a reach weapon.

5. Gabbek

Gabbek Orc Soldier

You can simply mess with them due to the armor they're wearing, if you can't discard it - make sure you can stay out of range until you can get behind them :) wizard with any sparks spells is really effective at moving them back.

6. Zane

Zane Mushroom Warrior

Yes but then your basically just turning your shocks into a potential force bolt, and sometimes unless you have a free move or a teleport getting behind them isn't even possible.

7. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

The thing is they don't move in to melee range with you they actually stay at range 2 so if you push them they are range 3 they move in to be in range 2 then you can move away or move in so they can't kite you take your pick.

8. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Heh, I just realized I had interpreted the 'penetrating' keyword all wrong :D

The wording in the game is "Ignore armor when applying damage unless that armor prevents all damage"

How I understood it was that 3 damage Penetrating attack would not ignore armor if the target had an Armor 3 card but would work against a Armor 2 card - as the Armor 3 would be normally strong enough to possibly prevent all 3 damage the attack could make.

Which would have made all the cards with Penetrating Cut useless against Crude Plates :rolleyes:

9. Zane

Zane Mushroom Warrior

well unless you can burn away all of their movement cards so they can't turn to face you you'll sill have that problem. I'm not suggesting that the armor is OP and I understand the disadvantage of not protecting the rear, I just don't think that the jump back is one as well, considering some armor cards literally do nothing but what this card is proposing to be its draw back.

10. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Read my posts again where i explain why this is a drawback. Then again if you don't want to bother just use penetrating attacks and armor discards and it won't be a issue.

11. imMara

imMara Mushroom Warrior

True that, but that's not what I mostly find OP, what I find OP is the 3+ roll on a (4) Armor, that to top it is a keep card.

12. tangmcgame

tangmcgame Mushroom Warrior

It seems, though, that oftentimes maps beat tactics. The armor is manageable when your draws can support it, I'll give you that. But you've only got a few rounds before they curbstomp your whole party, so here's hoping the good draws come early and often.

Kaerius likes this.
  13. Zane

Zane Mushroom Warrior

Ok Wozorg, say you push them away until they run out of move cards. Then you run in, behind them, they attack you and turn towards you. If you have the movement, you run behind again, and repeat, until either they don't have attacks or you don't have moves. If you're behind them, you get a free attack, and they turn towards you. Now their facing you, if you attack again, they get pushed away, and you've just used all your moves staying behind them. Now of course all this is nullified by a piercing weapon, and reduced by a reach, we all know that, but thats not the point. The point is, getting pushed back one is not a penalty unless the wearer is either slow or has no reach.

Kaerius likes this.
  14. Dorque

Dorque Orc Soldier

There is a map with a two-wide bridge and two of the jerks. I actually had to push them all the way to the other side and then get behind them to kill them. That's a lot of pushing.

I'm going to meekly re-raise my suggestion that armor reduce damage to a minimum of 1 and only blocks can reduce it to 0. Makes more sense thematically, gets rid of crude plate cheese, gets rid of golem-doesn't-always-draw-clumsy-thanks golem cheese, gets rid of resistant armor cheese for both sides, and gets rid of only bones and no vitals and blobby body lameness.

15. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

You don't use dissolve armor? Starting to use that, I won't go back.

16. GiftsUngiven

GiftsUngiven Kobold

You could have also stepped to either side of the entrance and lured them in close. Far less pushing and much easier to trap them between two guys!

17. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Well more logically you would run them out of moves and then position one guy on each side so even if they turn to attack one you just ping pong them back and forth since they face the last attacker each time and they can only attack once a turn. Don't get me wrong the first time i fought them i was also like holy hell this just cant be done. Then i came back with the correct equipment and played smarter and i managed it without much problems. Like some people have said if armor is such a problem make them discard it they only have i think 3 in their entire deck so it cant be that hard to get rid of it.

18. Dorque

Dorque Orc Soldier

Yeah, this was a while ago. Now I have three lovely Wall of Fire, Wall of Fire, Dissolve Armor amulets and one with Perplexing Ray. Got tired of playing Gary's game. You hear that Gary? That's the sound of my foot on your dungeon door!

Pengw1n likes this.
  19. eyci

eyci Kobold

Isn't that what penetrating actually means? If not, then what does it mean?

20. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

There are a lot more discard cards in the game than some people give credit for. Enemy Armor cards are worthless higher level because of this.