Aloyzo's Arsenal Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Jul 29, 2015.

1. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Shhh....>.>
    I misread :p

Mama Mia likes this.
  2. Mama Mia

Mama Mia Hydra

@lawduck I don't think Arcane Items have 4 cards. Revise your submission? :(

(lol im a forum police)

3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I'll be closing the contest around the end of the month. I have to say, while there are a lot of cool submissions, it's amazing how small the percentage of them is that actually follow the guidelines. Probably about 1/5 though I haven't actually tallied it. Also, this is the first month with submissions that just have totally erroneous card #s on them. :p

seth arue, Vakaz, Sir Veza and 3 others like this.
  4. lawduck

lawduck Kobold

Ha, shows what I know about the game. (I've only played for about a month.)

Edited.

5. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

As far as I can see, most of the items follow the guidelines you have set. (or maybe I should look through them again because they may have been edited)
    Of course there are some just stupidly OP ones but I dont remember you saying we cant do that ;)

timeracers likes this.
  6. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Follow or ....gasp, read guidelines? Ain't nobody got time for that. Especially since they aren't rules but just guidelines. :p

7. Mama Mia

Mama Mia Hydra

Ahh.. Sorry to bother you again...
    Your Arcane Item should probably have some Magic cards. Anyone know the exact rule for Arcane Items? Like how many Magic cards minimum? Help a fellow Card Hunter out!

8. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Thaumaturge

A good rule of thumb, as always, is to check and see if the cards you are adding to the item up here on any other items that fill the same slot. For example, when we check Traveling Curse and Hard To Pin Down, we find that Traveling Curse appears on one other arcane item, Viscous Locket, and that Hard To Pin Down does not actually appear on any other arcane items. Therefore traveling curse is technically an acceptable choice, but putting a hard to pin down on a arcane item does not follow the guidelines that Flaxative laid out. It's also important to note that because traveling curse appears on only one other item, it is not an ideal choice for the item in question.

Finally, it is important to remember that we are asked to build our items being around a specific monster, and if the monster in question does not have all of the cards that appear on the item in their deck, then the item in question is less likely to be selected as a result. I think it's a safe to assume that there is some wiggle room, in terms of selecting cards that are very close to cards that appear in a monster deck, but that for the most part, if the card doesn't make an appearance in your chosen monsters deck, it shouldn't make one on your items either.

9. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Very few of the items are themed on monsters. Most of them just have a shiny monster card mixed in ad-hoc with shiny player cards, design be damned. ;)

BlackVoidDeath likes this.
  10. Wocket

Wocket Orc Soldier

To be fair, there are a LOT of monster attacks that you couldn't possibly build an item around under your guidelines, since those monsters have no player attacks, but the card could only go on a weapon.

Edit - To clarify, I love the AA contest and appreciate all the work you put in on it, and I love the creative theme this month. Didn't want people to think I was a bitter grump. I might be, but I don't want people to think it.

Sir Veza and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yes, and? There're always going to be more things disallowed by the rules than allowed (for instance, I'm not letting people make new cards... or monsters... or item slots...) Some monsters are clearly better or worse choices for this contest.

Sir Veza and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  12. lawduck

lawduck Kobold

Noted, although I think that for flavor's sake both Hard to Pin Down and Traveling Curse are exactly what I wanted to convey. A hand of glory is the favored tool of sneakthieves, after all, and its use comes at a cost. That said, I think that both Mama Mia's and your comments can be handled by putting Acid Spray back in and pulling Hard to Pin Down.

(Emphasis added.) I have to disagree with the bolded bit, but I'm probably misunderstanding this from the call for submissions:

If the mechanics/metagame/design brief hold that a monster = the deck that the monster carries around, then you're probably right. I think a monster is more than the sum of its cards. And, I think that although the quoted section describes a need for cards to correctly align with items (the discussion above), I'm not seeing where it carries the mandate that the monster the item is themed against have the same/similar cards. But, again, total newb, what do I know, etc.

This game is lovely BTW, and I'm unsurprised to discover that the community is lovely as well :)

13. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I can confirm that Inkfingers' "less likely" is 100% correct. But how much less?!?!?!?!

ParodyKnaveBob and Inkfingers like this.
  14. lawduck

lawduck Kobold

@Flaxative thanks for the confirmation! I think I'm going to assume that ZHG is not getting picked and stop fiddling ;)

15. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

The problem here is that zombies (in CH) are not sneakthieves. (In fact, sneakthieves are the biggest threat to the zombie population.)

If I was making a zombie themed item, I'd give it Slowed. That card does not appear in any zombie's deck, but it would make the PC act like a zombie.

Vholes, Sir Veza, timeracers and 3 others like this.
  16. I thought the biggest threat to the zombie populatin was Simple Bash

Sir Veza, Inkfingers and Flaxative like this.
  17. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Thaumaturge

I thought that slow appeared in the deck of the hard-hitting Zombie at the end of the level 17 treasure hunt, king Ottencot or whatever his name was? or am I mixing that up with the one that appeared on the oozes in that same level? Either way, Slowed on a good zombie themed item probably falls in the realm of "too appropriate to reject on those grounds".
    Now I am imagining an item made up of six Simple Bashes called "the zombie saddener"

18. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

Well, since I never play the single-player campaign, I suppose I'm at a disadvantage in this contest. That being said, I honestly have no problem with just submitting items I'd love to use, and see if they ever get picked.

I'll obviously follow the rules as best I can each month, but I actually have more fun trying to find an item I'd use, I'd have fun using, and that fits within the rules as best it can. If that ends up disqualifying my item, then so be it.

I assume I'll never be using 2/3rds of the items eventually picked anyway, as they will be for priests and warriors. So, fun wizard items will be my concentration from here on out, ha.

Magic Elves and Sir Veza like this.
  19. Pyrogoth

Pyrogoth Mushroom Warrior

I also had that feeling. I can't say for sure I did it right. I had a lots of ideas for really fun items and strongly themed on monsters. But most of these ideas, well, I just realized I would never play with them, even in a fun deck. I found it really hard to build an item both strongly themed and that you would actually use in a deck.

Sir Veza and seth arue like this.
  20. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

If you were trying to make a player act like a zombie in terms of movement, making an armor with 2x Ill-fitting Armor would be the most appropriate course.
    Though those darn elves would still be fast. Stupid, scary-fast elven zombies.

This is valid.

The Oggencot formerly known as King does indeed have Slow, however, and with his fun shambling bashes, could make for a fun template for the event.
    Default Move Walk
    Attack 2 x Brains!
    2 x Infected Bite
    5 x Mighty Bludgeon
    3 x Powerful Bash
    Handicap 2 x Clumsy
    Movement 3 x Shuffle
    Hybrid 2 x Bash
    4 x Shambling Bash
    2 x Slowed

Oggencot's Will - Level 10.5, (minortoken)(minortoken)
    Shambling Bash, Bash, Bash, Powerful Bash, Slowed, Clumsy

I'd use it :)

'course it IS for a Halloween event. May as well name it Oggencot's Arm and be done with it :X

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    ParodyKnaveBob and seth arue like this.