Aloyzo's Arsenal Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

My perspective:
    If you're going to make rules, enforce them.
    If you're not going to enforce them, don't bother making rules.
    I think you'd be happier with fewer rules, but, once again, I could be wrong.
    (I'm tempted to give a big ANARCHISTS UNITE! cheer at this point, but that really isn't the sort of thing we do.)

Fry and Stexe like this.
  2. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Or just change "rules" to "guidelines" and put a disclaimer saying "you may bend these guidelines as much as you want, but note that it greatly reduces the odds of you winning."

Although seeing that Card Hunter meme item with 6 unique cards would be amazing.

Sir Veza likes this.
  3. Rohndil

Rohndil Hydra

This is STILL about that staff? You're gonna turn Flaxative into a Grumpy, Grumpy Flax.

Boring, let us talk about community voting. Honestly I don't think it will add dept or something to AA, it will provide some more fun and commentary, but that's it (though somewhere I read that fun was supposed to be the point of AA). We're probably just gonna see the most powerful item avalaible win each month. While I agree that killer74's Storge's Proboscis was nicely themed, it got twice the votes of second place. I'm not sure design had something to do with the results.
    Oh well, I guess you have to throw a bone to power gamers among all those muscular boots.

4. Don't blame me; I voted for funny. (Punf's Trained Panicking, specifically.)

5. Rohndil

Rohndil Hydra

Oh no, don't involve me in a blame war please. Those were just my two cents, no one has to justify his vote.

6. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

I dont know what you guys are talking about, Happenstance's item is clearly the best!

Sentient_Toaster likes this.
  7. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Nope. You missed a bit. It's about the rules, or guidelines that look like rules. No discussion, etc.

Stexe likes this.
  8. Juxtapostion

Juxtapostion Hydra

Dare I google this?
    Is it sad that I don't auto recognize it?
    "So Not A ..."
    Am I close?
    Cause despite being angry at first, last months results were not that bad. And Flax handled the clean up admirably!
    So can we all just except the ground work he has laid out for a FREE, FUN, FOR THE PLAYERS contest or just stop participating?

P.s.-
    B

9. Wildarm

Wildarm Ogre

I love that the new cards are being immediately shuffled into QD options. I've already gotten Clumsy and Ice Bolts and put them to good use. No Festering Guts as of yet though. That will be interesting in QD I'm sure. Perma-suicide bomber.

10. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Not that I plan to do so, but if someone were to suggest an item's icon, that'd still be under design, correct? This would be something similar to giving item level, rarity, token requirements, imo. (As in, not necessary, but acceptable)

11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Not similar, because item level, rarity, and token requirements are just functions of the cards used.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  12. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Again, not something I'd typically have time to do, was just curious :).
    All in all, I've enjoyed only needing to give the small information required. If my idea isn't conveyed well through the cards I use, so be it. I'm happy for "yay, new content" regardless!

13. Not possible, since Festering Guts is amethyst (a.k.a. purple a.k.a. AAA a.k.a. +15) quality.

14. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

Question to @Flaxative :
    I dont know if this has been asked before, but when we post an item and think of a better one, are we allowed to re-post a new idea - I'v seen people do that but dont know if we are allowed to.

15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

If you want to revoke your submission and make a new one, that is okay.

BlackVoidDeath likes this.
  16. Fry

Fry Ogre

You should design an item that everyone else will want to use, but which makes their teams weaker against what you run. ;)

17. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

It's an old military acronym.
    Situation normal, all f---ed up

Juxtapostion likes this.
  18. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

To anyone paying attention to other related threads: don't worry, the promised rewards in this month's contest thread will be awarded for this month's contest. Events somewhat beyond my control will force me to slightly restructure AA next month, but I expect that my decision will be palatable to the majority of users. I want this contest to continue being fun. So it shall. For now, AA#4 proceeds as described in the contest thread, and changes—if any—will come next month with AA#5. Also, to be clear, AA has always been and always will be a very generous offering from the dev team. From our perspective, we are doing something very nice that is a strict bonus on top of everything else we offer in the game (though I understand some collectors don't love item addition). This contest can and should be a pleasant enterprise within the community. It's a bit of an experiment on our part. We can always pull it whenever we want if we find that it is hurting the community, so please don't try to turn it into something negative. The best way to ensure this is for all participants to follow the guidelines.

For the record, there's a pretty big difference between turning in a flawed submission and willfully flaunting the devs' requests for contest-related behavior. To put that concretely: @Inkfingers' Tasty, Tasty Staff submission and Stexe's submission discussion thread are not comparable. Being rewarded for the former will, as stated explicitly on several counts, henceforth only happen outside the bounds of the contest. The latter will never be rewarded.

I am not especially interested in entertaining further debate on the contest guidelines. Those with strong opinions have been heard, and Jon and I have been conferring about how to address the situation. For now, follow the guidelines if you want a good shot at winning this month, and respect the guidelines and the devs if you want to help keep AA around. No other updates at this time; stay tuned.

19. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

The only reason I'm not retaliating with a community poll on who wants to remove

....because it's petty to fight, especially here on the forums. Although I personally haven't been around long, I have read what happened to a certain few people who were trouble makers before. (I'm sure older players know better than I)

20. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Interesting enough I didn't even read Meevar's comments before posting my thread. But I obviously do agree with him.
    Completely agree with this too.

Why don't we just poll the community and see what they want? Isn't AA first and foremost for the community and making cool items for the game? When did it become about being a pure competition to simply best others?