Smithy- Build your own Items

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Juxtapostion, May 21, 2015.

1. Benhimself

Benhimself War Monkey

Elven Champion's Gear
    (Level 20 Rare Elf Skill)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Racial Skills should have traits.

3. Benhimself

Benhimself War Monkey

Healthy Caution, Wariness, Superb Trickery, just to name three.

4. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

*in this instance, I don't mind being wrong :D
    (However, I'd rather an elven card like Elvish Insight as opposed to Dancing Cut, but that's just my opinion.)

5. Benhimself

Benhimself War Monkey

Yeah, it's deliberately pushing the envelope of elven skills, but A) they're all move cards, and B) Dancing Cut is more for the thematicness of it: representing light and mobile elven equipment in the form of armor, weapon, and shield. (Light and mobile enough that even a wizard could use them, even.)

6. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Would be an excellent reason to be boots, but that'd be some pretty OP boots

7. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

No it wouldn't be OP boots because Dynamic Armor is greatly overrated.

8. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Thanks! I'll have to remember that for potential next AA....I've always wanted Dynamic Armor and Surging Shield Block together, and on boots, but didn't know how well it'd ho over.

9. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

But I feel the mentioned idea has 1 too few pure move card to be boots, I suggest changing one of those hybrids to be pure movement.

10. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Do boots get Keep armors with more than Armor 2? I thought not, generally speaking.

12. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

That's true.

13. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

For whatever it's worth, not to keep bashing the original item or anything, but...
    1. elf racials shouldn't have armor cards, ever
    2. elf racials, generally speaking, shouldn't have block cards (evasive reaction cards, yes)
    3. elf racials, generally speaking, shouldn't have attacks

Transferring the item to a boots produces some other issues.
    4. boots shouldn't have Keep armor over 2, as previously noted
    5. boots, generally speaking, shouldn't have attacks that do more than 3 damage. (Lunging Bash breaks this rule on a couple special items.)
    6. boots, generally speaking, shouldn't have blocks on them. (Hard to Pin Down is an exception on a couple items, and Surging Shield Block matches its role, but this is pretty important in the general case. Wizards should have a very hard time finding block cards, and if a lot of boots have blocks that changes things.)

I can see making exceptions for #2, #3, and #5 when items are exceptionally well-designed, or if there's a significant token cost associated with breaking the rules, and none of this should limit the imaginations of casual item dreamsmiths. I say this just in case it is instructive for future Aloyzo's Arsenal submissions. There are items that break our rules from time to time but that doesn't mean we want more of them. (P.S. this also applies to divine weapons, a couple pages back: Vampire's Blade, Portia's Maul, Lifesuck Spear... these are exceptions to a rule, not legitimizers of pure damage divine weapon designs going forward.)

Actually, laying this all out, I'm starting to think we should replace all Hard to Pin Downs on boots with Surging Shield Blocks, because the latter now has the functionality that the former had when it was first added to boots (moving on block). Oh well, not gonna happen anytime soon.

(Last note: I am describing the item design guidelines as they exist now, not as they 'should be.')

14. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Aw, so no Dynamic Armor and Surging Shield Block on same item :(
    Back to the drawing board.

15. Mama Mia

Mama Mia Hydra

Dammit, Flax. I guess this one has to be shelfed then. :(

Expert Falconeering - Elf Racial
    Pathfinding, Scouting Run, Fiery Fist
    FALCON PUNCH!

16. Benhimself

Benhimself War Monkey

Yeah, as I said I was deliberately pushing the envelope with Champion's Gear in hopes that either the thematicness, the major-tokenness, or both, would excuse it. I mean, it's like... dwarves get moves, as long as it's angry, dwarven-type moving (charges), so why not give elves armor (and attacks and etc), as long as it's light and mobile and elfy? So I stand by it as a casual item design that will probably never be submitted to AA because if open elf skills are made available again I'm totally going Pathfinding + 2x Flanking Move for my elf wizard peeps.

seth arue likes this.
  17. Pyrogoth

Pyrogoth Mushroom Warrior

I don't get it.
    You have boots with two reliable mail, close to the highest armor in the game, and boots with two enchanted harness.
    You even have a pair with a force field.

And boots should be limited in armor ?

hell yeah ! I wish weapons would be as drastically limited in armor as boots !

I hope it doesn't sound too much sarcastic. I just didn't feel that boots should not have good armor cards. They just need to have at least one move card right ?

18. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I'm sorry you don't get it. I can try to explain. The biggest armors in the game should only show up on Heavy Armor. On rare occasion a Divine Armor might have one of these strong armor card (e.g. Grounding Plates is on one divine armor, still not sure why). Warriors are supposed to have more, and better, armor than priests and wizards. Because all classes have access to boots, we don't want boots to be able to give folks cards like Enchanted Mail, Barbed Platemail, or Grounding Plates. The 'No Keep armor over 2' is of course a line in the sand, but it's the line in the sand that's been in the game since before launch and I don't see much reason to change it.

19. Pyrogoth

Pyrogoth Mushroom Warrior

no warriors cards on boots. kay.

20. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

What about Cushioning Armor on boots? :p
    Please?......no? Didn't think so..