[GUILD] Seasons

Discussion in 'Guilds' started by Farbs, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

November season 2014 still doesn't have an official name yet. I came up with "Fall of the Priests", referring to both the season and the upcoming balance changes, but someone else can probably do better.

2. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

How about Gnollvember?

(When the gnolls, err, I mean gnarls of Cardhuntria go to hibernate)

Abbus, Sir Veza and Flaxative like this.
  3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Vakaz likes this.
  4. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Thanks Flax!

The season names and descriptions can be scheduled in advance, they just haven't been due to an imagination drought on my part. So - got any suggestions for December, January, and so on?

Flaxative likes this.
  5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

6. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Pity we don't have the monsters for Djinnuary. It could be magical.

Jarmo likes this.
  7. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

8. Farbs

CHARTS!

Well, one new type of chart anyway. It turns out building SVGs on the fly is kind of fun. Scroll down to see it.
    Here you can see the meteoric rise of P&C in the late season, stalling St.exe's attempt to take down the early leading PoF. Drama!

I'm sure there's a lot that could be done to clean these up, but it's 1:30am and I really need some sleep. Suggestions and feedback are still very welcome though.

In the mean-time I'll be watching the little worms crawl across the screen IN THE CURRENT SEASON.

Magic Elves and Vakaz like this.
  9. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I'm the most consistent! I'm the most consistent!

Flaxative and Sir Veza like this.
  10. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

So "devastated" happens when the other player gets one VP or less now? Didn't it used to be 0 stars?

11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Always worked this way :)

12. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Its hard to read the labels of the graphs, but does the current season have two lines for the Sorcererers?

13. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

The graph does seem to split occasionally (I once saw five different St.exe guilds competing with around four Pizzas and coffees), but if you refresh a couple of times after a few minutes, it should go back to normal.

14. Farbs

Weeeird! I'll keep an eye out for that.

15. Farbs

I've been reading the Associated Press Style Guide and thinking - should I change the history reports to a more condensed format? eg:

1 Jan., 2014, 12:12 a.m. - Flaxative, Sorcererers, defeated SomeRandomKnave earning 1 point.
    1 Jan., 2014, 12:34 a.m. - Farbs, NinetyNineKnaves, blitzed Flaxative, Sorcererers, capturing 32 points.

16. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

How about Username (Guild) instead of using commas?

17. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

+1 to Username (Guild). And how about Flax obliterating Farbs instead? :p

18. Farbs

I wanted it to be clear that my example was fictional :)

I think the bracket approach looks much nicer, but I really want to invoke the sports writing tone for this, in which case they aren't quite right.

I've updated the site with this and I think the histories are much easier to read now. I've also moved point changes to their own column and added an Administration filter, so you can quickly see recruitments, resignations, dismissals etc.

My ideal outcome for all this is to produce short daily season reports, highlighting player achievements, dissecting season trends, and basically shining a light on all the drama that lies hidden among these statistics. I think the next step is to build automated daily summaries, to help find those stories to write about.

19. Farbs

UPDATE:
    Tonight I fixed the bizarro many-names-smeared-everywhere bug and added grid lines, axis labels etc.
    The day labels should give me a good link point for daily summaries - they're pretty small, but I don't really expect anyone else to use them so I'm not too worried.

Magic Elves and Flaxative like this.
  20. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Here's the CSS for a hover effect on the polylines, though it would work better if the polylines / tag for each line were grouped and elements had some kind of class identifier.

Code:
    svg:hover polyline[stroke-width="2"] {
      stroke: #aaa;
    }

svg:hover polyline[fill-opacity="0.5"] {
      fill: #aaa;
    }

svg:hover text {
      fill: #fff;
    }

svg:hover polyline[fill-opacity="0.5"]:hover {
      fill: red;