[Technical] Some Notes on Victory and Death

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Kalin, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I like poking at things to see what happens, and some of these things you shouldn't ever see in the official maps. I may add to this when I think of more things to poke at.

----------

When damage is dealt to a character, the game immediately checks for death and deals with that death before continuing with the effect chain.

Example: I was down to one char with 3 health, a gnome hit her for 8 damage, Spiked Mail triggers killing the gnome, and I win on points before the 6 damage hits my char.

----------

When a char dies, the player who doesn't control it gains points for it, then the game checks both players to see if anyone is now out of chars. This is the only time the game checks for empty parties.

Example 1: I start the game with five chars, Gary starts with none, one of my chars kills another of mine, Gary gets the points but I get the victory.

Example 2: Only one char on the board, she commits suicide, other player wins.

----------

When victory squares are contested, the game counts squares occupied by each player, not chars on victory squares. (Also, dead chars can't occupy victory squares.)

Example:
    vs-test.png

2. Unlucky Scarecrow

Unlucky Scarecrow Goblin Champion

I wonder if some campaign missions could be redesigned with this in mind. You know the module Against the Cockroaches? IIRC, the final encounter is supposed to be timed by the opponent being on a victory square and unable to be moved off. If he was a 2x2 creature and the entire map was victory points, he could move freely wherever he wanted and the countdown couldn't be stopped.

3. progammer

progammer Ogre

If 2x2 char can't be affected by multiple terrain attachment, he shouldn't claim more than one victory point either. Agreed

4. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

When one of player A's chars dies, player B gets points for it, even if the death was caused by one of A's cards. And then the game checks if B has reached their VP target; the game does not check A's VP target, not even if A caused the death.

Examples: A has 4x Giant Cockroaches, B has Kobold Priest1 and Fire Sprite; VP targets: 3/0.
    Example 1: B kills one Cockroach and immediately wins.
    Example 2: A kills one Cockroach and B immediately wins.
    Example 3: A kills Kobold Priest1, gets 2 stars, B does not win.
    Example 4: B kills Fire Sprite, A gets 1 star, B does not win.