Caverns of Chaos

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Obernoob, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

So far I've only made it as far as 9 before hitting a stopper. I figure I'll beat it one of these days, but I'm not in a big hurry.

Flaxative likes this.
  2. RoflCat

RoflCat Goblin Champion

One thing they can do is make it so all encounters are 'balanced' to some degree.

Something along the line of:
    1. Calculate the total 'worth' of all enemies.
    2. Decide what key factor those enemies have (for example, Skeletons = immune to slashing)
    3. Each character is given a 'counter' to those key factor (1 weapon or 2 divine/arcane items), using the above example, a warrior will get weapon that contain at least X points of Crushing attack cards (not damage, points). The level of the counter item should be equal/similar to the highest level enemy.
    4. Subtract the average value of the items given from the enemies' total worth, then split the rest randomly into each slot and grab a random gear of that value into the slot.

This should guarantee that your party is never completely out of options, although you can still get screwed by getting anti-magic cards in a purely physical encounter.

' 'a then again I don't know the structure of CoC's randomizer so I could be looking at it wrong and you were just unlucky with draws.

Isn't Return to the Cavern of Chaos = CoC but with your own party?

That'd completely ruin the initial point of CoC isn't it? That it'd be a super tough dungeon that's repeatable for the top-end PvE players to farm instead of having to touch PvP once they're out of modules.

3. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

What's the weakest CoC draw you've had?

Level 5 just now, faced four trog wizards and three armoured pigs with three fighters including a manoeuvring elf. Scared to play onto level 6 now, I'm going to get flattened by some crazy mix of wyverns and mutant warriors, I know it.

Edit: 2x security robots and 2x bishop guardians + 5 other mobs, small map, zero cover :(

Edit2: holy crap I beat it. Concentrate on the bots, and only having one character in each bot's cone of fire. When it charges up, skedaddle, and they'll take out everything else with abandon because they're pretty cool bots, eh has laesrs and doesnt afraid of anything. You can use one character as a suicide marker to draw fire onto the rest of the mobs, so the other two don't get tangled up in zones of control when you try to run.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    Flaxative and Sir Veza like this.
  4. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Some people just don't enjoy PvP. I know, because I'm one of them. I think the super tough part was to justify the increased rewards, and it certainly accomplishes that. I think randomized dungeons at the lower levels that weren't so difficult and offered standard rewards would also go over well.
    I think it was Servants, Cockroaches, Trog Wizards, and some kind of saplings. I had 3 support priests, so it still took a while to kill them, but I don't think I actually needed to kill the servants or roaches. I think I made it past the next map, but had elf wizards facing Wyverns, Marksmen, Fire Fiends, and some other heavy on the one after. My head was handed to me in short order.

Happenstance likes this.
  5. Black Raven

Black Raven Hydra

On my first play got to lvl 6. Although, if I was more patient I would have gone past the level.

One laser turret vs one dwarf wizard.

Nice implementation. Gratz BM (flax in particular).

Farbs, Flaxative and Sir Veza like this.
  6. PDXTai

PDXTai Ogre

Found Pain. Even won this round!
    CoC pain lvl8.png
    Got a Beater :)

Christofff and Sir Veza like this.
  7. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Has anyone figured out Pain's gimmick yet?

PDXTai likes this.
  8. hwango

hwango Hydra

I just got assistance from both Bleneth and Mokad in my first crack at the final node (which I lost, sadly). Wow, Bleneth really does love Mass Frenzy, as we might have guessed from the various items bearing his name. He's got at least 4 copies in his deck. Mokad seems very vampiric, and even has a Storge blood-draining card. In round 9 I had Glasod, who was pretty awesome. In a previous run I had Quick Jon. Fun to see the legendary folks of Cardhuntria in action. I've got my fingers crossed that Bynzer and Crazy Sal are somewhere in the mix.

9. PDXTai

PDXTai Ogre

10. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

They're not, but I may add more down the line.

Christofff and Wocket like this.
  11. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

She's not wearing her famous hat?

12. haesslicherBob

haesslicherBob Lizardman Priest

Yay, I got the crown as well.

I think I got lucky to face the troll king and not Blizzi. :cool: He was accpmpanied by Alet Zhav, Diagonal-chess-pieces, mutants and invisible spiders (if I remember correctly). With two wizards and a priest I was able to slowly kite them down.

I have yet to discover a special character though.

I tried the "return to the CoC" adventure afterwards, reached lvl 10 and got destroyed by Blizzi (although I had a chance to kill him, but 2 toughness´triggered for him ruining my small glimpse at victory)

Sir Veza and wavy like this.
  13. Bykuzplastiku

Bykuzplastiku Orc Soldier

LOL i have the same story from yesterday. I was able to finish lvl 10 on the fifth attempt. I got 2 human warriors with spears and one premium guy against robots mind flaser and bigbrain. Good positioning and sacrificing one character was enough for robots to kill 2 or 3 key enemies.

I have played about 150 battles during the process. The drops are amazing. I started with 0 gold and now i am on 6,5k + 6 other legendaries (unfortunately nothing spectacular). The final drop (crown + legendary =2k). Then i run it with 3 dwarves and smash everything 1-9 and was surprised by Blitz on lvl 10 and get killed.

I think that the key is to learn your character decks. They are not random. There is a set of characters both normal and lets say 'premium' that can fight on your side. It is easy to recognize what you got more or less based on figure and primary draw. You can adjust strategy based on that. The only issue is when you draw all 3 supports.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  14. Han Lee

Han Lee Guild Leader

upload_2015-10-16_15-18-0.png

All hail Xander. I was down to 1 hp per character and was able to tank through mighty sparks, frost bolts, devastating sparks, and fire bolts. Skeles were dealt with first to take out perforating attacks, and I finally prevailed on Round 31. Now on to the ninth floor....

15. Yxklyx

Yxklyx Mushroom Warrior

So what characters are people taking into the first battle - I always have a hard time with that one. All wizards?

16. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

Well attacks that deal wth multiple monsters are usually good.

Volcano, fireball, chop, even magma, ohhh and radiation works nice since if you land it next to monster they don't notice and often don't move away. Plus, radiation on multiple monsters sometimes give festering guts or mad dog and you ge chain reaction

17. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Buffed burst is beautiful, especially if you have fireball, but any burst will do.

Beat Return to CoC just now. It is easier, but I didn't find it drastically easier because you never knew what you were facing so you couldn't bring the "farm build." I tried burff to start and found it worked really well for the early nodes but lost effectiveness later on. Ended up switching to warrior, priest, priest. Beat it with that on my third attempt but even then barely squeaked through a few nodes. Volcano might be interesting, but I'm not sure it'd fly as the primary strategy.

Sir Veza likes this.
  18. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I'm jaded. I use Burft for the first battle, and resign/reload if I draw monsters I'd lose to.
    I get enough aggravation from using the wimpy prefabs in the battles that follow.

19. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

I know the feeling. Got excited, because of a legendary drop and then it was just a Staff of the Misanthrope. :( And it was already over in Node 3 with Oak Bombardiers, Orchre Slimes and Frost Imps firering from the background and Mutant Brutes going in, while I had no heals and also not many attacks. Also the Frost Imps did a great job in decreasing my mobility. Allthough I was able to avoid many attacks with Jump Back and Radioactive Pulse favoured me, I had no chance.

I recoignized during that game what the problem with the Oak Bombardiers is. It is not only their attacks, which are already good in campaign, but they also draw 4 cards every turn, which means they do reliable two range attacks every turn and often enough the Arcorn Sling, which do way to much damage for a range attack. And then there is their 31 life points, which not help to chase them down easily.

Sir Veza likes this.
  20. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

Fingers crossed for St Ulrich Eixocl and Zoltan in future