Aloyzo's Arsenal Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

The answer to the first question is always yes, regardless of content, as I keep telling you ... :rolleyes:
    How long before? IDK. Patience.

2. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

What does this word mean? :p

Han Lee likes this.
  3. Part 3 of the whole reviewing of things:

-sethaure's Xanthicius Corrosive Tooth: The combination of items is great, the Brain Burn might be slightly out of touch, I feel. Corrosive Breath is probably at least Gold+ if not Emerald which would push this item up to Major/Minor though
    -Rebel7284[s Pontiff Scepter: I guess Bishop's Scepter was too obvious. Bishop Heal feels overcosted at Silver, but the card selection is OK
    -Insomnicron's Flute of Forced Fandangos: No theme and.....a card whose only use is to bait Defender's. This is obviously more like an idea rather than a straight submission but I would like to know the thought process
    -Silver Flame's Gnomish Hooked Spear: Very similar to the previous Cumbrous Spear, but lower on the power standings
    -adajon42's Irradiated Sawn Off: I really like this item, I really do. Problem is an 8 damage attack at range six is very....iffy on Priests. Shotgun Slug probably should be Gold which would push this up to level 21 and I'm not feeling the Push the Button
    -GorGhandi's Unholy Pendant: I couldn't even find what an Avenging Totem is
    -Vlamona's Muscular Zombie Club: Helluva lot of Slowed on weapons right now. Tight set if anything, don't think Shuffle's a weapon card though
    -Punf's Trained Panicking: How do you train people to panic? This isn't overpowered or anything, i've already shared my thoughts on Raise the Alarm it's just really offbeat to me
    -Phantom_Sun's Fang of the Lycanthrope: A 2-Minor weapon chockful of Step attacks. Seems fairer than Rageblood but nothing that unique
    -40c_rudy's Unstable Thinker: No theme but the set of cards seems reasonable. Readiness looked good until I noticed it was 5+ and name of the item is weird, though
    -CT5's Stout Surveyor: Silliness that somehow works. Scan seems like hell to land, at least in Multiplayer, but otherwise this is a cool concept
    -El Viejo Dakuan's Mutated Master Wizard: No real theme and too much cheese
    -jonada[s Astral Mantle: This seems like too heavy an armor for a wizard and Clumsy is arguably not a drawback for Wizards either, definitelly isn't one when Bishop Blast or LoS spells are involved either
    -Rohndil's Lizardman Spear: A level 8 (I think?) grabbag of stab attacks. Nothing to write home about
    -dueq's Gnomish Sticky Shield: I do dig Reactive Trip on shields here, the flavor is kind of debatable but it seems like the kind of thing someone using a big shield would do to intercept opponents.
    -DeserterKalak's Mutant Kidney: Radioactive Pulse is in iffy territory, but I feel this is a balanced colection of cards in as of itself. Theme is fine if a little on the air
    -Randolf's Morel Outrage. Spore Cloud is cheese and "Off-Theme-Blind-Rage-For-Cost-Reduction Syndrome"
    -memotomy's Giant Storge's Proboscis: I do not appreciate the name swindle, and the kit is not really synergistic
    -Chirslakefen's Overcooked Science Project: While the item name is silly and fun, there is no slime theme going on here. It's a powerful fire item with an undercosted encumber tacked on
    -Reint's Bi-Racial Bludgeoning: The title of the card sounds racist at first glance. The item set is actually somewhat balanced but the problem is that, as of right now, Troll Regeneration triggers of allied cards, which can get really deranged really quickly
    -RedNebula's Parasitic Induction: I like the idea of having some sort of brain leech on the back of your face that somehow gives you an edge in combat. Toxic Pulse is a really strong attack to be on a Helmet and feels undercosted, but otherwise the theme is quite slick
    -PenPenguin's Form of the Dragon: Alabaster Wyrmhide is a cool card, but it's not a balanced card, I don't think even at Amethyst (Remember, that roll is for the second efffect, it's actually Armor 4 at 1+!)
    -Robauke's Lively Heartwood Branch: Muscle Through strikes again! This, however, is a very straightforward kit and a strong theme, Tree Limb Smash feels fairly balanced as well, plus it synergizes well with snares
    -doog37's Makeshift Security Kit: As much as I want this to be a thing, this item would give the game so much variance and cheesy randomness it would make Hearthstone look like a serious game
    -Tardis' Thieves Guild: Straight and Simple (But no in-game monster theme). I can't judge the strength of Steal but since the other two aren't too powerful of cards this seems OK
    -ParodyKnaveBob's Hand of the Malodours: PKB already has addressed that this is a less serious submission so, whoops
    -Pyrogoth's Tentacle on a Stick: The strength of Mental Flensing is actually quite debatable (As is whether or not it is undercosted), besides being really really cheesy in single player vs certain bosses. The thing is, this item has Mental Flensing plus a bunch of very, very effective keepaway, which is a recipe for dissaster
    -BlackSabbath's Geomancer Totem: BoringButDoesJobAndOnTheme();
    -Billiska's Rad Chelicerae Dagger: This item is rad, now allow me to shoot myself for this pun. Jokes aside, this is a very flavorful collection of items, and it features a very interesting monster card on it. Great stuff
    -Redde's Mercurial Manica Parasite: This also has a theme from out of this game but it's a good one, much like the above helmet. Fair collection of items
    -Vholes's Ziggurat Spike: I really dig this, Hemorrage doesn't feels too out of place as a shield attack and the blocks are thematic. The question is whether or not Hemorrage should be introduced as a Shield card
    -JohnSancti's Sancti's Plate: No theme and Tough Bark which is basically Only Bones 2.0, pass
    -Accent's Lich Robes: ThemeIsStrongButItHasThatOneCard();
    -Vakaz's Taxidermized Kobold Hood: The theme is silly and on point, though I feel this helmet would be a little too good as War Cry is an elusive and powerful card
    -thick_panther's Ghost Form Armor: No theme from this game and.....has 5 cards? And it's an 'Armor'?
    -Kalin's Jelly Belly: This looks both cool and disgusting. Making Warriors march through swaths of muds seems like an easy way to ruin people's days. I think this is nice if Mud Pit had slightly less range
    -Gearbox's Scavenger Troglodyte Armor: *Thinks of Maneuvering Elves again* *Shrugs* *Likes the item*
    -Mama Mia's Scrapped Turret: This is a very interesting collection of items which takes the Turret theme in a different direction, cool stuff
    -gala99's Hyper Thalamus' Psychic Thrust: Simple and effective, maybe a little too much as if i'm not wrong this is Tokenless, and very evil
    -Meevar the Mighty's Gumboots of Fishy Bearings: You have a strong charge, a drawback on an item that gives you two items to fight it, and a way to land that charge. Theme is on point but the combination of items is scary
    -LootLoser's Mutant Maker: I'm pretty sure this is a level 24-ish item to start. The theme of the general mutant population is interesting but I don't think Contagion works with those specific cards
    -Entangled Quanta's Cranial Flail: Much like the previous submission, this also has its own interesting mix of zombie flavor, maybe literally
    -Corian Countertop's Zombie Hand of Glory: I wouldn't use Zombie Mob on a Warrior, let alone on a Wizard. I think this was addressed earlier in the discussion thread so i'll leave it at 'Try Viscous Locket maybe'
    -Room9's Root Canal: Horrible puns and a balanced item-set, what not to like?
    -Harvet's Captured Spirit Staff: This feels evil, yet somehow balanced. It's a mix of raw damage and discard effects, so it doesn't focuses much in either, which is a nice place to be
    -HerselfTheElf's Dragon Claw-Tipped Staff: If my calculations are correct this is a level 16-17 item. It's an interesting take on a triple Fireball item at that token range as it gives you a strong melee attack, much like how other wizard items can give you short range spells like Magma Spray. I think the handicap pushes the item a little too much, though, even if it's flavorful
    -Not Yet Measured Xander's Boots of Invisibility: I thought Xander already had boots? :p. Another good theme that is sadly not on a monster, not to mention the catastrophic result of giving each class Invisibility at Minor Token

And that's about it. That was obviously a very productive endeavor as I get on everyone's virtual hitlist. Now if what killer up there said is true about Sundering and Only Bones (As I remember it NOT killing Only Bones) I might reevaulate my assessment on the card slightly

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    Vholes, Sir Veza, Harvet and 6 others like this.
  4. Pyrogoth

Pyrogoth Mushroom Warrior

I really don't feel I made such a powerfull item. But honestly I was not really thinking about its power, only the theme and having pretty cards to look at. May be I need to think twice.

5. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

You are right the Psychic Blast would be too powerful if it did simply 12 damage, but it doesn't. Frequently people keep 2 cards til end of round so those characters would only take 8 damage.

6. MeevarTheMighty

MeevarTheMighty Orc Soldier

So it should, but Sundering Strike doesn't compare well with the whole sphere of acid magic (7 armour removing cards), along with cards like Perplexing Ray and Memory Loss. These tend to be low cost ranged magic cards.

It's not unreasonable to demand that a team of wizards have some way of dealing with armour, but Sundering Strike is a single high cost card with an attack range of 1. I think it's less reasonable to insist that every team of warriors bring enough Sundering Strikes that they won't get kited and destroyed by a single armour card.

That's not to say it's completely unreasonable (there are still alternatives to slashing and piercing attacks), just that it's obviously not as reasonable.

Edit:

Thanks, GregarFalzar, reading your review has lead me to appreciate a few submissions I'd skimmed over!

On my own, BEAR in mind that monsters are supposed to be scary, but more to the point, all boots have a few ways to combat Clumsy. On the other hand, I hadn't noticed that it isn't actually on any player items, so I guess double monster card rules that submission out, if nothing else.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  7. -Only- 8 damage is still about the damage a Gold-quality spell is dealing at 6 range, not to mention Wizards are notorious for either having straight up discard spells or being able to force you to use cards (By, say, putting terrain below you), alternatively, they just throw a warrior at you and have you burn your cards on him :p. Then again, I feel like I might be misjudging the card because I have yet to face Mind Flensers, I've only used them once in that Mauve Manticore . I definitelly think it's a strong card, much like Punishing Beam, it can just do absurd amounts of damage, but it's reverse Punishing Beam, and emptying someone's hand from 8 range is far easier than being at 4 range when someone has a full hand

Pyrogoth likes this.
  8. Pyrogoth

Pyrogoth Mushroom Warrior

I didn't mean its too strong. It's just probably not appropriatly rated as a gold card. but perfectly payable.

Having too much straightforward long range damage is not suitable. Look how searing pain is almost always rated best staff of the game.

9. Gearbox

Gearbox Kobold

On the topic of Only Bones and Sundering Strike interaction:

Just finished up my co-op campaign and SS did negate OB. This was on the live server, not the test. I'd SS a skeleton, OB would Proc, and SS would ignore it and discard it.

ParodyKnaveBob and Sir Veza like this.
  10. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Just thought of something concerning Only Bones and @LieutenantCommanderData's item with (iirc) low-ish level and rarity (which translates to cost in the seasonal shops just like the normal shops, I'm guessing (since I haven't been around long enough to know)): Campaign.

Equipping and drawing it would make you pretty much invincible in some adventures, right? (And it's not like Gary needs any help being a novice GM who takes stupid actions.) Oh no, Goblin Berserkers! *RAWR!* Immunity. I don't immediately recall any adventures where Resistant Hide ends the enemy's efforts entirely. (Accidental alliteration!) Then, when you consider the great majority of players stick to Campaign and never venture into Multiplayer (unless the Steam / Co-op upgrade has changed this demographic any?), OB might be OP for all those SP players who just happened to get to play around Halloween with a little spare gold, meaning probably the majority of the Cardhuntrian population. Hm. Aww. $:^ \ Gary and concentrated adventure themes now concern me more than real, live humans who consider the risks of offenses, defenses, deck statistics, etc.

11. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Resistant hide used to shut enemies down on certain maps, if you were lucky enough to draw it. Most of the monsters involved have had armament upgrades, and the instances are very few these days.
    I suspect something similar would happen if Only Bones was available to players. Of course, if it isn't allowed, it's even less work.
    On the other hand, it's only SP. It might be slow in coming, or blown off entirely.

12. Dargenom

Dargenom Orc Soldier

But I do! The citrine, garnet and ruby demon portal adventures are auto-win with resistant hide. There is a single acid fiend in the citrine demon portal adventure that can make you discard it, but that's it.

And those are just the adventures where RH is an auto-win, there are plenty that go from a considerable challenge to easy mode with it in hand. And that's when you play it recklessly (Which I almost always do!), if you build a wizard control shell around it I imagine you could stomp the adventures quite reliably. OB would most assuredly have the same effect if not worse, seeing as the amount of adventures where the enemies use primarily slashing/piercing attacks far outnumber those where they use primarily acid/electricity/fire attacks.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  13. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

That's only if you have a lot of Firestorm in my experience ... Resistant Hide helps a bit on RDP but there're lots of arcane and acid imps who basically don't care about Resistant Hide. RH lets you not care about them because you kill them with two firestorms without taking damage, of course. My first run through RDP, when I wasn't burning myself, I don't think RH would have helped me much.

timeracers likes this.
  14. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

I'd like to also mention Frost Imps and Frost Sprites; those and their arcane counterparts don't give a damn about any resistant hides :p

timeracers likes this.
  15. Dargenom

Dargenom Orc Soldier

Oh man, I completely forgot about both the arcane & frost enemies! I stand corrected, turns out there is no auto-win for using resistant hide.

timeracers likes this.
  16. BlackVoidDeath

If you two record today, then when will you post the video, today as well?

17. CT5

CT5 Guild Leader

:p

(Glad you're excited though! :D)

18. BlackVoidDeath

Still dont have an explanation, and yes, exited for sure :)

19. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

Please do deliver guys. I was so excited because turned out I'll have the rest of my day free, and now I'm so out of energy that I can't even play Card Hunter.

I've got some terrible sickness guys. ;__;

20. Seems like you have a severe case of Hype-a-thitis, synthoms can include stress, indecisiveness, craving for food, and anticipation-driven stupor while waiting for a specific thing to happen

Unless you actually mean you're physically sick in which case I wish you get better soon

ParodyKnaveBob and seth arue like this.