Caverns of Chaos

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Obernoob, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

How far did you get in the Caverns?

Tried it for the first time on the actual server and got till level 7. There I had to fight good melees together with Oak Bombardies, which are unbeatable without Nimbus.

Flaxative likes this.
  2. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

The race is on!

I probably won't be able to give it a go until later today but I'm very much looking forward to it.

3. haesslicherBob

haesslicherBob Lizardman Priest

First try on real server: Death on lvl 8.

I think it is a rule of thumb that you get 3 wizards in lvl 8 and you are facing at least a pack of Wyvverns or Oak Bombardiers (derived from a giant sample size of 3; including two runs on the test server).
    The screenshot is at the end of round one. Imminent annihilation...
    lvl8.jpg

4. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Got to level 3 the first time but then got a team of three Dwarf Wizards in an open map with melee mobs. Wyverns were also there. I don't like Wyverns.

Second time I got to map 7. It was the same map I died on before. This time there were Wyverns, War Dogs, Green Jellies and Marksmen. It didn't go very well, my warrior got overrun, my Elf Wizard laid down some LoS-blocking terrain but the enemy had way more moves than I had terrain and my Dwarf Wizard laid down some Lava but it didn't work since the enemies kept moving. I'm not sure how you're meant to stay away from big mobs that draw tons of movement and easily surround you.

I'm still determined to win though!

EDIT: Managed to kill all 6 enemies with the same Laser Cutdown on my third try, don't see that happen very often.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  5. Made to stage 8, then got stomped.

Human wizard, elf wizard, elf warrior... against 3 Lizardman Darters, 3 Green Jellies, 3 Lightning Sprites, 2 Plant Pygmies on map with very long lines of sight.

6. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

Made it to the final stage on the first run through, to face Blitzy, two tan moulds, three flying monkeys and Alet Zhav. Blitzy with a focused party is tough enough, but with what basically amounts to a starter party complete with unreliable blocks and plenty of turns where you draw 1-3 attacks across the board, and getting whomped by acorn slings, he's impossible. Had plenty of elvish insight to see that my previous nine parties wouldn't have dented him. Good value in farming the lower levels, though, but it's going to be hard to justify a 2 hour time investment for a less than 5% chance of winning a legendary treasure. The MP returns are much better than that.

Christofff and billiska like this.
  7. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

Me neither. I justed beat the adults ones, but it was close with them having double Grounding Armors and many big attacks.

P.S.: Again got killed on level 7. I just drew not enough damage, while my elfes took too many hits from the range monsters.

8. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Had a really good run for most of my sixth attempt, even managed to get to the final level!

[​IMG]

Was quite surprised to see I got one of the legendary characters, the 'Elf' Wizard Pain! She had quite a lot of Fireballs and of course a Flash of Agony, but like any Elf Wizard she's very frail so I had to be careful with my movement. Especially since those Umber Bulks will send you where you want to be least. Alonzo was definitely a nuisance as well, sniping from afar. I did have a moment of relief from an Illusory Barrier from Pain, but a regular Crossbowman alone is already a massive pain for just about anyone. The Carrion Scuttlers didn't get to do much compared to the other mobs, they were too slow and couldn't take the heat from all the Fireballs. Perhaps the luckiest thing that happened for me was getting Greenfang as the final boss, he's a far cry from Xanthicicus or the dreaded Blitzenkripper, probably one of the easiest bosses you can get, unless there's a boss that has no ranged attacks whatsoever. Greenfang actually spent the first 2 rounds just standing around without doing anything!

[​IMG]

Alas, it was not meant to be, though, the Umber Bulks caught up with me and any attempts to make my warrior engage or wizards flee would just send them Dashing the entirely wrong way, and I didn't get any moves that could bait them out effectively. The unnamed Elf Wizard died surrounded by two Umber Bulks while also tearing through most of the armour my Elf Warrior accumulated, though it'd not have saved her from being chomped down by a penetrating attack from Greenfang. Pushed into a corner Pain intended to show that an Elf Wizard is most dangerous when under extreme duress, but as impressive as a Nimbly Striking Elf Wizard is, it doesn't help you not get eaten by a green Dragon. People say that the legendary Wizard Pain earned her name for the things she did during her life, but it's just as fitting of a description for her final moments.

FDrybob, Christofff, Sir Veza and 6 others like this.
  9. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

Failed in the fourth round against Spark Health and Human Mercanaries. The Sparks combined with Teleports were to much to catch them before they did too much damage. The penetrating stabs of the mercanaries were also brutal. One of the first rounds with just movements on all my characters might also have been part of that problem.

10. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yay! Someone got Pain!

11. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

I still want that costume. (I have pizzas)

12. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

I have not played CoC yet but I have a question: as I can see in this picture
    the mage has a priest card, does that mean that dwarf warriors can draw Greater Heal and elf wizards can draw Toughness?

13. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Pain is a special 'legendary character' who doesn't fit the normal character restrictions. There are a few others like Xander that can come up at random in the final three battles of CoC.

14. CT5

CT5 Guild Leader

Wym and Bleneth are other examples, which you can see in my first attempt:

Second run:

Actually, I guess I lost the first battle on my very first run, huh >_>

Regardless, expect more of these in the future (or just catch it on stream at www.twitch.tv/ctfive)!

15. Spifff

Spifff Kobold

I was killed by security robots on level 8 when they decided they didn't care about collateral damage.

16. Rohndil

Rohndil Hydra

My best was level 9, on the verge of victory my last elf wizard died to a travelling curse (thanks radioactive bites).
    It's hard and fun as advertised, but to preserve my sanity I'll probably limit myself to only one two some runs per session.

Ian, Sentient_Toaster and CT5 like this.
  17. hwango

hwango Hydra

Still working on my first run through, up to Node 5 or 6 or something. It's been mostly fun, but I'm taking a break (such a relief you can log out between battles and not lose your progress), because that last fight took me 25 rounds. I had 2 ooze human priests and an ooze human fighter, and several of my opponents were black oozes. An enormous proportion of the attack cards on my guys dealt crushing damage, and I had no way remove the black ooze's Amorphous Body. So there was a great deal of stalling until the fighter would draw one of his 3 or so attacks that dealt non-crushing damage, the priests would draw Lunging Thrust, or even that one of the priests would draw Laser Block, block an ooze attack, and draw a card that dealt laser damage. That was...really just plain exhausting.

timeracers, CT5 and Flaxative like this.
  18. Vholes

Vholes Thaumaturge

I enjoyed my first try quite a bit. Lost on map 6 when my two buffbots went off with altruism + surestrike blessings + wings of faith + limited heal, drawing... well... half a dozen purges and terrain cleansers.

The best thing about random battles is you can always find something to blame besides your skill.

Fry, Juxtapostion, Vacuity and 6 others like this.
  19. idontexist

idontexist Kobold

I really enjoy this level. I got to level 8 on my first run where I got stomped by Wyverns and Oaks

20. Brishna

Brishna Kobold

So i completed CoC and i have a question. It actually went exhausted which i thought wouldnt happen. Also on lvl nine i got 2 rares while the minimum reward should be epic.
    My question is: if i complete it again will i still get a crown of chaos? and is there a new reward for return to the CoC?

Sir Veza likes this.