Another Card Hunter Video

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by LightPhoenix, Jan 14, 2013.

1. LightPhoenix

LightPhoenix Orc Soldier

Hey everyone!

So, I've said a couple of times I wanted to do an "unboxing" video. I figured that it would be a little bit before I got into the beta, so I wasn't too worried about getting it done. I was wrong.

I got my beta key last Thursday. Unfortunately this weekend was pretty busy for me, and I haven't gotten to play much at all, let alone do all the post-processing stuff (which wasn't much) for the videos. Even so, I recorded my initial game, and am finally uploading it to YouTube as we speak! I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions on how to make things better, or if there's anything else people would like to see.

A couple of notes:

I'm aware the video quality is not super-awesome. It's my first time actually recording gaming, let alone anything with Fraps while doing commentary. I'm working to improve this in subsequent videos. However, since it was supposed to be an initial reaction, I couldn't really go and re-record. My apologies.

As far as stuff to cover, the one area I'm ambivalent on is multiplayer. On the one hand, I know it's a part of the game people want to see, and I should at least make an attempt to check it out. On the other hand, I'm don't really enjoy multiplayer games. I play games to relax, not to compete. It's very much a personal sort of experience for me. So I'm not sure if I will cover it or not. I don't think it's bad, I want to make that clear. It's just not something I'm terribly interested in.

Alright, enough nonsense. Onto the videos!

(Parts 4 and 5 coming shortly, check my YT channel if they're not up yet)

EDIT:

2. Hallas

Hallas Mushroom Warrior

Thanks for the videos! Going through them now. Great idea going with the "unboxing" method - I like following along right from the start!

3. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

The next best thing to actually playing the game! I was worried when I realized it was a voiced vid (as a lot of youtubers out there really should stay silent for the sake of humanity), but I quickly realized I kinda dug your sense of humour!

For anyone wondering, I believe this is the full tutorial covered there.

Also, not to forget - everything is better with bacon.

4. bazzaman

bazzaman Mushroom Warrior

I was trying to keep away from checking the forums every half an hour, but vids like this make me so looking forward to getting a beta key through my email inbox:).

I am sure the next load will be out soon and I will be lucky to get one.

5. LightPhoenix

LightPhoenix Orc Soldier

Thanks! This does indeed cover the full "tutorial." I use quotes because there are things that have pop-ups once they get introduced for the first time (for example, traits and victory squares). However, the video ends with the introductory adventures unlocking.

One of the big things I'm trying to get a handle on is how much I should be talking. I watch a fair number of gaming videos on YT, so I have a general idea of the feel I'm going for. Still, especially given it's my first time, I'm still figuring it out as I go. I'm a big fan of Robbaz, in that you can tell he genuinely enjoys playing games and being silly. My goal is to generally be a little bit of a dialed back version of his style. Doing the post-recording stuff, one of the things I really worried about was the large amount of "dead air" from not talking. I was involved in radio during college, so my instinct is to be filling it versus letting the game speak for itself. I think I hit a decent balance.

I actually got pretty lucky in recording; there were only two things I wanted to edit out and both times I wasn't actually playing the game. The first was a rather boring tangent on line-of-sight in other games; it was interesting but since I wasn't actually playing the game, it killed the pace. The second was a rather stupid off-color joke that I just didn't want associated with either myself or the game.

Thanks! It was always my intention to do the entire tutorial as I first played it. I don't want to simply record the whole game, every time I play. For one thing, repeating dungeons would get a little boring! On that note, I have played the game a little bit more without recording (maybe 3 hours total game time, including the tutorial). I'll probably do a small recap prior to my next video covering what changed.

6. Kinetic

Kinetic Kobold

Thanks for the videos! Your obsession with herring is troubling...

Haxzploid likes this.
  7. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Great job, sadly i missed my chance to do this as i was too giddy with excitement to notice my fraps stopped partly through the first map >.<

8. Joshua

Joshua Kobold

Wow, thanks so much for taking the time. We are loving these vids, thanks LightPhoenix

9. Kahar

Kahar Mushroom Warrior

Just finished watching the whole series. Great stuff. Thanks for the hard work Light! Looking forward to more.

10. Katalizator

Katalizator Kobold

Evil Video just makes me want to play more... =)

11. Szczypior

Szczypior Orc Soldier

Thanks! Keep posting for those without beta :) Game looks great!

12. Drakeye

Drakeye Kobold

More Bacon!! :)