Aloyzo's Arsenal Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I doubt they'd touch Trogdor without a little creative misspelling.

2. Fry

Fry Ogre

Oh right, because Muscle Through is the easy ticket to the finals, I knew that. <3

3. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

Something I want to do (when enough items are chosen) is create a character with only AA items and see how well they do in MP :)

4. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Say hi to Gary for me. :cool:

5. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

eldecrok likes this.
  6. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

(So if you want to discuss your submission, be discreet and do it by PM.)

7. eldecrok

eldecrok Kobold

Thanks for reminder Pawn. :3

8. Fry

Fry Ogre

That rule seems goofy. What's the rationale behind telling people not to ask for feedback on their submissions while submissions are still open?

9. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

The rule didn't say to not ask for feedback.

10. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

It says not to discuss, and asking for feedback is definitely a form of discussion.
    A simple way around this is to first build it in the Smithy thread, discuss and revise it there, and then submit it. You can talk about it all you want before it's submitted to AA.

timeracers likes this.
  11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Whoever talks more about their submission is effectively turning in extra material. To keep submissions an even playing field, I can't let people submit supplemental materials of any kind. In theory, if I didn't look at anything except the submission thread, and people kept all their discussion outside the submission thread, it would be okay. But I read every post on the forums, and it's hard to unsee things.

Also, take the submission process seriously. Discuss beforehand, if you want, but please only submit something worth my time to look at. Discussing further after submitting is a sign you lack confidence in your submission, and thus that you're wasting my time.

12. Dwedit

Dwedit Goblin Champion

I believe there are already monsters in the game named Trogdor.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  13. eldecrok

eldecrok Kobold

Point taken ^^

ParodyKnaveBob and Flaxative like this.
  14. MeevarTheMighty

MeevarTheMighty Orc Soldier

This has me thinking about things like visual descriptions, flavour text etc. In theory, the rules are clear cut and they're not allowed, but in practice, a lot of entries have them and have won or been shortlisted in previous Aloyzo's Arsenals. It's stuff that is part of the card, so it makes sense to include it in an entry, but reading the preamble, I'm starting to wonder if the rules are hazy there.

When you say

Do you mean before the competition begins or during, but before we submit? If community discussion is considered desirable, could there be a discussion thread where the only thing discussed is crafting items for the current AA, or would you be unable to avoid it? What if every post must be spoilered? I'm not trying to push anything here, I just think there's some ambiguity that could be resolved.

(also, sorry for crossing the line in this thread, again it was a case of a discussion going on about a particular entry and it's hard to know where the line is... still not sure whether the whole discussion was out of bounds or just my contribution)

15. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

If you would put 3 golden cards on a 3 card item it would be around lvl 27 and therefore need a (greattoken)? I dont know why I am asking that question, but may be someone should review his submission.;)

16. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

It's NOT stuff that's part of "the card" (what card? you're submitting an item. Items don't have flavor text in this game, I have literally no idea why people keep including flavor text in their item submissions. But don't worry—it just makes them look worse!). I don't DQ people for it but it looks REALLY bad.

Before submitting, I guess. Or, you know, just submit a good item design. Use the Smithy Thread to practice item design. The submission thread is for submissions, and this thread is for discussing the competition and asking me questions. There is no need to discuss your submitted items and I ask you not to. Can you just follow that please? :p

The only ambiguity is imagined ambiguity. The rule is clear as I can make it.

DO NOT DISCUSS SUBMISSIONS FOR THE CURRENT COMPETITION.

ParodyKnaveBob and Inkfingers like this.
  17. billiska

billiska Ogre

Thanks for posting that. That's the first time I understood your rationale behind that rule.
    Does that mean you're okay with discussing current submission anywhere that it doesn't reach you? Like in private chat?

18. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

Since Flax monitors all private chats: no.

Stexe likes this.
  19. billiska

billiska Ogre

Curses! I knew he logged the private chat and use a bot to scan for keywords like 'AA' and 'submissions' to auto QD people!

Jokes aside, I'm the kind who tries to follow the law even where the law doesn't see me.
    Where Flax is not as a law, but I thinks every time whether it would upset him if I chat about item submissions if he knew.

BlackVoidDeath likes this.
  20. MeevarTheMighty

MeevarTheMighty Orc Soldier

Or if you think about it another way, it would be nice if items had flavour text! Point taken though, that's crazy that so many of us have been confused in that regard. :confused:

All of this uncertainty! Now I'm not sure if you literally have no idea or if you can see how people would make the mistake, but you feel like it's necessary to be rude. Since the answer is kind of included in that you noticed that I said "card", I'm going to assume the latter. If I'm wrong in doing that and you literally literally have no idea... I'm sorry, I can explain if you want. Otherwise, whether you have compassion for others is up to you, but I don't know what you mean to achieve with that kind of expression or if you expect to be taken seriously when you exaggerate so flamboyantly.

Either way, your revelation about flavour text didn't answer my question about a visual description, so there's still some (imaginary like everything else in this universe) ambiguity as to whether you'll jump on people for that at any point, considering it does currently appear to be against the rules, yo:
    Since we can edit/delete and resubmit before the end of the month (and if you don't like it, you should spell that out in the competition rules) and the whole point of discussing them would obviously be to establish whether that should be done, it seems like a bit of a nonsensical/imaginary cutoff point. You say "I guess" which doesn't strike me as the turn of phrase most indicative of things being as clear as you can make them. I hope you're not too surprised that I'm still confused by how this rule is supposed to function.

Again, not trying to be argumentative and I hope you're not offended by my questions, you just didn't really answer everything (understandably, it was a bit dense) and I don't know why you have to be so dramatic. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015