The Misadventures of the Laser Hunting Triad

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by GregarFalzar, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Understanding the arcane is paramount to safe use of magic. It isn't a surprise then, than so many fools die handling 'technology' thinking it isn't magic

[​IMG]

What you see there is the TL;DR version of what this team boils down to. It is the greediest arcane damage grab, the most pristine and ornate glass cannon. Screw carefully positioning your enemy team to maximize burst, linear or over time damage. Leave those terrain attachments to the boring geomancers and the telekinesis to the cowards. You can outgun almost every foe out there, the question is whether you can conquer them while also conquering yourself

x3 Hunting Triad Ranger
    Level 18 Elf Wizard

I made this team while bored and slightly on tilt, in the sense that I decided that, at the least, I would stop getting blitzed by nonsense and at least take down one enemy with me. I went 3-5 with this team, and while 2 of those loses were decisive routs, every single other game was incredibly thrilling.

In a world where Card Hunter lets you mulligan, this team has a stable start, but because we aren't in that parallel dimension, be prepared for turn 1 Laser Sprays hitting your team. In the current map rotation, you'll either be seeing one of your teammates, or both. You can lose between 5 to 20 health on average (Mind you, 5 damage is 1/11th of your total team's health). Not to mention your opponent will be developing their strategies (Or sitting back and laughing while still nervously expecting a Volcano). Not to mention, every single step along the game, your cards might backstab you. Your trusty Mega Lasers can make your batteries explode (Shaving off another important eleventh fraction of your team's life pool). You can run out of batteries in your finest hour. You may draw your Laser Spray and be well positioned, but your opponent is right next to you and you have no choice but to use it and trade glory for life. Your one copy of Squeamish might make you hesitate taking the shot, while your opponent won't hesitate taking your head. And yet, I find this to be the most fun and engaging team you can use while cruising your way through the multiplayer ladder

Down, mind you

If you've ever played a solitarie or cooperative board game, you'll find that using this team feels a lot like using one of them them. Most solo boardgames have bad things slowly progressing: People are getting sick, storms are raging through, the zombies are taking over, villains are entering the city. This is par for the course, and it is usually the status quo. But those games also have specific pieces that shake up the game inmensely. It might ramp up the difficulty, cause special enemies to appear, or even drastically change the games rules. These pieces can often end a game on the spot if they show up early, and will force you to either stand firm or perish

That piece is Laser Spray.

This team demands that you weave through the board in such a way that you confound your enemy's assault, carefully bait the enemy's blocks and shave off their armor with your discard spells, have several enemies within the line of sight of several members of your party but also keep your party away from each's other's vision. It asks you to endure terrible match-ups, to suppress enemy pyromancers, Nimbuses, Force Field, Elven Maneuvers and heals that overpower even your lasers, and besides only a handful of very strong, game-changing cards, your only option is to kite your enemies through the map, and into the sightlines of your comrades. For each member of your team, you get only two Flanking, only one Skip, only one Gust, only one Wind, only one E.Scamper, but you get a lot, a LOT of shots, and you better make every one of them count

If you belong to any guild you deeply care about, do not use this team, I will wash my hands from your innocent blood. Your enemy's deck is likely to be solid, and yours is literally stacked against you. But using this offshoot, gauzy, unpredictable team has given me an experience I hadn't found in Card Hunter, not even on single player. In Single Player, you fight on your own terms. Even if you, say, randomize your load-out or put arbitrary restraints, you know what you are facing and know how the game operates. Here, you don't know the match-up and only have an idea of the stage, which makes the difficulty highly variable, giving you this feeling that you mostly find in coop board games or rogue-likes. This team is why I foresee myself slowly waltzing towards the 800s, clenching my fist in anticipation at every draw, and pumping it through the sky as a paper card, product of an 8 damage gold card, deals 15 damage to the enemy team

2. Mama Mia

Mama Mia Hydra

Gotta love a fun build!

3. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

It's the Card Hunter version of hauissh!

4. Pyrogoth

Pyrogoth Mushroom Warrior

ah ! another mega laser team !
    We'll burn them all the weak minded cowards. Only the myghtiest dare wield the mega laser power !

5. Can haz fixed-deck league, please? :D

6. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Dude,
    I love this build. I tried about 4 different iterations of it. I went back and forth between traitcycling to the max and buffing my own damage through arcane shell or aura.
    My nemesis was Brain leak. And my constant question was whether to use a token for armor removal, or for a traitcycling-gusts of war-brain burn.
    My idea was that you get to your powerful sparks and lasers faster if you traitcycle. If you can't get more mighty sparks...get less cards in your deck...so to speak.
    So here's where I am in the evolution of the build I call "Magic Elves" in honor of the prodigy mod by that name.

Elf wizard x3
    Electro-laser
    Sparkping staff
    shifting bangle
    armorbane pendant
    sensate's ring
    copper zapping wand
    cotton wizard's robes
    ulalia's boots
    cautious mobility
    superb electromancy

7. Pyrogoth

Pyrogoth Mushroom Warrior

cotton wizard's robe and Ulalia's boots are not worth it. You plan on dealing as much damage as you can. Arcane aura takes 2 to 4 cards to make up for its gold value in terms of damage and you will probably not be able to do that. Arcane shell you can keep it if you take damge but takes even longer to be worth it. You'd rather draw a mighty spark than the aura, by far.
    What do you think about using Overloaded Staff instead of Sparkping staff and may be humans with leadership ?
    But may be this is going away from the original idea.

My try with MEGA laser was 2 dwarf with two Electro-laser each, as much traits as possible, and a purge/frenzy/Advanced Flexibility human priest.
    It was fun, but its just not as powerfull as burst attack from Searing pain (or other burst staff).

Also,laser spray is really one of the worst handicap in the game. It's a huge pain to loose a card, your turn, and damage your own team all at the same time. It really is worse than fumble for me.