New player asking for a help

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Meredoth, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Meredoth

Meredoth Kobold

Hello all! I've just started playing the game (a week ago) and I love it.

I'm looking for an advice on which legendary items should I buy first (which would make the most impact improving my team) since I have the money to buy one, and only one, because the weekend event. I imagine weapons, but not sure. Vibrant and searing pain comes in mind, but the waiting could take too long too.

The only legendary I have that worths a mention is Raging Battler. <3

My main focus will be MP.

Also, in my Randimar's there's a Mordecai's Staff of Magma (VERY tempting) but I imagine I would need very specific items to be able to properly use it.

Many thanks for the help!

2. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Both items are worthwhile, but I doubt either would serve your needs very well at the moment. I'd recommend waiting for an item you can build around.

3. Meredoth

Meredoth Kobold

You mean searing pain and vibrant pain?

So any suggestion for an item I can build around? I'm running 1/1/1 only because it's easier to make item wise.

4. Fifjunior7

Fifjunior7 Hydra

All of these items are really good. However, I also agree with Sir Veza in the fact that as a starting player you should experiment on your own until you find something you enjoy building around. ;)

5. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

If you have only 2500g, then I'd recommend you invest in five epics rather than a single legendary. Or buy the items to make a proven MP party that works, like Cult of the Bejewelled.

Rarity =/= power!

Mordecai's is one of the power staffs, though a terrain wiz is tricky to play, especially without a complete build. You ideally want two Mords. But you could team it up with a Whiterune Staff, 4 x Runestone, Robes of Lightness, Glimmer Boots, a good racial and Electroporter Novice: all common and uncommon. There's a makeshift terrain wiz right there, and it'll take you a long way in SP as well.

So your MP 1/1/1 could be a Cult warrior, your choice of priest (with as many cleansing rays as you can pack on) and that terrain wiz. That would take you well above 1000 ELO, played properly of course.

6. Meredoth

Meredoth Kobold

Oh yeah, indeed rarity doesn't means better. I'm asking for a legendary because once I asked on the chat and people said that eventually I would have most of the epics, but would still miss LOTS of legendaries.

I'm on 919 right now, played 14 games, won 11. :)
    I just want to "play" smart and make the best choices on mid-long term.

That Mordecai... *.* I also got a Staff of Blazing Sparks, so it could duo with Mordecai.

7. Volcano is not really a beginner build. As in you will not have a very consistent deck at the beginning to play it well. If you want to play terrain, I suggest learning to use wall of fire and control until you pick up more volcanoes and a few Bless items.

8. UiA

UiA Ogre

Mordecai staff of magma I would recommend though not necessarily for immediately boosting your mp aspirations. It could indirectly help you in that way by helping you to farm certain campaign missions to increase your item hoard, thus increasing your build options in mp. Also I'd agree with happenstance that you would probably be better off spending limited funds buying 5 good epics for a more immediate boost in your mp prospects.

9. Better off asking whether specific legendaries that are available are worth it given what else you have and like to use, because Daily Deal only offers a random choice per day. Randimar's offers more at any one time, but only refreshes weekly. Therefore, if you focus on a particular legendary in advance, you might be waiting for a while... e.g. could be pointed out that Vibrant Pain will pair nicely with Raging Battler because Blind Rage will somewhat compensate for the low damage of Nimble Strike, and it's normally easy to burn excess Nimble Strike cards if you're worried about the psychic damage from having attack cards in hand at the beginning of next turn, but there's no guarantee whatsoever that a Vibrant Pain will be available to you anytime soon.

Mordecai's is neat, but arguably better stacked with a variety of relevant items (providing more control cards to encourage your enemies to burn movement or to counter their moving away from lava; purging and armor destruction, to get rid of hover/dimensional traveler/resistant hide; bless or cleansing, to make it easier for you to burn movement and allay suspicious about volcano cards; accelerate time, to take better advantage of an opportunity; and more volcano cards, for when your opponent has some moves left you didn't anticipate). Vastly less guile and care is required to use Volcano against AI, since the AI isn't going to see a pair of dwarf wizards and a priest who are hoarding movement and immediately guess that you're running a blesscano build... or to adapt as soon as you start a Volcano spamfest.

10. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

Volcano is a great attack, but as soon as you see a wiz with hover and dimensional traveller, you know what's going to happen. Yes, I know y'all play those traits on other wizzes for card cycling, but it still means I'm gonna wait to move until I have more than one move. So the general tactic is to have multiple volcs to play in a turn (let them move, volc again), and you need two Mords to ensure that.

There are a lot of cheaper builds that are going to be more effective for new players.

As has been mentioned, Mord is great for single player/co-op. And you should unlock all of the SP content, which allows you to run loot fairy twice a day, which nets 14 items (12 without club membership) a day. I'm pulling heaps of legendaries and epics from lootie runs.

11. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

There is no magic item that'll catapult you to the top of the rankings. Sure, something like Searing Pain might give you a short term boost but once you hit your rating plateau you'll have to go back to hard work and elbow grease. If your only goal is to win, my advice is to find a strategy that suits you and only buy things that'll improve it. If you're using multiplayer as a way to amass gold and items for lots of builds then I'd find a cheap build like this or this and grind away while buying whatever catches your fancy. Still just want a cheat sheet for items to look out for?

Legendary
    Bleneth's anything
    Darkblood Glaive
    Searing Pain
    Skull Of Savage Iljin
    Vibrant Pain

Epic
    Aegis Of The Defender
    Blazing Shortsword
    Ring Of Appropriation
    St. Olf's Fiery Pike

These are the items I would get over anything else for multiplayer but, and I can't stress this enough, they are not shortcuts to easy wins. There is no substitute for just sitting down and playing a bunch.

12. Meredoth

Meredoth Kobold

I really enjoy control things (in other games too). Which means I would probably enjoy volcano builds. How you guys think volcano builds perform in high levels? Specially when people knows what they are playing against?

And don't worry, I can think and build stuff for myself, I'm just asking an opinion so I could, in this beginning with few items, go in a direction that relatively works. When I have more items I'll for sure test myself. :)

@peonprop Thanks for the list! There's a Bleneth's Frenzy Tome in my weekly (didn't buy it because I'm still not 100% sure of what build I want to start, and the item seems like it would be good in a party with warrior and wizard). As for the epics, I have all besides blazing shortsword.

And just found another leg treasure, so I can now buy two legendaries. hehe

Sir Veza likes this.
  13. Bleneth's Frenzy Tome is excellent for 1/1/1, and I highly recommend picking it up.

Meredoth likes this.