Dungeon of the Lizard Priest 1HP

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by Cheesie, May 27, 2020.

1. Cheesie

Cheesie Kobold

We are FTP farming quests for rare items, but seem rather stuck on the 1HP quest for Dungeon of the Lizard Priest--specifically, the last fight, the Lizardman Guardians. Our strategy so far has been to stack wizards to attack from a distance, but we can neither hide from the (range 4) netters nor kill them before they can kill us, and our armor cards are either armor 1 (which does not protect against a damage 2 net) or unreliable. I'm thinking that perhaps we should run a warrior stacked with armor and blocks, a healer with no divine items for Armor of Faith, and a wizard to finish the warrior and Slub Gut, but this seems inefficient. Any suggestions?

2. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Armor of Faith is a great idea, but as you know, only one hit at a time. How many usable items do you have with Impenetrable Nimbus? $;^ J

Side note, I was SO confused when you wrote FTP... Had to think for awhile what you meant... Ohhh, "free to play," ha ha ha ha ha ha – welcome to the Cardhuntrian community, where the whole game is assumed F2P except most likely the expansion adventures; CH is in no serious way a P2W mess, demonstrated by players known to stay at #1 in PvP and finish every adventure without spending a dime! (However, it's lovely to buy bundles and stuff from the devs, too, if you ever change your mind, heheh.)

Regards,

Sir Veza, Cheesie and fatcat__25 like this.
  3. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

ParodyKnaveBob, Sir Veza and Cheesie like this.
  4. Gast86

Gast86 Ogre

I used a level 4 wizard for low 1hp quests. That way you get to put Resistant Hide and still have a very small deck, so you'll draw it soon.

5. Cheesie

Cheesie Kobold

None, unfortunately. We're operating with one minor power token on this level, and have no items that grant either Impenetrable Nimbus nor Force Field (which would be preferable, actually) without a major power token.

Right, "F2P", not "FTP". Noted. That's cool; I didn't realize people did that. If we bought something, it would probably be quests, but we have a lot of content to get through first.

Thanks. I didn't see that first thread.

Good general tip, thank you. Unfortunately, it's pretty useless for this fight, since the only damage it would prevent is the afterburn from Poisoned Spear Stab--but we'd still die from the initial 2 damage.

ParodyKnaveBob and Sir Veza like this.
  6. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

You finished the main campaign without getting a single Shielding Token? Also check if you have items with Lifesaving Block.

The point of level 4 wizards is that the enemies die from Firestorm before they can attack you.

7. Cheesie

Cheesie Kobold

Frankly, with my previous experience with Card Hunter, the early campaign wasn't very challenging. At some point, we decided just to power level to the CardStock II Secret Preview, then switch mostly to questing. So our only two items with Impenetrable Nimbus are the Twilight Talisman and the Medallion Of St. Virgus, both of which require major power tokens.

Right, I forgot. We have one Orb Of Flames and one Staff Of The Inferno, so that would be a total of three Firestorm across all three decks, even assuming that the wizard that loaded Firestorm also happened to draw Resistant Hide in the first round. I don't think we could make it work.

By the way, you probably knew, but your signature images aren't working.

Edit: Somehow, we also have no items with Lifesaving Block. We've beaten the other 1HP quests up to this point without problems, though, just using elven wizards (and one dwarf because SOMEONE insists on it).

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Sir Veza and fatcat__25 like this.
  8. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

In that case, I'd recommend just playing adventures in normal mode each day to grow your collection. Quest reward really aren't worth the effort; they're just bragging rights. Loot Fairy is always at least twice as good.

Actually, I didn't know that. I disabled showing signatures years ago, and no one else has commented on it. So I'll just delete the whole thing.

9. Cheesie

Cheesie Kobold

The thing is that we play only once a week for half an hour, so we want to make it worth it. Our methods might well be suboptimal, but we are having more fun this way. We would just like to know how best to beat this fight with our small collection.

Wasn't there a blog post a while back saying that quests now give the same loot as the Loot Fairy?

Edit: Added images of our current expected loadout. Do we have a good shot at it if we play carefully and well? Plan is for Reggie to take fire from netters and kill them, then Zappy can take out the warrior and Slub Gut over time from a distance, while Bashendash provides support as she can.

Reggie.PNG Zappy.PNG
    Bashendash.PNG

Sir Veza likes this.
  10. Blizzrd33

Blizzrd33 Orc Soldier

Not that I'm aware of.

When I did this map on 1HP my plan was to outshoot the lizards with all wizard team using lots of Big Zaps and Sparks and plenty of moves like Flanking Move.

I don't think a plan of absorbing damage is a good one, they will likely fire off more attacks than you can deal damage back each round if you pack too many blocks. Best of luck if you can pull it off though!

ParodyKnaveBob, Cheesie and Sir Veza like this.
  11. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

In that case my advice is to forget 1HP quests. As you've seen, they are much harder than other quests, and it'll just get worse at higher levels (heck, Slub Gut is really hard at 1HP).

I'd focus on building my collection, starting with doing the Loot Fairy whenever you can, and trying to do at least one module near level 6 (Shieldhaven, kobold mines, or Forest of Souls), or near level 18 (CardStock, Metallic) each session. Level 6 has some of the most powerful items in the game (because they are tokenless), and level 18 has 1/5 of all the legendaries in the game.

Loot Fairy with co-op is minimum 4 rares and 2 uncommons. What are you getting from co-op quests?

As for your party, the most obvious thing is that your priest needs to replace all those useless healing spells with attacks or traits. If you don't have items for that, replace the char with a warrior or wizard.

Sir Veza, ParodyKnaveBob and Cheesie like this.
  12. Cheesie

Cheesie Kobold

I appreciate your advice and I'll pass it on to the others. We might skip the 1HP quests, but I frankly think we'll keep questing and running Mauve Manticore for now. We like challenges and bragging rights and don't know how long we'll continue. (Actually, I just realized that we have unlocked The Metallic Monstrosity, and OH WOW it has SECURITY ROBOTS, so I think I know what we'll be doing next. :p )

I'm not sure what we get from quests; nowhere on the Internet seems to say except the Card Hunter blog, and that's down now. It's not co-op, though; we are a single player, but three dudes running a character apiece for the lulz. I main Bashendash and

To be fair, Minor Heal isn't usually useful anyway. I just thought that Armor of Faith might be a game saver against all the nets, and my sole item that has Armor of Faith also has Demonic Revenge (which is rather ironic, I think). I'll think about alternative strategies.

Using loads of cantrip moves to reach cover on turn 1?

Sir Veza likes this.
  13. Blizzrd33

Blizzrd33 Orc Soldier

Not so much, the flanking moves are usually to either bring a wizard close enough to the enemy to fire a Big Zap at the enemy without first being stabbed or to retain priority at the end of the round. Overall the plan isn't defensive, it is aggressive. Some of your wizards will die, but as long as one lives you still win the 1 HP quest. Sometimes you need to get lucky and hope the AI randomly passes. If you play defensively, I found my odds of winning at 1HP were harder than playing aggressively.

If you get better equipment over time, the staff of choice for 1HP quests using wizards can be Staff of Chask because it's Punishing Bolts can one-shot the 10HP lizards if you have priority at the start of the round.

As previously mentioned, 1HP quests are often the hardest type for a given map. If you want to build up your inventory quickly I'd recommend playing multiplayer. When you start out with a low MP ranking there are lots of relatively easy battles to be won against AI opponents such as Mom which give good chest rewards including some purple chests. Once your MP ranking gets to over 1000, it is more likely you'll be matched against human opponents but when your ranking is low there aren't usually that many other similarly low-ranked human players to be matched with at a given time that you are online.

14. Cheesie

Cheesie Kobold

I like this idea. Can you tell me more? Using Big Zaps, it would seem to take four turns to eliminate the netters, whereas they can kill you in three. How did you get around this? Luck?

Sir Veza likes this.
  15. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Btw, the "FTP" vs "F2P" wasn't my point – it was that CH is so not-P2W, that you pretty much never have to ask about "F2P strategies" here. $;^ J

And ah, yeah, if you just blew through the campaign asap, then no wonder you're missing so many adventuring staples. Enter leagues, even if you don't play, to get lots loots, and don't be afraid to buy common gear from the shops if it's what you need; unlike most other card/RP games, rarity ≠ quality here. Hu La Houp's Vicious Circle is hilarious, but I'd rather equip Bejewelled Shortsword nearly any day. Sorry for not linking; all my posting is from phone until laptop's usable again – likewise, sorry for missing Dungeon's token level.

Sir Veza, Cheesie and fatcat__25 like this.
  16. Blizzrd33

Blizzrd33 Orc Soldier

Staff of Chask from the staff slots plus Big Zap from the arcane item slots, plus some luck and getting priority as much as possible each round.

If you don't have Staff of Chask, a staff with sparks that do 3 damage at 4 range will still be good with the arcane trait that adds 2 damage to all sparks. Takes two hits but at range you might OK.

17. Cheesie

Cheesie Kobold

Noted. That's one reason I love Card Hunter, and I wish there were some way to keep it from dying.

We dropped into multiplayer to get the load of starting items. I'm not sure we want to pay to enter contests we won't play. What sort of rewards are we talking about here?

Noted on buying common items. That seems like a good idea.

No problem on any count.

Ooh, I forgot about Punishing Bolt. And Zappy's player loves Spark Generator. I'll see what we can whip up. Thanks!

Sir Veza and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  18. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

19. Cheesie

Cheesie Kobold

I see. How much does entering a league cost, and how do I know when one is about to start?

20. Nosgoup

Nosgoup War Monkey

Leagues are on a 5hr rotation and cost 50 gold to enter. You do this in MP (the button in the top left corner of the Campaign screen) via the Castle in the center of the screen, at any time during the first 90 mins* when the icon is displayed in white. The signpost to its right displays the upcoming tournaments, the maps, and the times that the sign-up phases commence.

*Providing that you've left enough time to get into a group with 5 other competitors. Don't leave it too near the buzzer and miss out; however, your entry fee will be refunded in such case.