[Suggestion/Speculation/Rambling/Daydream] Steampunk Robots

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Mama Mia, Aug 29, 2015.

?

New Robot race in Card Hunter?!

1. YES!

11.1%
  2. AWWH HELL NAW!!!

22.2%
  3. Other races first.

16.7%
  4. No new races please (don't even think about this one bro).

33.3%
  5. After the KITTYYSS!!!!1!!!!!1!

16.7%
  1. Mama Mia

Mama Mia Hydra

Hello, fellow murderhobos and adventurerererers of Cardhuntria!
    Today I present to you this suggestion/speculation/rambling/daydream/conspiracy theory.

So far, the lovely people over at Blue Manchu have released 2 AMAZING expansions to Card Hunter, Attack of the Artifacts and Expedition to the Sky Citadel. AotA has a Mayan/Aztec/Meso-American theme, while EttSC is a sci-fi adventure involving spaceships, mutants, and LASERS!

While it is quite early to be psyched about the next expansion, just thinking about it gets me jittery as heck! I wildly speculate that the next expansion will be steampunk-themed!!! If you don't know what steampunk means, I shall provide a brief explanation. Steampunk is a sub-genre of media and fashion with a Victorian flair, involving steam-powered advanced technology, zeppelins, gears, gothic elements, anachronism, brass, and lots of leather.

This leads me to the main topic: robots. There will be a new race, robots, or automatons in steampunk terms. But what about orcs and gnomes and halflings and drow and cat-people? We should add those first, Mama Mia!

Let me remind you that Card Hunter is not your typical fantasy RPG. We just had a sci-fi themed expansion like a month ago! Priest is a combination of healers, clerics, and paladins! This is why I think an unorthodox race like automatons could be added before... you know..... gnomes and things...

The Basics: Health and Movement
    Robots are already in the game (Cardotron 2000's Party)!
    All of Cardotron's characters have 29 health. So will your robotic characters.
    (Lemme know if you have a better idea :p)

The Robot (insert pic of the dance move): Move 2; roll 4+ to move an additional square.
    (Lemme know if you have a different suggestion :))

Racial Stuff (skills will look like floppy discs or USB's)
    Mechanical Workings: Trait. Attach this card to yourself. Duration 3. When you take Electrical damage, add 2 to that. When you take Frost damage add 1 to that.

Coolant Failure: Trait. Attach this card to yourself. Duration 2. Encumber 2.

Overheat: Trait. Attach this card to yourself. Duration 2. Burning 2.

Lubrication: Discard all encumber effects attach to you. Draw a card. Cantrip.

Scan & Analyze: Reveal a character's hand. (Sure hope this doesn't shorten to Scan Anal.)

Vent Exhaust: Create a random Burning card in you hand.

Self-Destruct: Create a Time Bomb in your hand.

Time Bomb: Trait. Attach this card to yourself. Duration 3. Burning 3. When you take fatal damage, attach this card to all enemies. (Is this the new Firestorm???)

Of course Automaton Skills will have Reliable Mail, Mimetic Armor, Heavy Armor, and other armor cards to counterbalance the bad cards. Maybe even a Force Field!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    Sir Veza, Flaxative and Maniafig like this.
  2. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Where's the No option?

Mama Mia likes this.
  3. Mama Mia

Mama Mia Hydra

"No"= "AWWH HELL NAW!!!"

4. Mama Mia

Mama Mia Hydra

Apparently some people don't want any new races to be added :(

5. Merdis

Merdis Orc Soldier

I would love to see a steampunk-themed expansion in the future (similar to EttSC and AoA with new custom skins, cards and adventures). However I don't think that introduction new races available to players is necessary at this point. I strongly believe that "less is more" rule is underused in game design nowadays. Introduction of many new races to Cardhuntria can introduce problems with race/class balance and make some of existing combinations obsolete.

Sir Veza and Mama Mia like this.
  6. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

I don't know whether I want robot race or not, but I like the idea and effort you put in, plenty of flavor in those traits.

Mama Mia likes this.
  7. Pyrogoth

Pyrogoth Mushroom Warrior

A steampunk expension should be nice. The low level golem adventure had a nice steampunk feeling I really enjoyed.

About a new race, it looks like a good idea not to try something entirely new in terms of rules, but rather a fun variation of an existing race.

robots here sound really nice. I couls also see free move 2 as the basic move card. may be a fun interaction with electricity ?
    Overcharge : trait. duration 3. whenever damaged by electricity or fire, replace the attachement with Overcharged. trait. duration 2. frenzy 2

Mama Mia likes this.
  8. Mama Mia

Mama Mia Hydra

OMG! Say your one warrior had a Mimetic Armor. Your opponent's wizard Mega Lasers you, triggering your Mimetic Armor and giving you a Spark. You zap your other warrior who has Overcharge and bam, frenzy 2. How about triggered just by electricity, though?

Free move 2? Not sure about that... Robots don't strike me as that agile....

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015